Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2021, 02:50 PM   #541
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Chestermere Heating and Cooling 403-272-9976 and yes. That would be a good start.
How is Canyon Plumbing compared to the other big guys out there?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:11 PM   #542
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's possible there has been some poor installation practices for your joins and humidifier (and AC). I had to fix some poor joins myself - Duct tape isn't for ducting though. It fails fairly quickly but you're on the right track with respect to sealing those holes up. Also it's a matter of hydraulics - the air will take the easiest route with lowest pressure drop so since your basement is closest then if your vents are open the air volume will be higher there than some distance away upstairs. So play with several vents... you may need to close your basement ones, and half/substantially close the main floor ones to force the cold upstairs. Every time I visit my old man in the summer I have to go around and fix all his vents to get equal AC and not leave some areas as frigid iceboxes.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 03:30 PM   #543
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
I had to fix some poor joins myself - Duct tape isn't for ducting though. It fails fairly quickly but you're on the right track with respect to sealing those holes up.
Any product you would recommend?
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 04:07 PM   #544
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You need real duct tape, like this:

https://www.shurtape.com/products/pc-858/
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 04:24 PM   #545
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yea thats the stuff I have from another repair... the metal ductwork tape. Not duct tape.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 04:25 PM   #546
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You need real duct tape, like this:

https://www.shurtape.com/products/pc-858/
Thanks, I found a equivalent product but .... cheaped out and got the much cheaper one at the 2nd link below. $40 for duct tape seemed too much... lets see if the stuff I buy falls off!

https://www.amazon.ca/Shurtape-Water...4573249&sr=8-1

Stuff I bought, seems good?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00EZ0RKEU?...hk_typ_imgToDp
Old 06-24-2021, 04:28 PM   #547
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't Mylar tape the same thing?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 04:37 PM   #548
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Aluminum foil tape.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 04:39 PM   #549
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Thanks, I found a equivalent product but .... cheaped out and got the much cheaper one at the 2nd link below. $40 for duct tape seemed too much... lets see if the stuff I buy falls off!

https://www.amazon.ca/Shurtape-Water...4573249&sr=8-1

Stuff I bought, seems good?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00EZ0RKEU?...hk_typ_imgToDp
If you're just doing a few spots on interior metal ducts (not stuff exposed to weather or anything), any foil tape will work really. You can get a 10M roll at Home Depot for $5-10. I wouldn't use the 3M duct tape on HVAC ducts.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 04:40 PM   #550
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

anyone know what would cause the drain to constantly clogg on our ac? from the coil to floor drain?
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:09 PM   #551
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
If you're just doing a few spots on interior metal ducts (not stuff exposed to weather or anything), any foil tape will work really. You can get a 10M roll at Home Depot for $5-10. I wouldn't use the 3M duct tape on HVAC ducts.
Why? Overkill or harmful?
Old 06-24-2021, 05:28 PM   #552
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningSteel View Post
anyone know what would cause the drain to constantly clogg on our ac? from the coil to floor drain?
From my family member in the industry: Needs to be flushed. Could be a dirty coil.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:58 PM   #553
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My central AC will be severely tested next week with expected 38C mid-week temps. I’ll be by sleeping in the basement.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:48 PM   #554
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Why? Overkill or harmful?
Not harmful per se, but it's worse than foil tape in pretty much every respect for that purpose. The adhesive won't stand up to the temperature swings of an HVAC system as well as foil tape will, and it likely won't seal as well either. And if it's going to be visible (like in a utility room or an unfinished basement) it'll look kind of amateurish.

That stuff you linked will likely stand up better than run of the mill duct tape, but for the small cost of foil tape you might as well just use that and save the duct tape for other uses.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 07:37 AM   #555
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Places are really busy this year it seems. I called around last week to get a few quotes and a couple places can have someone come by and give a quote in 2 weeks. Then I have no idea how long after that to actually get it installed. Thats crazy
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:31 AM   #556
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

When I got mine installed (about 4 years ago I think) it was quotes within 1-3 days and install one week after that. I bet with lots of people being home so often now this year would be a lot busier for installations
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:47 AM   #557
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm trying to figure out where we would need to locate an A/C to meet bylaw requirements. I keep seeing and hearing different requirements. We have a half duplex and the question is do we install it on the side of the house or at the rear?

We have ample space to install at the side but we only have that one side as entry to the back yard (plus the alley). The city only says "A/C units may only project 1.0m into the side setback" and says nothing about how much space is required to the property line. I've seen everything from 0.2m (we would be able to meet this) to 1.2m (we cannot meet this) for space from the A/C to the property line, so it's very confusing. Looks like I can utilize the bulkhead to access the backyard but it would be a bit more of an involved install versus the side of the house.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:53 AM   #558
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
I'm trying to figure out where we would need to locate an A/C to meet bylaw requirements. I keep seeing and hearing different requirements. We have a half duplex and the question is do we install it on the side of the house or at the rear?

We have ample space to install at the side but we only have that one side as entry to the back yard (plus the alley). The city only says "A/C units may only project 1.0m into the side setback" and says nothing about how much space is required to the property line. I've seen everything from 0.2m (we would be able to meet this) to 1.2m (we cannot meet this) for space from the A/C to the property line, so it's very confusing. Looks like I can utilize the bulkhead to access the backyard but it would be a bit more of an involved install versus the side of the house.

Installing AC units that encroach on your neighbor's property... seem to get approved encroachment permits by the City after the fact...
But I don't know the risk you face, I just have seen quite a few. I imagine if your neighbor isn't concern its low risk, but don't know.
Despite any answers you get here, I would still contact 311 for the legal answer.

Last edited by Mull; 06-25-2021 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-25-2021, 09:12 AM   #559
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Got my quote early june and booked the install earliest time was July 17, Gonna die next week
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:14 AM   #560
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_12 View Post
Got my quote early june and booked the install earliest time was July 17, Gonna die next week
On July 17, you become a man. Proud of you, son.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: