Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-24-2021, 07:23 PM   #141
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
If he really doesn't want to be here., then you trade him.

I am hopeful however, that conversation was had when he signed this current deal. His agent is one of the best and fairest in the business. Firm but fair and realistic. He also has a very long and cordial relationship with the Flames as he represented Jarome Iginla his entire career in Calgary.

Maybe Im wrong and there really is some rift, but he is one of the 5 guys on this entire team I build around.
IMO the next 2 years are more about Tkachuk deciding if he wants to stay in Calgary...and if things don't improve rapidly, I wouldn't blame him for wanting out.

For most players, there wouldn't be as much of a decision here...if both parties are willing to agree on a fair compromise you ink a long-term deal on July 28 and sleep easy knowing you've secured $50M+, aka. generational wealth.

Of course, you may be passing up the opportunity to make that $60 or $70M+ in the same time period, but there is also a very real risk of dropping to $40M, or $30M, or even closer to zero in case of severe injury. It's a 2 year gamble...730 nights of wondering whether you'll come out ahead or not, and having less certainty of where you'll live.

Players can buy insurance against the biggest possible losses, but that also cuts into the potential greater earnings from betting on yourself (and probably doesn't make you totally whole).

Tkachuk's family already has that generational wealth...buying insurance wouldn't be a big deal and he may well prioritize winning and choosing where to live over immediately securing his financial future. After the last two years and the current league issues, it would be silly for him to 'sell himself low' on a longterm deal.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:10 AM   #142
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Players often “bet on themselves” based on past history. His Dad also bet on himself and it always worked out.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:11 AM   #143
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has Matt himself spoken in public at all about these rumours? Until such a time I will reserve all judgement
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:18 AM   #144
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
I'm thinking you trade him immediately IF ? There's any substance to any rumors .

If he does really wanna be here he needs to show me. I don't care for the thought of 9 million dollar players on this team that throw hissyfits after the play is over and in between whistles decides he needs more attention so stupid stuff happens.....answering the bell for your team mate who behaves as if he's above everything isn't cool .

I love #19 but since 2 years ago he's been on a steady decline. His team mates don't seem to wanna run to his aid which is very telling .....but then it seems that way for JG too.

This whole team needs a major biiitchslap sometimes as these guys according to Elias Lindholm thought it would be easier ......EASIER????!!!!!! WTF?

Bennett wanted out....wish granted.....bubye see ya and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

I hope Darryl has players wanting to be here.

I hope Darryls message is taken seriously as well as our new assets and associates and that these guys change their narrative which is needed so so so much here.

So Matty.....should you stay or should you go now? Shirt or get off the pot because these posturing games, head games don't win hockey games and I for one am tired of mediocre hockey when it matters .
The Flames need to hang on to Tkachuk until Gio is gone and see how he works in a culture change.

losing Bennett to a still get paid big bucks without having to succeed as a team was enough punishment for the franchise.

Bennett's play in Florida is a clear indication that there is something seriously wrong with the direction and attitude of the team. Sutter was not enough of a shock to kick start the malaise.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:23 AM   #145
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This thread needs a good lock down. There is no rumour, just spit-balling by an irrelevant former player.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 08:53 AM   #146
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
The Flames need to hang on to Tkachuk until Gio is gone and see how he works in a culture change.

losing Bennett to a still get paid big bucks without having to succeed as a team was enough punishment for the franchise.

Bennett's play in Florida is a clear indication that there is something seriously wrong with the direction and attitude of the team. Sutter was not enough of a shock to kick start the malaise.
Yeah no.

Bennett is a decent middle line player. He was in Calgary and he is in Florida.

His on ice shooting percentage in Calgary was about 6.5%, it went to 11% in Florida. That won't last. If he had a season like that he's be in the top 4% in the league.

No conclusions about an organization can be drawn from a small sample size and a heater.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 09:19 AM   #147
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1408431781586501632

I don't know, it still doesn't sound like much.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:23 AM   #148
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1408431781586501632

I don't know, it still doesn't sound like much.
There is as much to this as “Hall wants to play in Calgary because he’s from Calgary”. Nothing.

“There’s a reason he signed a bridge deal”. Yeah, money.

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 06-25-2021 at 09:29 AM.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:26 AM   #149
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1408444935347519490
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 09:40 AM   #150
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would be beyond livid if Eichel ends up in Vegas.

It makes some sense given their top line center is Stephenson but man I hate the thought of it.

They could offload Fleury and not re-sign Martinez and make it work.

Tuch, Krebs, Glass, 1st for Eichel:

Pacioretty-Eichel-Stone
Marchessault-Karlsson-Smith
Stephenson-Roy-Kolesar
Carrier-Nosek-Reeves
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 09:47 AM   #151
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Yeah no.

His on ice shooting percentage in Calgary was about 6.5%, it went to 11% in Florida. That won't last. If he had a season like that he's be in the top 4% in the league.

No conclusions about an organization can be drawn from a small sample size and a heater.
Good point, but 11% is in the realm of average for a forward, so may actually be sustainable as he's now playing with better line mates and presumably getting more high danger scoring chances. His career average is 10.2%

I'm not sure where you are getting your stats from? There were 227 forwards last year in the NHL (min. 25 games played) with a 11% shooting percentage or higher. Are you looking at 5v5?
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 09:55 AM   #152
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I would be beyond livid if Eichel ends up in Vegas.

It makes some sense given their top line center is Stephenson but man I hate the thought of it.

They could offload Fleury and not re-sign Martinez and make it work.

Tuch, Krebs, Glass, 1st for Eichel:
Still would not work from a cap perspective, Vegas is currently at over the cap limit.

They would need to include another contract other that Alex Tuch
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:57 AM   #153
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Still would not work from a cap perspective, Vegas is currently at over the cap limit.

They would need to include another contract other that Alex Tuch
Well I mentioned offloading Fleury in a separate deal. $7mill right there..
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:00 AM   #154
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
Has Matt himself spoken in public at all about these rumours? Until such a time I will reserve all judgement
He's probably not going to dignify it until his next media availability. And even then he'll likely brush it off pretty quickly. As he should.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redrum For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 10:05 AM   #155
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Good point, but 11% is in the realm of average for a forward, so may actually be sustainable as he's now playing with better line mates and presumably getting more high danger scoring chances. His career average is 10.2%

I'm not sure where you are getting your stats from? There were 227 forwards last year in the NHL (min. 25 games played) with a 11% shooting percentage or higher. Are you looking at 5v5?
Yeah 5 on 5

Bennett was just under 11, which over a season would put him in the top 5%.

In all situations he was 14.5% which over a season would put him 4th in the league.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:17 AM   #156
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah this is a nothingburger. No different than when Johnny said it would be cool to play for Philly and I am pretty sure Point wouldn't mind playing in Calgary. Players have favorite teams while they were growing up. Every player who grew up in an NHL city would say the same.

Regarding Bennett, if it weren't for the expansion draft he might still be a Flame. Flames were just put into a position where they could recoup assets for a player that they would likely lose. Worked out for Bennett as well, as he was looking a for a fresh start.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:34 AM   #157
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah no.

Isn't "on ice" shooting percentage a measure of the team's overall shooting percentage when the player is on the ice? Wouldn't this speak to the improved linemates he had in Florida rather than just being a heater in his personal stats?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:49 AM   #158
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Isn't "on ice" shooting percentage a measure of the team's overall shooting percentage when the player is on the ice? Wouldn't this speak to the improved linemates he had in Florida rather than just being a heater in his personal stats?
Yes.

"On-ice shooting percentage and on-ice save percentage are a team's shooting percentage and save percentage. At the team level, that is simple. At the player level, it is the team's shooting and save percentage when a certain player is on the ice."
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:58 AM   #159
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
It's not an individual stat for sure.

But when his average over a season is in line with 4th out of 450 forwards he's certainly getting some bounces.

So yeah playing with better players should see his numbers go up, but I wouldn't think it would put him at the top of the leaguge.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:55 PM   #160
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's not an individual stat for sure.

But when his average over a season is in line with 4th out of 450 forwards he's certainly getting some bounces.

So yeah playing with better players should see his numbers go up, but I wouldn't think it would put him at the top of the leaguge.
Sam Bennett was drafted 4th overall in 2014 because of his immense skill.

In 2015-16 after Bennett basically missed a whole season of development due to injury

In the first year after he was drafted that he was fit to play he had 18 goals and 36 pts playing 15 minutes a game. He had 11 pp pts.

In his draft class playing in 2015-16 he was better than Pastrnak, Nylander, Arvidsson . He was equal to Ehlers and Fabbri. Draistl who played 37 games in 2014-15 had 19 goals compared to Bennett's 18 in 2015-16.

Then Bennett was put away only to be brought out at playoff time. I guess the Flames needed grinders.

It was like the next 4 plus season were the 2nd Bob Newhart show and Sam just woke up last year in the bed with Suzanne Pleshette.

Bennett is likely to have the upside that he went to sleep with at the end of the 2016 season. Then it would be conceivable that he will be a lot closer to the top of the league than where he was for the last 4.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post: