Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2023, 10:11 AM   #11001
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I'm not opposed to this but raising it 3% sure gives the UCP a nice hammer.
They're already slamming it as a 38% increase, which technically is correct. They'll absolutely try to use it as a hammer.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 10:11 AM   #11002
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
The only way we can have lower mortgage rates in AB than everywhere else is with government money. A guarantee from the Alberta govt is not as good as the existing guarantee most mortgages have from the Canadian government (via CMHC) so adds 0 value and wouldn't lower interest rates for Albertans. I guess they could build an Alberta version, get licensed, and charge lower fees than cmhc. That would help Alberta buyers a bit but not lower interest rates.

There are 2 ways to lower interest rates, and as someone who believes the correct interest rate for the AB economy is often different then for Canada as whole I would support neither of them:
1) the AB government lends money for mortgages at a lower-than-market rate, either directly or by buying mortgages as low rates from banks
2) the AB government directly subsidizes mortgage interest, either with payments to borrowers or lenders.

Those are the only 2 choices, they're equivalent, and they both suck.
Assuming there's actually some kind of coherence in what she's thinking/saying (which is a stretch), I'd assume she'd be wanting to make it so people in Alberta don't need to meet the stress test and/or have looser GDS/TDS standards.

So the actual rates paid wouldn't be any lower, but people would qualify for more money. How that helps anything, I have no idea though.
opendoor is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2023, 10:13 AM   #11003
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
They're already slamming it as a 38% increase, which technically is correct. They'll absolutely try to use it as a hammer.
And yet small businesses would see a 100% decrease in corporate taxes. I'm sure the UCP will address it as such.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2023, 10:18 AM   #11004
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Bets on when TBA/subsidiary UCP organization/Lead Muppet Danielle Smith start using Make Alberta Great Again as their slogan if they win?
It certainly looks (and sounds) like the UCP wants to move Alberta into US style healthcare with US style banking and US style criminal justice. And when I say "US Style" I mean Red State economics with Red State social programs, Red State civil liberties and Red State policing.

I'm not sure if it's on purpose, but the messaging seems to be there.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 10:21 AM   #11005
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
It certainly looks (and sounds) like the UCP wants to move Alberta into US style healthcare with US style banking and US style criminal justice. And when I say "US Style" I mean Red State economics with Red State social programs, Red State civil liberties and Red State policing.

I'm not sure if it's on purpose, but the messaging seems to be there.
How could it not be on purpose? It is their platform, to the extent they actually have a platform/plan.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 10:34 AM   #11006
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
In both cases, wouldn't the Albertan government need to raise taxes? Or they would risk running deficits. Besides, it's not like they can just go and print money to account for the shortfall.
The second option for sure would immediately cost the gov't a bunch of money, so would either require more taxes, less spending elsewhere, or a deficit.

The first option is more complicated - they could theoretically borrow a bunch of 5 year money (their existing bonds yield about 3.5% for 5 year so that's a good guess at the cost) and then lend it out at that price or a bit higher, which is a big savings compared to current rates. If they only made CMHC loans they wouldn't lose money on defaults (other than whatever it cost them to make the loans).

All that said, my confidence that they could do a better job at underwriting risk and controlling costs than the existing banks is not very high, so I think the "we don't need to make a profit" savings would likely be outweighed by "we're a bunch of idiots and everything we do turns to crap" costs. But YMMV on that prediction.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 10:36 AM   #11007
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Assuming there's actually some kind of coherence in what she's thinking/saying (which is a stretch), I'd assume she'd be wanting to make it so people in Alberta don't need to meet the stress test and/or have looser GDS/TDS standards.

So the actual rates paid wouldn't be any lower, but people would qualify for more money. How that helps anything, I have no idea though.
That's even dumber than I assumed her plan was!
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 10:36 AM   #11008
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
She reminds me more and more of Social Credit. Just hare-brained, wacky ideas that will never work and are economically insane. Couple that with the appalling social comments and policies and I just can't believe the NDP isn't winning this in a walk.
I guess a large number of Albertans are stupid as ####

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 10:38 AM   #11009
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
We are not allowed to say that. It hurts peoples feelings and makes them vote UCP.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2023, 10:39 AM   #11010
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
We are not allowed to say that. It hurts peoples feelings and makes them vote UCP.
#### those ####s

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2023, 10:40 AM   #11011
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
And yet small businesses would see a 100% decrease in corporate taxes. I'm sure the UCP will address it as such.
Didn't they limit that to $100k though?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 10:47 AM   #11012
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Didn't they limit that to $100k though?
You're going to have to provide an official source because what does "100k" mean? On profit? On revenue?

Didn't find a single article so far that has "100k" limitation information yet.
Old 05-17-2023, 10:52 AM   #11013
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You're going to have to provide an official source because what does "100k" mean? On profit? On revenue?

Oh I misread that part of that screenshot. I read it as 0% tax for businesses under $100,000 - but it actually meant that the rate change would affect 100,000 small businesses I think.

"Reduce Small Business Tax Rate to 0% for 100,000 small Businesses"
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
Old 05-17-2023, 10:53 AM   #11014
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well, hence it being a question. If I had something other than a screenshot of their "costed platform" (which is a whole other conversation), I suppose I would know this easily.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 10:54 AM   #11015
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Yeah that's what I think I heard in passing - it would affect 100,000 businesses. But confirmation is key.
Old 05-17-2023, 10:55 AM   #11016
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1658759766834053120

Why not our own military, too? She also seems committed to endless sprawl, so that's another poor policy she supports.

Has she come up with even one good actionable idea in all her ramblings?

Why not our own country???
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 10:58 AM   #11017
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Why not our own country???
We're seeing the Endgame now
Old 05-17-2023, 11:02 AM   #11018
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
The only way we can have lower mortgage rates in AB than everywhere else is with government money. A guarantee from the Alberta govt is not as good as the existing guarantee most mortgages have from the Canadian government (via CMHC) so adds 0 value and wouldn't lower interest rates for Albertans. I guess they could build an Alberta version, get licensed, and charge lower fees than cmhc. That would help Alberta buyers a bit but not lower interest rates.

There are 2 ways to lower interest rates, and as someone who believes the correct interest rate for the AB economy is often different then for Canada as whole I would support neither of them:
1) the AB government lends money for mortgages at a lower-than-market rate, either directly or by buying mortgages as low rates from banks
2) the AB government directly subsidizes mortgage interest, either with payments to borrowers or lenders.

Those are the only 2 choices, they're equivalent, and they both suck.

Could they make mortgage interest tax-deductible or do federal rules apply? Just a different form or government subsidies but more in line with their American leanings.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 11:19 AM   #11019
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I love to hear comments from the the political minority directed to the establishment
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 11:26 AM   #11020
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Well the 8% rate combined with the federal rate is reasonably competitive across most jurisdictions, which was the point of cutting it to that rate in the first place. Increasing it becomes less competitive and decreasing it becomes more competitive. Because some businesses can choose where to locate corporately and how they are structured, the relationship between increasing the rate and decreasing the rate isn't linear. Decreasing the rate doesn't decrease the tax revenue as much as the multiplier of the rate times corporate profit in the province because all things being equal, more businesses will choose to be incorporated here and the opposite is true on the other end, increasing it isn't going to bring in as much revenue as the multiplier of the rate increase and current corporate profits.
You have to really want to have your business in Alberta or you have to be in Alberta because of the business you are in.

You could put taxes at 0% in Alberta and the vast majority savings would be wiped out in wages you'd have to pay to get people to move there.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote