Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2019, 09:12 PM   #21
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he somehow clicks, Avs will be downright scary. However, what Nichushkin excels at is along the boards apparently. His defensive game is supposedly fairly good as well. No idea how his offence didn't translate, but at least he should help on a checking role. Good gamble for them to take on this kid.

Will be interesting to see if a change of scenery gets this kid back on track or not, but he should still be a fairly useful depth player for them this year. Avs really have improved this off-season.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 09:44 PM   #22
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can the avs just be launched into the damn sun already?
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:11 AM   #23
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's too bad Nuke had that knee injury. I remember wishing that the Flames would take him over Monahan and Lindholm. Would have thought it would be neat if the Flames ended up with all 3 at the same time. Too bad the Avs got him. Don't need him though.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:28 AM   #24
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
If he somehow clicks, Avs will be downright scary. However, what Nichushkin excels at is along the boards apparently. His defensive game is supposedly fairly good as well. No idea how his offence didn't translate, but at least he should help on a checking role. Good gamble for them to take on this kid.

Will be interesting to see if a change of scenery gets this kid back on track or not, but he should still be a fairly useful depth player for them this year. Avs really have improved this off-season.
This signing has no bearing on the scariness of the Avs.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:42 AM   #25
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

0-10 stat line last season...

...Where is Peyton when you need him...
gt4flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:45 AM   #26
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

This is the team I am scared the most of next season in our own conference.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:59 AM   #27
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
He never really has been much of an NHL'er.
Ya I agree but the potential was always huge
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:03 AM   #28
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never get being scared of teams...I mean all year people were scared of Tampa for some reason. Basically just hand them the cup. Leafs last off season.

There are always going to be good teams, lets say the Avs are really good. What are we worried about? Western Final? If the Flames get there I will take my chances.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:20 AM   #29
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I never get being scared of teams...I mean all year people were scared of Tampa for some reason. Basically just hand them the cup. Leafs last off season.

There are always going to be good teams, lets say the Avs are really good. What are we worried about? Western Final? If the Flames get there I will take my chances.
That's very Braveheart of you, but most reasonable people would normally be worried about teams that did well in last years playoffs and are seemingly on the rise. And specifically, the Avs waxed the floor with us in the playoffs and we really haven't done anything to address changes - unless you consider Lucic the difference maker.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 11:36 AM   #30
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I highly doubt it. The guy has had very talented players to play with and could do nothing. He looked worse than Yak in the NHL.
He never really got a chance to play with any of the top players last year in Dallas. Nichushkin spent much of the year out of favour and toiling on the 4th line. I'd guess the defensive shell the Stars went into when they were decimated by injuries really put him out of place with the coaching staff in a hurry.

This is a great signing from a reclamation standpoint and the fact Colorado was viewed as lacking significant depth last year. The Avs might have a big winger that can flirt with 40 points if they use him properly. If it doesn't work out, who cares.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:31 PM   #31
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't expect much, but agree that this is a risk worth taking, especially if you're still looking to add wingers at this point.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:20 PM   #32
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
... but most reasonable people would normally be worried about teams that did well in last years playoffs and are seemingly on the rise...
Would they? You may feel that way, I don't worry too much about other teams. Nothing I can do about them.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:55 PM   #33
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's very Braveheart of you, but most reasonable people would normally be worried about teams that did well in last years playoffs and are seemingly on the rise. And specifically, the Avs waxed the floor with us in the playoffs and we really haven't done anything to address changes - unless you consider Lucic the difference maker.
If the Avs are good the Flames are unlikely to meet them in the playoffs...why worry?

If they do meet its in the West final and the Flames obviously are doing something right to get there. Any team who makes it there is good...why worry so much about a non divisional team?
Old 08-21-2019, 08:27 AM   #34
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Nichushkin is not a big add by any means, but this news just piles into the larger feeling I'm having that the flames main competitors have all made substantial improvements this offseason, while the flames have not.

Colorado looks like a much stronger team heading into next season. Vegas also looks potent. Canucks look better albeit still not great. Phoenix has improved.

The cali teams haven't made improvements but their players seem to ebb and flow much more often so we can't discount them.

The oilers are the only team that I can identify in our division that has had a "worse" off season than we have, and that worries me.
Keep in mind all those teams are trying to keep pace with us. The Colorado Avalanche are not our direct competition. I suspect both teams will be competing for the division lead. Our direct competition is San Jose, who I think got worse, and Vegas who stayed about the same and I expect will be a two horse between Vegas and Calgary for 1st.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:35 AM   #35
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Avs sign Valeri Nichushkin (1 yr, $850k AAV)

Quote:
That's very Braveheart of you, but most reasonable people would normally be worried about teams that did well in last years playoffs and are seemingly on the rise...
You mean like the 2017-18 Winnipeg Jets, or the 2016-17 Edmonton Oilers?

Quote:
And specifically, the Avs waxed the floor with us in the playoffs and we really haven't done anything to address changes - unless you consider Lucic the difference maker.

Yeah, any concern about the outcome of that series would certainly stem from the belief about what sorts of changes needed to be made. A five game series is such a small sample size to begin with, and the Flames did not lose round one for lack of skill or ability. Sometimes #### happens, and for the Flames it happened at the worst possible time.

I, for one, am not especially worried about any one team. The Flames are good enough that they should be able to beat anyone. The real wrinkle is in hoping that things come together at the right time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 09:46 AM   #36
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Avs went 28-12 from Februrary to the end of the season, then waxed us in the playoffs, then lost to SJ in seven games by only one goal. it's not like there is a small sample size of their performance, their improving success was happening long before our playoff series.

It's totally fine to be worried about a rising contender in our conference. What have the Flames done to address their needs this year? Avs have added Kadri, Bellemare, Donskoi among others, have an incredible top line, and will have cap space to boot in case they need to add more pieces at the trade deadline.

I guess I just differ from other posters who seem to just brush off what other teams - including the Avs - are doing to improve themselves. Time will tell.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 09:50 AM   #37
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yep. NHL is the big leagues and it's tough to win out there. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it though. It's what makes it fun as a fan
blender is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 09:53 AM   #38
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Yep. NHL is the big leagues and it's tough to win out there. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it though. It's what makes it fun as a fan
Hold your friends close, your enemies closer, and the Oilers over a garbage can
Old 08-21-2019, 10:18 AM   #39
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Avs went 28-12 from Februrary to the end of the season, then waxed us in the playoffs, then lost to SJ in seven games by only one goal. it's not like there is a small sample size of their performance, their improving success was happening long before our playoff series.

It's totally fine to be worried about a rising contender in our conference. What have the Flames done to address their needs this year? Avs have added Kadri, Bellemare, Donskoi among others, have an incredible top line, and will have cap space to boot in case they need to add more pieces at the trade deadline.

I guess I just differ from other posters who seem to just brush off what other teams - including the Avs - are doing to improve themselves. Time will tell.
Again what are you worried about? West Final? Whoever gets there will be playing good.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:36 AM   #40
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Again what are you worried about? West Final? Whoever gets there will be playing good.
I'm worried about divisive politics, climate change, the Alberta economy, sick family members, my golf game, and of course the Avs. In fact that last one I wake up in bad sweats and have to run through the streets naked to cool down and tell myself Brad Treliving has a fix for it all