Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2021, 12:39 PM   #3961
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
FUUUUUUUU

Spoiler!
Why is the horse...thing running in place? Is the air pea-soup thick on that planet?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2021, 12:41 PM   #3962
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Far Cry is one of those franchises where if you love it, you'll always love it, and if you hate it, you'll always hate it, because every game is almost exactly the same.

And I love it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2021, 02:04 PM   #3963
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Far Cry is one of those franchises where if you love it, you'll always love it, and if you hate it, you'll always hate it, because every game is almost exactly the same.

And I love it.
Pretty much the perfect description. Some people get sick of the tried and tested Ubisoft formula for open world; climb up a tower, open parts of the map. Fill in the spiderweb upgrade menu. Lots to see, lots to do. Assassin's Creed is the same ####. Tried and tested...but it works for me.

Especially with Gustavo Fringe as the psychopath mastermind in this one. Can't fuggin' wait!

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 05-28-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 02:47 PM   #3964
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

That definitely looks a bit more interesting than the last couple, with a lot of urban environments and improvised weapons and such. And Giancarlo Esposito as the villain is a great choice of course. I'm not much for FPS games in general but I might check it out when it's half off (and since it's Ubisoft, that will be by Christmas).
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:48 PM   #3965
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I got all excited about the teaser for Dragon Quest 12 until I heard today that it will not be turn based. Way to kill the franchise.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:55 PM   #3966
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

That’s a shame, the stupid weapon building gimmick is what made me abandon New Dawn altogether.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:40 AM   #3967
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

And I love it.
Good description of the last few games in the series, but the first 3 were great, and quite different from each other. Then everything since has just been 3 in a different location.

I guess if people still find that fun then that's awesome, and I'm excited for you to have a new game you'll enjoy, I don't want to be a wet blanket. But for me, I've seen too many of my once favourite franchises fall victim to Ubisofts design by committee approach
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:28 AM   #3968
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I got all excited about the teaser for Dragon Quest 12 until I heard today that it will not be turn based. Way to kill the franchise.
That's reading a lot into Horii's quote about it:

“it won't completely disappear, but it'll be different. Those who played Dragon Quest until now will still feel at home”

After eleven turn based games I'm really interested in them trying something new-ish. It doesn't mean it'll necessarily be a full action-RPG, but I think adding in some action elements will be a good move for DQ. I played through 8, 9, and 11 in 2019 and got to feeling like I was using the same strategy for battles in all of them. I don't mind a shake up that could make it a bit more engaging.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 11:25 AM   #3969
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Good description of the last few games in the series, but the first 3 were great, and quite different from each other. Then everything since has just been 3 in a different location.
Atleast with Primal you had no guns so that was different.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 11:31 PM   #3970
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
That's reading a lot into Horii's quote about it:

“it won't completely disappear, but it'll be different. Those who played Dragon Quest until now will still feel at home”

After eleven turn based games I'm really interested in them trying something new-ish. It doesn't mean it'll necessarily be a full action-RPG, but I think adding in some action elements will be a good move for DQ. I played through 8, 9, and 11 in 2019 and got to feeling like I was using the same strategy for battles in all of them. I don't mind a shake up that could make it a bit more engaging.
I was hoping for some new plush merchandise for the 35th, but the few new additions to the SE JP store are underwhelming. There's a line of plush that were generally released around DQIX that are getting difficult to get a hold of, including my favorite -> Bubble slimes. I was hoping for a re-release of these , but so far no dice. Was hoping to expand my collection (currently at 36 plush + 11 metallic monsters)
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:24 AM   #3971
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Should I play Mass Effect Legendary Edition?
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:37 AM   #3972
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Should I play Mass Effect Legendary Edition?
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 02:28 AM   #3973
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you've never played the Mass Effect trilogy I'd 100% recommend it.

If you have, I'd still say yes just because ME1 looks amazing now, and feels a lot better to play also. And if you've missed any DLC's in the past this version has every single one of them included for all three games except Pinnacle Station for ME1. Not sure what happened there but it wasn't a great DLC anyways, so not a big loss.
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlAcKNoVa For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 10:00 AM   #3974
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

If there was a DLC to lose for the Mass Effect trilogy, Pinnacle Station is the one. Maybe if you were in love with the ME1 combat system you might miss it, but there's no real story elements to it and definitely nothing relevant to the rest of the games.

The other DLC for ME1 actually has story relevance and it's worth playing.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:56 AM   #3975
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

The ME series ending, in my opinion, was awesome.

Fight me.
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 11:06 AM   #3976
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
The ME series ending, in my opinion, was awesome.

Fight me.
The ending is fine, but the success of the series gave it nearly impossible expectations to meet. I would have liked it if they wrapped things up a little more neatly. It felt rushed and a bit of a reach, but I felt some of that was corrected in the revised ending update. Eventually, it turned out that the Citadel DLC was a better farewell to the trilogy than the actual ending. It's unfortunate that we had to wait a year for that closure.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:18 AM   #3977
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The ending is not fine. It's possibly the biggest dropped ball in the history of video games. Many of the complaints are about the superficiality of it, and the fact that none of your choices in the game lead to different results. But that would have been forgivable if, narratively, it worked. It didn't. It didn't make any sense. The big mystery about "why did someone send these death machines after us every 50,000 years" was so stupid it sounded like something written by a junior high student. They mailed it in.

There are so, so many things they could have done that would have been at least acceptable, even if they couldn't live up to expectations. I would have preferred them retconning the indoctrination ending, that would have been ####in' dark and at least you'd have to give them some credit for the sheer balls it would take to have the ending to 3 games be "doesn't matter what you did, you lose, the cycle continues, good day sir".
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 01:14 PM   #3978
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Well here is some news that may bum a few of you out, me included. God of War sequel delayed till 2022

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...Station%20Blog.
Jay's Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:22 PM   #3979
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's always a little sucky when stuff is delayed of course, but I haven't been overly bothered about it in a long time. Seems like studios taking the extra time to polish really helps with a lot of games.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 03:43 PM   #3980
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally was able to get a PS5 last week, and I was initially a little confused with the whole PS4 free upgrade to PS5 thing for PS4 games. If that's the case, why wouldn't I buy the PS4 version to ensure I can play the game on both systems. I wonder if this is going to be the strategy going forward for all PS4/PS5 games.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote