Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2021, 12:56 PM   #2401
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1407411737624674306
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:07 PM   #2402
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

What exactly is Manchin’s end game here? Surely he knows that he’ll never get any sort of bipartisanship with the current GQP. They’ve stated right out in the open that their sole purpose is to block Biden’s entire agenda.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 03:16 PM   #2403
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump as president apparently asked about sending COVID-infected people to Gitmo. He said something like: we should send them to an island; hey, Gitmo is an island, right?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:47 PM   #2404
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Florida? Florida.

https://www.salon.com/2021/06/23/des...ws-with-state/

DeSantis signs bill requiring Florida students, professors to register political views with state

Universities may lose funding if staff and students' beliefs do not satisfy Florida's GOP-run legislature

Based on the bill's language, survey responses will not necessarily be anonymous — sparking worries among many professors and other university staff that they may be targeted, held back in their careers or even fired for their beliefs.

Bishop also told the paper he "certainly hopes" the effort will expand into the K-12 system over time.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:58 PM   #2405
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the best quote

Quote:
"I think that those of us who have diverse thinking and look at both sides of the issue, see that the way the cards are stacked in the education system, is toward the left and toward the liberal ideology and also secularism — and those were not the values that our country was founded on
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2021, 10:36 PM   #2406
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaetz gets smacked down

https://twitter.com/user/status/1407771536971292672
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 04:53 AM   #2407
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Florida? Florida.

DeSantis signs bill requiring Florida students, professors to register political views with state

Universities may lose funding if staff and students' beliefs do not satisfy Florida's GOP-run legislature

Based on the bill's language, survey responses will not necessarily be anonymous — sparking worries among many professors and other university staff that they may be targeted, held back in their careers or even fired for their beliefs.

Bishop also told the paper he "certainly hopes" the effort will expand into the K-12 system over time.
Huh, I almost thought this applied to me until I realized this is for schools funded by the state government.

Welp, there goes our public university system. I know everyone is dissatisfied with the private universities, but this is why they are becoming more popular. American government is woefully terrible at handling education.

I don't know if anyone else saw the other awful thing he did by banning critical race theory from the classroom? The American Association of Colleges and Universities, along with a lot of other education organizations, wrote a scathing rebuke of the law reminding government that they are not the arbiters of what is appropriate to be taught in the classroom, and just because something is politically difficult for the ruling party, doesn't mean they get to dictate curriculum. I haven't seen anything this backward since Evolution was banned from the classroom back in the early 20th century.

DeSantis is Trump 2.0, and he's ####ing dangerous. I hope everyone is ready for him becoming president in 2024, because it's seriously possible if he can organize the Trump cult to get behind him.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 01:00 PM   #2408
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I wonder how long it will take for people to figure out they should just claim to be Republican on the survey.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 01:26 PM   #2409
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1408087782166302723
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 02:05 PM   #2410
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I wonder how long it will take for people to figure out they should just claim to be Republican on the survey.
The problem is that Florida doesn't have open primaries, so if you declare your party affiliation with the government, you can only vote in the primary for that party. It's actually a law we've been trying to change recently as it's ####ing stupid in general, but also, it's about trying to have more moderate viewpoints in our politics from both parties (although a Florida democrat is about as moderate as you can get already). If all these students declare that they are Republican, they are shut out of the primary process for the democratic party. Not good.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:42 PM   #2411
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I thought this happened already... Guess not
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:31 AM   #2412
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ran across this piece by Hayes and I thought he was spot on in his analysis of these tactics. It's just a new play in the same playbook: Use state powers to entrench their power in each state.

I know, it's MSNBC but it seems to be pretty on the nose. Again, democrats and liberals need to wrestle power away at the local and state level before they can hope to make substantial change. Instead of focusing on Bernie, focus on changing some lean red states to purple, and purple states to lean blue for the state elections.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 07:17 PM   #2413
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

More GQP shenanigans in Arizona.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/25/polit...ate/index.html

Quote:
In the key battleground state of Arizona, Republican legislators this week moved to weaken the authority of Secretary of State Katie Hobbs, a Democrat, by limiting her ability to defend election lawsuits.

Late Thursday, the Arizona House passed a series of GOP-backed election measures, which were included in budget legislation that had passed the state Senate on Wednesday. It now heads to the desk of GOP Gov. Doug Ducey, who is expected to sign the legislation.

Among the measures is one that establishes Arizona's attorney general as the "sole authority" to defend state election laws. That law will be in place only until January 2023 -- with both the secretary of state's office and the attorney general's office potentially changing party hands in the 2022 election. Hobbs is running for governor, and Republican Attorney General Mark Brnovich is running for Senate.

"This statutory sleight of hand is set to expire at the end of my term, leaving no doubt that this was prompted by my efforts to protect the freedom to vote and because they did not like the outcome of the Presidential Election," Hobbs said in a statement.

It also bars the secretary of state from using any public funds for hiring outside lawyers. Additionally, it limits Hobbs to hiring the equivalent of one full-time lawyer to represent her office.
Quote:
The measure also allows third parties designated by the legislature to sift through the state's voter database and flag voters for removal.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:48 PM   #2414
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy #### Arizona. You're becoming the new Florida. Slow your roll.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:58 AM   #2415
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Biden administration banned the import of solar panels and other goods made with materials produced by a Chinese company that it accused of using forced laborers from China’s Xinjiang region, a move likely to complicate the U.S. push toward clean energy.
Quote:
But industry experts said enforcement could be a challenge given the complexity of the solar supply chain and Hoshine’s dominance in the industry. Hoshine has produced metallurgical-grade silicon for at least eight of the world’s largest polysilicon makers, according to the company’s public statements and annual reports. Analysts say that together these firms account for nearly all of the world’s supply of solar-grade polysilicon.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...ion/ar-AALoMvg

Probably a good idea that Canada should follow. Relying on China for so much has to stop.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2021, 07:58 PM   #2416
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Its really just becoming America.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 02:11 PM   #2417
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Supreme Court Declines to Consider Transgender Bathroom Case
Lower-court victories remain in place for Gavin Grimm, who was denied access to the boys’ bathroom by his Virginia high school

https://www.wsj.com/articles/supreme...se-11624897992

I guess this belongs here. In some ways I think we should have a thread dedicated to LGBTQIA+ discussion. Maybe even specifically Trans issues, which may be the most difficult for some of us to completely understand. Lack of education/understanding is often the biggest hurdle to acceptance/support. Currently there are over 80 anti-transgender bills that are being proposed across the United States.

Happy that the SCOTUS has not interfered here. Schools must be places where all feel free to be themselves.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 03:18 PM   #2418
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Don't like the competition Cali?

Yes, Arizona is an embarrassment that keeps getting worse. I find it funny that people were shocked when I said there were shenanigans in the election influence by the Arizona GOP. Sadly, the whole GOP has gone GQP, and it is just bizarre how far each state legislature is going to out crazy each other right now. Mexico is looking better all the time.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:20 PM   #2419
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

edit- I totally read your reply wrong!
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:05 PM   #2420
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Florida? Florida.

If every single academic registered their views as GOP....it would render the whole exercise pointless.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fozzie_DeBear For This Useful Post: