Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-17-2021, 12:37 PM   #701
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to a 5 from IPhone. Picked the 5 because of the water-resistance with a 4 year old. Don't regret it at all.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:24 PM   #702
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
4a5g user here. I like it especially at the price point. I think you can buy this one new for $650. There is no wireless charging in this version but I knew that and chose the bugger screen rather than wireless charging. No complaints from me and I like the stock Google vs skinned Samsung or LG etc.
Ordered this one, it was the screen size that got me too. Looking forward to setting it up!
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:43 PM   #703
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Ordered this one, it was the screen size that got me too. Looking forward to setting it up!
It's nothing super fancy but I like it. I've had Nexus or Pixel phones for years now and really like them. I briefly went to an iPhone 11 after I dropped my Pixel 3XL but only lasted a month and switched the 4a5g. No regrets there.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:19 AM   #704
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

So Android 12... those of us without Google phones... what's a realistic timeframe after public release? Like on my S21 Ultra, for instance. How long does Samsung take to update to the latest version? Am I going to have to wait and buy an S22 in order to get it?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:23 AM   #705
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
So Android 12... those of us without Google phones... what's a realistic timeframe after public release? Like on my S21 Ultra, for instance. How long does Samsung take to update to the latest version? Am I going to have to wait and buy an S22 in order to get it?
Samsung now promises three major Android updates for its flagship line. The S20 got the Android 11 update about three-four months after the official final release.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2021, 03:25 PM   #706
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh im giddy about hopping off the samsung train and into the Pixel 6 pro. By gawd! Its pixel! They're back and str9nger than ever!

Truth time though, hope their inhouse chipset works out nicely. Thats the big risk right now.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2021, 06:32 AM   #707
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ya I'm not sure how Samsung has so much of a following. Switching to Android I've had the Nexus 5 (loved it) Galaxy S8 (hated it) OnePlus 5T (loved it) OnePlus 6 (still using) Galaxy S20 FE 5G (switched back to the OnePlus)

My girlfriend has had an S9 and S10 and both have been glitchy and clunky, which is the experience with my two Samsungs as well.

I'll be going back to a new OnePlus or maybe the new pixel. Hard to find the features I want all on one phone.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:18 PM   #708
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

In all honesty, OnePlus 8 Pro was the phone I really had my eyes on, once I'd decided that I was finally bored enough with iPhone to make the switch to Android. Until I started reading about its rounded screen edges and how annoying they are.

I ended up going with an LG v60 dual screen instead, which I really liked, but didn't like the LG version of Android.

Then I went to the Note 20 Ultra, and while I really enjoyed the overall experience, the rounded screen edges drove me bonkers with my Donald Trump hands and my palm hitting the side of the screen and screwing everything up everytime I went to tap on something.

Now I have an S21 Ultra, and its edges aren't quite as bad as the Note's was. Plus I have the same wallet case for it that I used to use for all my iPhones (they don't make one for the Note or the LG), so I'm pretty happy.

The rounded screen edges have to be the worst design choice that has ever caught on, though. I don't know who started it, but it really needs to die.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 02:48 PM   #709
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
these Pixel 6 render leaks...I dunno. I'm due for an update now that Pixel 2 is off the support train, and I know a case will make this bump less prominent but why isn't technological advancement making these camera bumps smaller with time? unless I'm getting true DSLR performance out of these, the software/AI based photo capabilities makes even mediocre lenses do just fine under nearly all conditions.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021...ve-new-design/
IDK, I'm sitting here with my Galaxy S10 and haven't seen a phone that's remotely interesting until this one. Looks cool to me and the bump is fine for the better photos it'll surely capture. Basically, the best thing about phones is the pictures they take. Love how Google always throws those "Five Years Ago Today" memories at me.

I've never had a problem with Samsung phones, though. Mine is still fine, but I'm just bored of it. Wouldn't mind trying out the Pixel since Samsung stopped innovating a couple generations ago. Had thought about getting the Flip, but still can't justify the price to myself. If this Pixel is like half the price I think I'll grab it. See what all the Android purists are always raving about.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:31 PM   #710
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
IDK, I'm sitting here with my Galaxy S10 and haven't seen a phone that's remotely interesting until this one. Looks cool to me and the bump is fine for the better photos it'll surely capture. Basically, the best thing about phones is the pictures they take. Love how Google always throws those "Five Years Ago Today" memories at me.

I've never had a problem with Samsung phones, though. Mine is still fine, but I'm just bored of it. Wouldn't mind trying out the Pixel since Samsung stopped innovating a couple generations ago. Had thought about getting the Flip, but still can't justify the price to myself. If this Pixel is like half the price I think I'll grab it. See what all the Android purists are always raving about.
some more recent renders. aside from the custom Google SoC, they are significantly bumping the memory and storage on these so they are gonig to be priced closer to flagships than midrangers. but the latest rumour is they are planning 5 years of OS upgrades now that they won't have to rely on Darth Qualcomm. that by itself might be worth the extra couple hundred bucks.

Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:49 PM   #711
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
some more recent renders. aside from the custom Google SoC, they are significantly bumping the memory and storage on these so they are gonig to be priced closer to flagships than midrangers. but the latest rumour is they are planning 5 years of OS upgrades now that they won't have to rely on Darth Qualcomm. that by itself might be worth the extra couple hundred bucks.

Five years of OS support is awesome, but they really need to address the fact that the battery is so degraded by 2.5 years and they're not removable anymore. Wish I could just swap in a new battery every couple years in a phone.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 04:28 PM   #712
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Five years of OS support is awesome, but they really need to address the fact that the battery is so degraded by 2.5 years and they're not removable anymore. Wish I could just swap in a new battery every couple years in a phone.
Most phones you still can, but it takes 30 minutes to an hour. Simple battery swaps would be great to have again, but I don't think the manufacturers have much motivation to do that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:12 PM   #713
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Simple battery swaps would be great to have again, but I don't think the manufacturers have much motivation to do that.
Water resistance is the issue there.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:10 AM   #714
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Water resistance is the issue there.
Is it though? I can swap out the batteries on my 100% waterproof GoPro without issue. Surely something similar can be done with cellphones?

I mean I agree to a certain extent. The more doors or access points, greater the potential for water penetration but I've been in and out of lakes and oceans, down to pretty good depth and never had water seeping in.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:48 PM   #715
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure of the impact it will have but they have started to build some battery saver features into the pixel phones. They released adaptive charging in one of the feature drops that charges up your phone slower when you charge at night based on your alarm time. Also saw they've launched something that will only charge your battery to 80% in certain scenarios.

Both intended to help with battery health.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2021, 11:58 PM   #716
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not fast charging makes the battery last far longer.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:39 AM   #717
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Not sure of the impact it will have but they have started to build some battery saver features into the pixel phones. They released adaptive charging in one of the feature drops that charges up your phone slower when you charge at night based on your alarm time. Also saw they've launched something that will only charge your battery to 80% in certain scenarios.

Both intended to help with battery health.
This is REALLY hit/miss for me. It works maybe once out of 10 times. On the Pixel Stand anyways, may be different plugging it in.

I restart my phone before bed, works every time. Next night not so much.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:13 AM   #718
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Is it though? I can swap out the batteries on my 100% waterproof GoPro without issue. Surely something similar can be done with cellphones?

I mean I agree to a certain extent. The more doors or access points, greater the potential for water penetration but I've been in and out of lakes and oceans, down to pretty good depth and never had water seeping in.
Now make a GoPro with a swappable battery as thin as a phone, or try to sell a phone as thick and robust as a GoPro. Even the beefcake CAT S-series phones don't have removable batteries, and being thin and light is not one of their selling points.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2021, 01:52 PM   #719
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

ok so pretty much all the leaks on the Pixel 6 turned out to be true, with the Pro version getting the 6.7" 120Hz screen, 12GB RAM and telephoto lens. dammit I have resisted the behemoth phone trend up to this point, but I think there's a bit too much difference between the two models now to pass up.

this is going to be a monster leap from my toddler sized Pixel 2, just hoping my pants don't explode (or if they do it's from how awesome the phone performs and not how physically large it is).

Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 02:21 PM   #720
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a perfectly functioning Samsung s8 and just got an email from my company's it dept saying unless I update to a new phone I won't be able to access corporate email etc. They say my software is more than 8 months old and the s8 is no longer getting updates (from android 9 to 10?)

Sucks as the phone works just fine.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote