Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-24-2021, 01:24 PM   #361
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Did they keep the stripper pole when they did the restoration?
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 02:20 PM   #362
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Did they keep the stripper pole when they did the restoration?
It's a load-bearing pole, so yes.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:23 PM   #363
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
load-bearing pole
Is that a euphemism?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 02:24 PM   #364
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Is anyone else concerned about the lack of future large parks in this City to semi- keep up with population growth?

I see Fish creek being closed off in the south to future development and from I understand the Community planning document, it isn't really pro-parks.

Calgary is pretty spoiled, and as population increases, it would be nice to stay spoiled with extending our massive park system.
So If I decided this issue was near and dear to my heart, reserving more land for Parks inside the City as the City grows...

What would be the way to support this cause? It seems writing to my councilor would be simply one minor issue that is entangled in a longer planning issue, and if I understand the guidebook right, the progressive movement in the City is against me. The "fiscal right" probably doesn't want to pay and annex land for non-tax providing parks.

Is anyone, groups, NGO's for this?
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:33 PM   #365
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I might be late to the party but I just noticed the Northland Walmart is finally modernizing and erasing all traces of my childhood Woolco.

The mall entrance with the awkward tills are gone. The auto bays are bricked over and turned into retail space. The internal McDonalds has been demolished, it's quite a makeover.

I guess this means they don't plan to build their own standalone store in the far parking lot anymore and just keep the existing structure while razing the mall? I heard that Best Buy is likely doing the same.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 09:38 PM   #366
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So If I decided this issue was near and dear to my heart, reserving more land for Parks inside the City as the City grows...

What would be the way to support this cause? It seems writing to my councilor would be simply one minor issue that is entangled in a longer planning issue, and if I understand the guidebook right, the progressive movement in the City is against me. The "fiscal right" probably doesn't want to pay and annex land for non-tax providing parks.

One would be to support the development of biking infrastructure which usually means separated trade which requires green space.

Which sections of the guidebook do you feel are anti-park. And by park do you mean neighbourhood green space or Fish creek / Nose hill or River pathway with occasional picnic / access area
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 10:14 PM   #367
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The City (and policies of the guidebook) are decidedly pro preserving, improving and establishing parks. There is a strong emphasis in planning policy on public space.

We have a legislated requirement for 10% of all development plans for Municipal Reserve, of course. Many large new parks are the result of Environmental Reserve Policy, which renders lands undevelopable based on their environmental characteristics. We add a lot of hectares of new Environmental Reserves for parks every year.

There is a decided lack of large regional parks in the east side of the city - part of that has to do with the very flat land not naturally lending itself to Environmental Reserve. But there is a lot of discussion about how to rectify this imbalance.

If parks are near and dear - I would recommend Parks Foundation as a cause. The City regularly partners with them on the establishment and improvement of parks.

I am a Director in the planning department, so happy to answer various related questions.

Last edited by Bunk; 06-24-2021 at 10:27 PM.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bunk For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 03:13 AM   #368
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I might be late to the party but I just noticed the Northland Walmart is finally modernizing and erasing all traces of my childhood Woolco.

The mall entrance with the awkward tills are gone. The auto bays are bricked over and turned into retail space. The internal McDonalds has been demolished, it's quite a makeover.

I guess this means they don't plan to build their own standalone store in the far parking lot anymore and just keep the existing structure while razing the mall? I heard that Best Buy is likely doing the same.
I remember the weird network of walkways throughout that mall, with back entrances to all the shops. Makes sense now, but back then it seemed like a mystery hinterland.

The one that still bothers me is that in Market Mall there is a sunken theatre over by the food court, and as far as I can tell, it's still just under there.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:09 AM   #369
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
It makes sense to keep the chairs. Can you imagine how much it would cost to haul them out of there?
True story,

If you were there enough and spent enough coin....you got your name on a chair. (the bar "stool" chairs)

I had one in smugs lounge and one in backstreet.

Good times.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:32 AM   #370
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
It makes sense to keep the chairs. Can you imagine how much it would cost to haul them out of there?

What about the tables? They'd need a crane to move those out.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:38 AM   #371
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone know when Earl of Sandwich is opening?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:59 AM   #372
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Which sections of the guidebook do you feel are anti-park. And by park do you mean neighbourhood green space or Fish creek / Nose hill or River pathway with occasional picnic / access area
What I have to back up my claims with evidence now? /s
I don't know, I just did a find for the word "park" in the guidebook and gave up. I recall discussion that the guidebook wants to develop inner city park space? Is this not correct?

I mean large green space, like the missed opportunity to extend Fish Creek south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
The City (and policies of the guidebook) are decidedly pro preserving, improving and establishing parks. There is a strong emphasis in planning policy on public space.

We have a legislated requirement for 10% of all development plans for Municipal Reserve, of course. Many large new parks are the result of Environmental Reserve Policy, which renders lands undevelopable based on their environmental characteristics. We add a lot of hectares of new Environmental Reserves for parks every year.

There is a decided lack of large regional parks in the east side of the city - part of that has to do with the very flat land not naturally lending itself to Environmental Reserve. But there is a lot of discussion about how to rectify this imbalance.

If parks are near and dear - I would recommend Parks Foundation as a cause. The City regularly partners with them on the establishment and improvement of parks.

I am a Director in the planning department, so happy to answer various related questions.
Where is the discussion of flat land turning into parks taking place? Does environmental reserve also include spaces not suited for human use? A storm drainage pond?
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:46 PM   #373
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I remember the weird network of walkways throughout that mall, with back entrances to all the shops. Makes sense now, but back then it seemed like a mystery hinterland.

The one that still bothers me is that in Market Mall there is a sunken theatre over by the food court, and as far as I can tell, it's still just under there.
As far as I can tell, while the front entrance is shops, the Famous Players space has been turned into the giant Old Navy.

I don't recall the theatres being sunken? If there was below ground space, Old Navy is probably just using it for storage.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:10 PM   #374
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Modern Steak/Modern Ocean opening fall 2021 at Macleod and Southport (it used to be a Moxies) right across the street from Earls on Macleod
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 10:20 PM   #375
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

The old Lowe's in Shawnessy is going to be partially filled. It looks like Value Village is taking about one-third of the space on the west side, and The Brick is taking another one-third in the middle.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:33 PM   #376
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
The old Lowe's in Shawnessy is going to be partially filled. It looks like Value Village is taking about one-third of the space on the west side, and The Brick is taking another one-third in the middle.
I'm curious if that spells the end of the Midnapore Value Village. I would think so but the south has been birthing thrift stores like they're going out of style.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:04 PM   #377
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I'm curious if this is more of a thing, I think the biggest challenge for Fish Creek specifically is being provincially run. It would be so awesome if the river pathway extended further south from Lafarge Meadows/Rotary Park with the new communities (Wolf Willow, Cranston Riversong), but it seems like the developers have different ideas in mind.
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:49 PM   #378
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
As far as I can tell, while the front entrance is shops, the Famous Players space has been turned into the giant Old Navy.

I don't recall the theatres being sunken? If there was below ground space, Old Navy is probably just using it for storage.
I used to work at the Club Monaco which was right in front of that corner directly in front of the play place… The movie theatre was farther down by the food court back in the late 80’s
BOSSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:23 AM   #379
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

This is the new plan for Northland Mall and it has been posted inside the mall by the Winners escalator as well. The taller buildings across from the schools are residential. I can't find the same images that are in the mall but this is the presentation from last year:

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 07-28-2021 at 11:26 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 03:52 PM   #380
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The Back Alley: Historic Calgary nightclub announces grand reopening

https://dailyhive.com/calgary/the-ba...9vmCuc2mOdsp5o
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote