Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-13-2019, 09:11 PM   #181
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a pretty good look at the protests.

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2019, 08:56 AM   #182
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Far from over, only escalating

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...-protests-live

Quote:
Hong Kong protester shot in chest as China National Day demos intensify
Quote:
Hong Kong police shot an 18-year-old protester with live ammunition, marking a major escalation in the use of force against demonstrators.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:14 AM   #183
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

An insightful thread.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1179323808467111936

Meanwhile, in Vancouver young Mainlanders acting as thugs rip down a pro-HK Lennon wall put up by high school students.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1179250578666471424

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"

Last edited by JohnnyB; 10-02-2019 at 08:26 AM.
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:26 AM   #184
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

So sad to see this unraveling in one of my favourite (and one of the most unique) cities in the entire world (which I have visited dozens of time).
Old 10-02-2019, 09:17 AM   #185
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's sad when people identify so much with their nationality that they act like that. The Pro-CCP have no clue.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:13 AM   #186
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My dad was just there for the past week visiting my grandma and some family and friends. He said it's really bad over there, and there are lot of unsafe areas and places you should stay away from.

I too am really sad to see this happen. I love Hong Kong, and has been my favorite place to visit all my life.

That video above in Vancouver angers me though, as the pro PCC youth are acting like thugs and bullies. There is nothing threatening about the Lennon wall, and they act like someone slapped their mother.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:45 PM   #187
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

It’s probably good I’m not in Canada right now. My anti-China bias would end up getting me hurt and arrested.

Taiwan has announced that Chinese citizens who damage Lennon-walls will lose their visas and be forced to leave the country.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:11 PM   #188
Allos
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Allos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:22 PM   #189
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Carrie Lam used emergency powers to implement a "no masks" law, basically giving the police the legal authority to arrest protesters.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/04/w...cy-powers.html

And for some irony.

Quote:
The law, the so-called Emergency Regulations Ordinance, offers the chief executive extensive legal authority to pass rules without having to go through the legislature. It was last used during deadly riots in 1967, when pro-Communist protesters railed against the British government that oversaw the city.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:28 AM   #190
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

So I guess you guys have all moved on from this? Because it's still going on in HK and the protestors are getting more and more out of control.

Basically HK has been shutdown for months now and all events cancelled. It's a real shame.

savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:57 PM   #191
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The video coming out of Hong Kong today is horrifying. Protestors are shooting arrows at cops and molatov cocktails. The Police have just issued a warning that they are going to go to lethal force and live bullets if the protestors don't back down.

Meanwhile Iran is burning and the security forces bought in to contain the protests are breaking down and fleeing on video.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #192
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The video coming out of Hong Kong today is horrifying. Protestors are shooting arrows at cops and molatov cocktails. The Police have just issued a warning that they are going to go to lethal force and live bullets if the protestors don't back down.
They've already used lethal force. The cops are the ones with all the heavy gear, the guns, the rifles. Using armoured cars to try to run over protestors and only turn back once a molotov cocktail storm rains down on them. ##### the Hong Kong Police, screw the Chines government and anyone standing with them. Especially the mainlanders in Vancouver and the rest of Canada spewing their bull####.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #193
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

The police in HK is no longer just the HK police. Back in the summer China brought in another several thousand troops to the PLA barracks in downtown HK. They said it was just the regular annual rotation of troops in and out of HK, but the troops being rotated out never seemed to leave. During the protests there has since been increasing video evidence suggesting that Chinese military troops are dressed as HK police force to participate in crack downs.

Yesterday, the PLA openly came out of the barracks. They jogged around with a camera man following them as they went through a small crowd cheering for them, then proceeded to clean up some bricks left scattered on streets by protesters. A superficially positive gesture, but also an open violation of the law that will be seen as a threat and a step towards an open military crackdown.

The crackdowns on university campuses is also a significant escalation. The universities are the centers of free thought in HK. The first night of crackdowns at CUHK featured around 2,000 canisters of tear gas being fired.

At the same time, there have been increasing numbers of arrested protesters going missing and more and more young people ending up dead having fallen from tall buildings. Recently, protesters have taken to shouting out their names when being arrested so that their names can be recorded by journalists capturing the protests and so lawyers can try to track them after arrest. Numerous videos also show police covering their mouths and trying to block them shouting out during arrests.

The Chinese state media is also using increasingly harsh language for protesters, such as graphics and videos that refer to HK protesters as cockroaches and as garbage. They also continue to blame the protests on the US, saying it's just foreign influencers causing the trouble while HK people support the police.

There is zero trust in the police at this time in HK and no political solutions being worked on by the government. Even those demands that should not be difficult to meet have been ignored and the police, who are notably not politicians and don't have the tools to solve political issues, are the ones being left to deal with the public.

I don't support the violence in HK. Nonetheless, it's worth remembering that when this started a few months ago two million people took peacefully to the street, in a city of just 7+ million. The response was to leave the police to deal with the situation.

It is an outright disaster for everyone in HK. It's also an open refusal to recognize international agreement regarding the handover of HK and is an expression to everyone regionally that their Western alliances can't be counted on.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 01:44 PM   #194
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
They've already used lethal force. The cops are the ones with all the heavy gear, the guns, the rifles. Using armoured cars to try to run over protestors and only turn back once a molotov cocktail storm rains down on them. ##### the Hong Kong Police, screw the Chines government and anyone standing with them. Especially the mainlanders in Vancouver and the rest of Canada spewing their bull####.
Yeah F that crap. Rioters trying to take the guns off police and attacking old people get zero sympathy. Setting people on fire?!? #### them. Screw anyone supporting these violent #######s.

Quote:
The video shows the man, who is already bleeding, walking away from the group as he shouts: “You are not Chinese”. They respond saying: “We are Hong Kongers”, before a shouted insult sees the man in green return to confront them, according to the South China Morning Post.

As the argument resumes, a person dressed in black and wearing a face mask runs up from behind the group of young people and douses the man in liquid, before setting it on fire with a lighter, video from behind the man in green shows. The assailant then appears to flee the scene.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9197846.html
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 03:30 PM   #195
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Right now it's being reported that the police have trapped protesters inside PolyU. They apparently announced that they were providing a final chance for people to leave through one of the exits and that thereafter everyone inside, regardless of whether or not they were a journalist or a medic, would be arrested for rioting. Reports are also that the police just arrested those who came out anyways, including medics and some journalists. The police apparently are armed with live ammunition including military rifles. The students inside aren't likely to back down. I fear it will be a terrible 24 hours for HK. There are already scenes that look like a war zone.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:32 PM   #196
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Yeah F that crap. Rioters trying to take the guns off police and attacking old people get zero sympathy. Setting people on fire?!? #### them. Screw anyone supporting these violent #######s.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9197846.html
The fine taste of quality boots.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 05:53 PM   #197
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
The fine taste of quality boots.
You would know.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #198
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think anyone likes violent protestors, but considering the government has refused reform in the face of peaceful protests and the police have become increasingly militant what choice do they have?
Old 11-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #199
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You would know.
You typed this while kowtowing to China.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 06:19 PM   #200
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
You typed this while kowtowing to China.
lol