Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2021, 10:14 AM   #4021
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Yeah, that is pretty crazy nearly $100 after taxes for 16-20 hours. Disappointing.
16-20 hours seems decent enough for a platformer and I imagine part of that has to do with the game being pretty accessible. I would take that over Returnal which is at its core a 5 hour game of three levels stretched out by inability to save, random drops that feel spiteful at times, and unfair difficulty.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:18 AM   #4022
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
16-20 hours seems decent enough for a platformer and I imagine part of that has to do with the game being pretty accessible. I would take that over Returnal which is at its core a 5 hour game of three levels stretched out by inability to save, random drops that feel spiteful at times, and unfair difficulty.
I think at the price point both games are disappointing. But Like I said, I have the physical copy and will play it, beat it and then trade in for as much as I can and that will eat some of that cost for sure. Seems like that may be the norm this gen for me.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:54 AM   #4023
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

A 50 hour Ratchet and Clank game, come on guys. It was always going to be 15-20 hours. If they announced another Uncharted game are we gonna hope for 50 hours there too?

For me I would definitely have spent $80 on any Ratchet game, the extra $10 for cutting edge visuals and being a true next generation game is whatever. $90 for games is definitely too steep but you gotta get used to it at some point this gen, everyone is going to be doing it.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 11:21 AM   #4024
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm stoked for Ratchet and Clank. There's a ton of things that go into these games, and it's a AAA next-gen release with a ton of polish. I know $90 is a tough pill to swallow, but it's the going rate for a new release. At 15-20 hours, it's still a pretty solid amount of time, and a better value than going to most movies in a theatre or buying a new movie.

There's more to a game's value than just length of play time.
If you're only concerned with the length of time a game offers, go buy a JRPG.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:21 AM   #4025
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
A 50 hour Ratchet and Clank game, come on guys. It was always going to be 15-20 hours. If they announced another Uncharted game are we gonna hope for 50 hours there too?

For me I would definitely have spent $80 on any Ratchet game, the extra $10 for cutting edge visuals and being a true next generation game is whatever. $90 for games is definitely too steep but you gotta get used to it at some point this gen, everyone is going to be doing it.
I never said 50 hours, 16-20 hours of gameplay for Just under $100 is disappointing. That's all I am saying. Paying that price for a 25-30 hour game would be less painful for sure. It is a gripe I have with most games.

And no, not everyone is going to be doing it. Microsoft has Game Pass which costs me practically nothing until 2023. Sure after that I will probably be paying ~$30 a month. But I also get access to a ton of games...for ~$360 a year that puts me at about 3 - 4 PS5 games a year.

Last edited by Since1984; 06-09-2021 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:09 PM   #4026
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO Games are getting too long as it is.

I'd much rather pay $90 for a game that's 20-30 hours with a good story and that I'll actually enjoy finishing. Instead of a 50+ hour game that just becomes a chore to finish, and I'm probably unlikely to ever finish.

Plus really a price increase for games is overdue if you look at inflation.

$60 USD became the normal price for a game back in 2005. That amount in 2021 dollars is actually $82.21.

So even at $70 USD now the price of games is still lower than the expected rate of inflation from when the $60 price was introduced.

To me I always look at Movies as kind of the standard for how much entertainment can cost. A movie at a movie theatre is $15 CDN (conservatively) for about 2.5 hours of entertainment. Which is about $6 CDN per hour of entertainment.

So for a $90 CDN game if I can get 15 hours of enjoyment out of it then that's the equivalent of going to a movie, and anything longer than that is gravy. And really with stuff like GamePass, or if I decide just to wait 3 months to play a game it will be even cheaper. It's really only a premium if I need to play a game at launch.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-09-2021 at 01:05 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 12:15 PM   #4027
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Battlefield 2042, as expected:

The video is great hype!

Also, it looks like Canada may finally be a country included in the Battles. The character they follow in the sea cans @around 1:16 with the yellow band around his arm that gets stabbed is 100% a Canadian soldier lol.

More info: https://www.ea.com/games/battlefield/battlefield-2042
I'll have to wait to see gameplay at e3 but man, that looks bad. Trying to be fair since it's just a reveal trailer but all that did was reaffirm my apprehension

Last edited by btimbit; 06-09-2021 at 12:17 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:02 PM   #4028
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I'll have to wait to see gameplay at e3 but man, that looks bad. Trying to be fair since it's just a reveal trailer but all that did was reaffirm my apprehension
Why wait, you have already said you haven't liked a battlefield game for a long time and 2042 is lining up to be more like Battlefield 3 and 4. Why hope for a game to be more like Squad when Squad does everything it does well.

Why not just play Squad, Hell let loose or Beyond the Wire? There are so many more choices on PC that you would like much more.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:29 PM   #4029
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be clear, it's not lining up to be like BF3 or 4. It looks like it's going to be between BF5 and BF 2142. With a big dash of call of duty and battlefront 2. Which are terrible
Old 06-09-2021, 01:41 PM   #4030
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I never said 50 hours, 16-20 hours of gameplay for Just under $100 is disappointing. That's all I am saying. Paying that price for a 25-30 hour game would be less painful for sure. It is a gripe I have with most games.

And no, not everyone is going to be doing it. Microsoft has Game Pass which costs me practically nothing until 2023. Sure after that I will probably be paying ~$30 a month. But I also get access to a ton of games...for ~$360 a year that puts me at about 3 - 4 PS5 games a year.
... but those individual games are still the same price for anyone who doesn't have gamepass.

I just don't see the logic in complaining about the price of a game based on length, when quality is infinitely more important, and the price of every major game is exactly the same.

Seems like griping for the sake of griping.

There are games that look so good I'll pay the full price to play it right away, and others I'll wait a few months to play for significantly cheaper. Sometimes, like you, with a shorter game I won't replay I'll trade it in right away and then it's like a $40 game or so. Which really isn't bad.

It's not a big deal. It's just the price of games. You get used to it. And it's kind of silly for someone who could afford a new XBox, Gamepass, and a new PS5 to turn around and complain about standard game prices. Yeah, they're expensive but like... oh well... it's a choice.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:48 PM   #4031
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
... but those individual games are still the same price for anyone who doesn't have gamepass.

I just don't see the logic in complaining about the price of a game based on length, when quality is infinitely more important, and the price of every major game is exactly the same.

Seems like griping for the sake of griping.

There are games that look so good I'll pay the full price to play it right away, and others I'll wait a few months to play for significantly cheaper. Sometimes, like you, with a shorter game I won't replay I'll trade it in right away and then it's like a $40 game or so. Which really isn't bad.

It's not a big deal. It's just the price of games. You get used to it. And it's kind of silly for someone who could afford a new XBox, Gamepass, and a new PS5 to turn around and complain about standard game prices. Yeah, they're expensive but like... oh well... it's a choice.
That is all true and we only make it worse by buying the games at full price.

If only we could rent games like we did in the past...sigh. But Game pass is kind of like renting games I guess.

Like you said griping for the sake griping....but as a consumer it is my right to gripe! haha

Last edited by Since1984; 06-09-2021 at 01:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 03:49 PM   #4032
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is all true and we only make it worse by buying the games at full price.

If only we could rent games like we did in the past...sigh. But Game pass is kind of like renting games I guess.

Like you said griping for the sake griping....but as a consumer it is my right to gripe! haha
If you live in Chestermere you can take games out from the library.

My sister lives out there so she hooks me up with games
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 09:29 PM   #4033
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, there was just an update to Mass Effect Legendary Edition. I was partway through ME2 before I applied it. I appear to have lost about 18 hours of save data.

####ing great.

Idiots. Complete god damned idiots.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:16 PM   #4034
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ouch. Can't say I had that happen to me, but I have yet to make it to ME2. Roughly 75% done ME1.
BlAcKNoVa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:42 PM   #4035
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on what I can tell it has something to do with Steam cloud saves being different from Origin cloud saves?

So it's even worse because it's about EA's money grubbing bull#### making people sign in to their useless platform that no one wants anything to do with.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:50 PM   #4036
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Why do you think it looks bad? This trailer seems to have been pretty well received, and just bleeds Battlefield DNA through and through. The game was always about that over-the-top absurdity in combat to an extent.

What were you hoping for?
Old 06-10-2021, 07:02 AM   #4037
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
Why do you think it looks bad? This trailer seems to have been pretty well received, and just bleeds Battlefield DNA through and through. The game was always about that over-the-top absurdity in combat to an extent.

What were you hoping for?
I was hoping the series would go back towards its roots, not farther away from them. It can be absurd without being stupid. I posted my ranking of BF games last page, I want it to be more like the ones at the top of the list not the ones at the bottom. For ####s and giggles I took a look at metacritic to see if reviews agree with me or if I'm just out of touch (like I normally am) but no, seems people agree with me there.

What I got from that trailer was some kind of CoD, Battlefront, 2142 hybrid. Remember the BFV trailer, everyone rolled their eyes and whined about the lady with the prosthetic arm wearing a cape jumping out of a plane. Well I got the same feeling watching the laser robot dog in the 2042 trailer. And special hero abilites? Not sure who thought that was a good idea but I sure hope they're treading carefully there. Can't ignore either that the senior staff working on this are the same people that ruined the Medal of Honor series with Warfighter.

Don't get me wrong, nothing would make me happier than seeing the gameplay footage this weekend and thinking it looks great. I don't want it to be bad by any means
Old 06-10-2021, 08:41 AM   #4038
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post

Ya once in a while it’s just worth it. Not every game needs to be 60 hours, I find some drag on for the sake of dragging on.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:56 AM   #4039
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I was hoping the series would go back towards its roots, not farther away from them. It can be absurd without being stupid. I posted my ranking of BF games last page, I want it to be more like the ones at the top of the list not the ones at the bottom. For ####s and giggles I took a look at metacritic to see if reviews agree with me or if I'm just out of touch (like I normally am) but no, seems people agree with me there.

What I got from that trailer was some kind of CoD, Battlefront, 2142 hybrid. Remember the BFV trailer, everyone rolled their eyes and whined about the lady with the prosthetic arm wearing a cape jumping out of a plane. Well I got the same feeling watching the laser robot dog in the 2042 trailer. And special hero abilites? Not sure who thought that was a good idea but I sure hope they're treading carefully there. Can't ignore either that the senior staff working on this are the same people that ruined the Medal of Honor series with Warfighter.

Don't get me wrong, nothing would make me happier than seeing the gameplay footage this weekend and thinking it looks great. I don't want it to be bad by any means
Dice still has a game mode to announce/show off at EA Play on July 22, this mode as they put it is "Created as a love letter to our core fans, a new way to play Battlefield is coming. Discover unexpected battles and enter the wide universe of Battlefield with this experience"
Old 06-10-2021, 09:21 AM   #4040
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIP MAN View Post
Ya once in a while it’s just worth it. Not every game needs to be 60 hours, I find some drag on for the sake of dragging on.
Agreed. Lots of games seem to artificially increase their game play hours too by throwing in fetch quests or force you to grind so you end up playing the same area over and over.

Same as Since posted above, I'll complete it with my boys and then probably end up selling it or trading it in for $60 a month later.