Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-16-2021, 10:22 PM   #21
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Dad took me to a Calgary Centennials game in the 70s - I think the opposition was Victoria Cougars. They had a huge brawl in the warm-ups and the game was cancelled.
I went to a game where the Centennials where playing the Medicine Hat Tigers that had the Gassoff brothers for thugs. A brawl started during the game and they turned off the lights to get the players to stop fighting. During the brawl a Centannials jersey was tossed into the stands and when the lights were turned back on the jersey was tossed back onto the ice.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:02 PM   #22
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I witnessed several bench-clearing brawls between the Flames and Oilers in that era, up close from the stands. No doubt getting that stuff out of the game was necessary to grow TV audiences. However, as a live spectacle it was pretty amazing.
Those were some of the best!! Great times.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:08 PM   #23
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just imagine walking into the arena 5-10 minutes before puck drop, thinking you're on time, and you enter the bowl to see the two teams just brawling already. You'd think you missed the start of the game!

Spittin Chiclets had Shayne Corson on recently as well as some of the 80's Islanders where they talked about some of these events, including this one. Kind of interesting but unfortunately RA is the only one old enough to actually remember what it was like so the questions sort of missed the point.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:35 PM   #24
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I went to a game where the Centennials where playing the Medicine Hat Tigers that had the Gassoff brothers for thugs. A brawl started during the game and they turned off the lights to get the players to stop fighting. During the brawl a Centannials jersey was tossed into the stands and when the lights were turned back on the jersey was tossed back onto the ice.
Hate to say it but I loved the Gassoff Brothers in Med Hat. Never missed a game when they came to town. Bob was a beauty in the NHL also until his unfortunate accident.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:14 AM   #25
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw some wild fight filled games between the Lethbridge Hurricanes and the Medicine Hat Tigers in the mid 90s. One was a bench clearing brawl in the 3rd period. Heavyweights going at it, two goalie fights at the same time. It was hard to know what to watch! After it all settled a few players were kicked out, they dropped the puck and another line brawl ensued. Then, I believe it happened a 3rd time. After the dust settled there was only 2 or 3 players left on each bench. You'll never guess what happened after the final buzzer. More fights. I think that was 1995 and was the last or 2nd last game of the year for the Hurricanes. The last home game anyway.

The next year they picked up Dale Purintan close to the deadline and he was the meanest and dirtiest player I saw during that era. One game against the Hitmen he lined up next to a Hitman and you can see him ask for a fight. The Hitman shook his head no, but Purintan told him yes. Before the puck even hit the ice Purintan grabbed the guy and started beating his face in. A line brawl started and at one point Purintan wound up on top of his opponent and was smacking the guys face into the ice, like the ice was a WWE turnbuckle.

All that stuff was fun to watch when I was younger but it makes me cringe when I see it happen now.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:19 AM   #26
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I witnessed several bench-clearing brawls between the Flames and Oilers in that era, up close from the stands. No doubt getting that stuff out of the game was necessary to grow TV audiences. However, as a live spectacle it was pretty amazing.
Never have been able to find a clip of it but the best I ever saw was one in 84 or 85, at one point Hunter and Semenko were lying side by side on the ice trading shots for what seemed like 3 straight minutes, I was in row 8 and I can still see the grin on Hunters face
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:09 AM   #27
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just going to leave this here
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 12:15 PM   #28
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

^ Poor, lonely Jukka Hentunen
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:22 PM   #29
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's crazy what hockey used to be.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:25 PM   #30
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Things I remember from watching that Flames/Ducks clip:

Bryan Murray is a whiney little weasel. He's up there with Paul Maurice for whiney coaches.

Mike Rogers was always negative nancy. He was worse in his later years but I always found him very negative.

Dave Lowry shooting the puck over the glass with 13 seconds left was such a boss move. It makes me laugh every time I see it.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:39 PM   #31
BarDown
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

Dave Lowry shooting the puck over the glass with 13 seconds left was such a boss move. It makes me laugh every time I see it.
Absolutely. As does Friesen trying to skate away off the draw after Berube lined up next to him.
BarDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:31 PM   #32
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDown View Post
Absolutely. As does Friesen trying to skate away off the draw after Berube lined up next to him.
Do not blame him one little bit.

Dude is a frightening human when pissed off.

First hand experience.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:45 PM   #33
skeena1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Dave Brown was a world class POS.
The master at getting in the cheapshot while his opponent was already flat on his back and out of it.
skeena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:48 PM   #34
skeena1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've heard a couple of times that because Lemieux was involved, some of the Habs were not in a huge hurry to come out to his rescue.
skeena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:34 PM   #35
BarDown
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Do not blame him one little bit.

Dude is a frightening human when pissed off.

First hand experience.
100%. I can only imagine what was going through Friesen's head after witnessing everything that transpired in the previous 15 minutes, and then looking up and seeing Berube.
BarDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 02:37 PM   #36
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My favorite part of the Habs-Flyers brawl is the organist going at it the whole time. LOL
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:32 AM   #37
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Never have been able to find a clip of it but the best I ever saw was one in 84 or 85, at one point Hunter and Semenko were lying side by side on the ice trading shots for what seemed like 3 straight minutes, I was in row 8 and I can still see the grin on Hunters face
Hunter and McClelland had a fight like that. Lying on the ice side by side throwing.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:54 AM   #38
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Things I remember from watching that Flames/Ducks clip:

Bryan Murray is a whiney little weasel. He's up there with Paul Maurice for whiney coaches.

Mike Rogers was always negative nancy. He was worse in his later years but I always found him very negative.

Giguere kicked a player at 17:16 and never really gets talked about.

Things I remember though watching that is letting Lydman, Savard and Giguere get away with nothing in return.

I do miss pre-2005 hockey though.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote