Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-11-2019, 02:01 PM   #241
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/11/polit...ors/index.html

well, that was quick... guns still on the streets though...
Big tobacco found their chance to strike.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 02:01 PM   #242
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/11/polit...ors/index.html

well, that was quick... guns still on the streets though...
that's actually pleasantly shocking.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:08 PM   #243
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Haha. That’s the most Donald Trump thing ever. We’ve ruined the economy, environment, democracy, legal system, political system, international trade and diplomacy but let’s ban eliquids. That’ll save the children.

Because now kids will definitely stop vaping and won’t be buying black market eliquids and that makes it safer.

Never underestimate the stupidity of hysteria fuelled mob rule I guess. I can’t wait for the inevitable “Vape Madness” propaganda movie.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 09-11-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:32 PM   #244
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Haha. That’s the most Donald Trump thing ever. We’ve ruined the economy, environment, democracy, legal system, political system, international trade and diplomacy but let’s ban eliquids. That’ll save the children.

Because now kids will definitely stop vaping and won’t be buying black market eliquids and that makes it safer.

Never underestimate the stupidity of hysteria fuelled mob rule I guess. I can’t wait for the inevitable “Vape Madness” propaganda movie.
If the kids are still listening to that jazz music clearly its only a matter of time

afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #245
Reggie28
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Do any of you guys who vape find yourself hacking up brown stuff once in a while? I've been off the cigarettes for two months now, but have been using a Vype ePen and a Juul. I'm not sure if this brown substance is from the vape or if it is my lungs still recovering from years of smoking. One thing for sure, it is a lot less than when I was smoking.

On a side note, my new-ish girlfriend wasn't overly excited (to say the least) when she found out that I quit smoking but started vaping. Now, I have moved on to nicotine gum, kind of my personal Uncle Buck five year plan. Addiction is a strange beast and difficult to tame.
Reggie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie28 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 03:23 PM   #246
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie28 View Post
Do any of you guys who vape find yourself hacking up brown stuff once in a while? I've been off the cigarettes for two months now, but have been using a Vype ePen and a Juul. I'm not sure if this brown substance is from the vape or if it is my lungs still recovering from years of smoking. One thing for sure, it is a lot less than when I was smoking.

On a side note, my new-ish girlfriend wasn't overly excited (to say the least) when she found out that I quit smoking but started vaping. Now, I have moved on to nicotine gum, kind of my personal Uncle Buck five year plan. Addiction is a strange beast and difficult to tame.
I vaped for a while. I wasn't coughing up stuff but I did feel like my lungs were more impacted than when I smoked regular cigarettes. Like they felt "heavy" and sluggish. My breath felt more labored.

Now I just use nothing.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #247
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

@Reggie28 - That could be just a result from giving up the combustion delivery. I know when I quit, I was hacking up some of the most nasty, black looking crap in the morning shower. Can take a bit of time to start showing up as the cilia in your lungs start working again and start sweeping tar out of your lungs. That's just an assumption on my part though.

@nik- Interesting to hear you say that. I figured I'd give an e-cig a try before just going the usual Champix route and I really didn't like it. Found it way harsher on my lungs than a regular smoke.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:03 PM   #248
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

I'd be concerned about this. Could be your lungs having an immune reaction to the various compounds within the vaping liquids.

I've never vaped regularly, but on the times I did try it, I definitely noticed an oil buildup in my throat. I'm also very sensitive to smells so noticed the flavoring smell and the smell of the oil on my clothes and hands the next day.

The combination of a buildup from cigarette use, underneath a buildup of Vaping oil, could be pretty bad. The oils in vapes apparently make it especially hard for your body to deal with infection, and act as physical barrier.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:41 PM   #249
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

nothing so far, but i don't vape very often... a single Juul cartridge for example probably lasts me one or two weeks...

the act of smoking, for me at least, was the toughest thing to give up on... i used to bring nicorette mist when i went out for beers, but it wasn't the same...

anyways, everything in moderation
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:00 PM   #250
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Could be any number of things. Nicotine strength, type of vape, wattage, ohms, type of eliquids etc.

I can only speak for myself, having used a smok mod with crown 3 tanks, .4 ohm coils, 55 watts. I’ve also only ever used 3mg nicotine from reputable Canadian producers. Usually a 70/30 vg/pg. I’ve never experienced any heavy lungs, phlegm or any other respiratory issues from vaping. I feel about a million times better than I did when I smoked. Used to cough up all kinds of awful stuff and would frequently have issues with coughing. Quite expectedly felt like crap any time I’d work out. I’ve now vaped off and on for a couple years. About 5ml a day, which is the size of my tank. Never had any issues.

I’ve heard juuls use a different nicotine delivery system with salt vape juice and that it gives you way, way more nicotine than conventional vaping.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 07:28 PM   #251
Reggie28
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I vaped for a while. I wasn't coughing up stuff but I did feel like my lungs were more impacted than when I smoked regular cigarettes. Like they felt "heavy" and sluggish. My breath felt more labored.

Now I just use nothing.
My lungs definitely feel better after quitting smoking, a hundred times better. When I first quit and switched to the vape I could tell my lungs were recovering, breathing was a lot easier and my body was expelling lots of brown phlegm. After two months, it is significantly lighter, but I am still occasionally expelling brown gunk.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:43 PM   #252
Reggie28
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I'd be concerned about this. Could be your lungs having an immune reaction to the various compounds within the vaping liquids.

I've never vaped regularly, but on the times I did try it, I definitely noticed an oil buildup in my throat. I'm also very sensitive to smells so noticed the flavoring smell and the smell of the oil on my clothes and hands the next day.

The combination of a buildup from cigarette use, underneath a buildup of Vaping oil, could be pretty bad. The oils in vapes apparently make it especially hard for your body to deal with infection, and act as physical barrier.
The packaging on the Juul cartridges indicated each one was equivalent to a pack of cigarettes. One cartridge would last me a day, at most two, so I would call that heavy use.

The oil is what had me concerned, with the vype unit, I would sometimes get the oil in my mouth, particularly if the unit was inverted. Anyways, now that I’m on the gum and off the vape, I’ll see what happens.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:24 PM   #253
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Omg no way! Who could have predicted this? Why would the media go to such lengths to make me think all vaping products were the cause? Im downright shocked they would report on something this serious knowing full well they were spreading fear and disinformation. I’m so relieved Trump banned those dangerous vape flavours that were completely unrelated to this health epidemic.

Quote:
As U.S health officials scramble to identify the root cause of hundreds of severe lung illnesses tied to vaping, one possible culprit identified so far is a line of illicit marijuana vape products sold under the brand names “Dank Vapes” and “Chronic Carts.”
https://globalnews.ca/news/5907391/v...ank-vapes/amp/
Old 09-18-2019, 08:10 AM   #254
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

....and banned in India.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:12 PM   #255
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:23 PM   #256
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not from vaping only directly after I quit smoking.

I'm a pretty heavy vaper over 8 years at the same time I'm a long distance bikepacker and soon I'll be doing long distance endurance racimg like the Tour divide, Baja divide and continental divide.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:29 PM   #257
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 09-24-2019 at 01:50 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:49 AM   #258
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's now being reported almost on every news source it is Cbd oil mix woth vitamin E acetate causing issues not Vaping nicotine. .....
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 09:23 AM   #259
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
It's now being reported almost on every news source it is Cbd oil mix woth vitamin E acetate causing issues not Vaping nicotine. .....
The funny thing is if you waded through all of the BS early on it was reported way back then also.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #260
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Unrelated to the hysteria but there was a long term study recently published. I didn’t read the whole study, only the article and abstract/conclusion that are linked in the article.

Quote:
They found that the vapour could trigger the death of healthy airway epithelial cells - even in products without nicotine.

They also showed, for the first time, that extracts of the vapour interfered with the immune system by altering the functioning of macrophages, the cells that lock away dead and dying cells in our bodies.

The researchers say the findings, published in journal Respirology, show e-cigarettes should not be considered harmless.
https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/healt...veals-c-467319

The only conclusion was that the vapour isn’t harmless, it doesn’t appear to comment on how damaging it can be or how much damage smoking cigarettes can do to the same cells. Might be minimal harm. Curious to see if we get any more actual studies. Much like marijuana it may be difficult to obtain proper grants and funding due to the demonization of the product.