Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-26-2019, 09:31 PM   #441
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
This is a thread for parents to discuss the trials and tribulations of their kids hockey seasons for good or bad. If this is your only contribution why are you even in this thread, are you trying to set a record of how many threads you can bitch and complain in all at once?

There is absolutely nothing wrong in wanting the best for your children and if a message board is a place for you to come a vent then it's likely your using that platform instead of directing that frustration on your kids which is great in my opinion.

My goal for my son and the kids I coach is to enjoy playing the game still in their 40's, however that doesn't mean I shouldn't voice my concerns with things that are out of line along the way.
First off I didn’t mean any offence (pun intended). Sorry if I insulted you.

My kid is literally starting out in minor hockey, he’s 5. That’s why I opened the thread. I know from playing hockey my entire life and following it and having friends and family in it that in some cases have gone to very high levels, I know how Canadians can twist the game into a pretty weird realm. Away from being a game. My comment was only meant in that regard. It’s important for parents to remind themselves about why their kid plays the game.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with venting if you feel like your kid is getting the shaft in evaluations but I only caution that at the end of the day as long as your kid is having fun, meeting good friends and getting some exercise, in my opinion those are the most important things. Not what team your kid ends up playing on. Sometimes parents forget that because they are passionate about the sport. Because they want more from their kid. In fact I distinctly recall being placed on a lower tier once or twice growing up because, well, for whatever reason, and I absolutely loved it because I did really well in lower levels than I otherwise would have as an average player at higher levels. When you’re kinda dominating out there or feeling productive, it’s really fun.

I think you know exactly what I’m getting at- and a thread like this is the perfect place to put this comment actually. With a new kid starting out I was blown away at the expectation for signing up and the online courses and gong show to enrol your kid. It’s sad and obvious this is needed however, but it’s because parents take kids sports to levels that cross ridiculous and enter barbaric.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 09-26-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 05:23 AM   #442
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
I've never heard of the CAHL. Our main reason for going HSL was the schedule and development. You are correct on the Periods although our first 2 games were 20-20-20, maybe a mistake. I figured out some of the rules this past weekend and the dropping of the clock only happens when there is a 7 goal difference. Probably a good rule either way. Our first game finished 7-3 and they didn't drop the clock.
What are games like for Peewee AA in the city? Out in the rural areas (league is SCHAL) we are 3 20's with floods in between each period. I think we finished 5 of our games without dropping the clock last year.

We had such a poor experience in HSL with coaching and frankly the level of play was below Peewee AA outside of a couple of teams I don't think we would ever go back. There just isn't enough teams to have good, balanced play throughout the divisions. For example, you can already see it's going to be a long season for the '10 Foothills kids, and the parents paying $4,000 to lose every game in Atom hockey. You'll be able to spot the season long losers after the first showcase for all of the divisions. There is more to hockey than winning, but when you lose every game it makes for a long season.

The concept of the game schedule is very good, I just don't think there are enough teams at this point to balance out the divisions, and the development aspect I am not so sure of. It really comes down to coaching. My son's best coaching comes from a local parent who coaches our core group for several years. Because teams are owned, for profit ventures, we had nowhere to turn for the #### show we experienced last year. I do hope the game structure makes Hockey Alberta think about their setup long term. Next weekend for example, our kids are on a bus for one trip to Medicine Hat for a single game and back.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:01 AM   #443
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If I recall correctly, Peewee in Calgary is 3 15 minute periods with no floods.

Access to ice time and funding for arenas is brutal in Calgary. Smaller centres are spoiled. Cochrane has so much ice time that they are running 3 sheets of drop in programs all day today. I know of a small town with a population of 200 that has a brand new $4million arena.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 10:12 AM   #444
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
If I recall correctly, Peewee in Calgary is 3 15 minute periods with no floods.

Access to ice time and funding for arenas is brutal in Calgary. Smaller centres are spoiled. Cochrane has so much ice time that they are running 3 sheets of drop in programs all day today. I know of a small town with a population of 200 that has a brand new $4million arena.
Most games in Calgary have set period times based on the length of the ice time.

Permit length Length of periods 1, 2 and 3
1 hour permit 12, 15 and 15 minutes
1 ¼ hour permit 15, 15 and 15 minutes
1 ½ hour permit 15, 15 and 20 minutes
1 ¾ hour permit 20, 20 and 15 minutes
2 hour permit or greater 20, 20 and 20 minutes

I think most PeeWee games are 1 1/4 in length but I am sure I had a few last year be only an hour.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:31 AM   #445
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
What are games like for Peewee AA in the city? Out in the rural areas (league is SCHAL) we are 3 20's with floods in between each period. I think we finished 5 of our games without dropping the clock last year.

I do hope the game structure makes Hockey Alberta think about their setup long term. Next weekend for example, our kids are on a bus for one trip to Medicine Hat for a single game and back.
As some others have mentioned there is no distinction between any of the PeeWee levels in Calgary in regards to length of games. Everything is a 1 1/4 hour time slot which works out to 15/15/15 with no floods. It is what it is, ice is at such a premium here there is little alternative.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2019, 09:00 AM   #446
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

well this si turning into a september to forget forever for my son.

the boy took up high school football to help fill the void of suddenly having a lot of free time. the coaches made him a defensive end. Friday night was his first game and on his third play the lineman he was up agianst tripped and fell on my sons knee - this was a knee he really hurt 3 years ago. My son seems to have gotten away somewhat luckly and appears to have a knee sprain. As it has imporvide signifiantly over the past 48 hours.

i will ahve his knee looked at today by an athletic therapist and am going to get him into a knee clinic to have a further review.

on the way hiome from the game my heart broke for the kid as he unleashed a lot of pent up emotions from the past two weeks.

He was placed on midget 1 - so there was some good news. As of right now we are hoping that he will only miss the next two weeks of practice.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:46 AM   #447
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

had to shake my head as there are two midget aa teams run in each quadrant. my son was drafted to midget aa team B and then ultimately released.

after he was released from team B he reached out to the coach to team C to say "hey, don't know where you are at with your goalies - but i'd love to meet with you to discuss any potential opportunity for me to play on your team". my son reached out to this coach once via e-mail and then a second time via text - no response from the coach of team C.

The other day the manager of team C sends my son an e-mail asking him if he wants to affiliate. Boggles my mind that anyone in quad hockey would think a 17 yr old goalie would want to affiliate. there is no upside for next year. you can come to a couple of practices or even better waste 4 hours of your life sitting on the bench for a game. if you get "lucky" enough to get in it is likely because the regular guy has given up 6 or more and everyone has quit playing so you are likely to get dinged for 3 or more in your 25 minutes, or if you play great you get a thanks and we will let you know if we need you to fill in again.

My son wanted to send the manager back a good note basically telling her no and why - but instead, my son just deleted the e-mail.

if the boy decides he wants to pursue jr b i will petition for a release from our designated quad on the grounds that they have cut him 3/5 yrs; however, i understand they generally don't give releases; otherwise his options would be to play outside the city or jr c which is community hockey or intramural/beer league at whatever school he gets into.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #448
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had to have a really good laugh yesterday. Out quadrant publishes year books and as a parent you are expected to sell at least $500 in advertising. If you sell more, you get the money back and it offsets your fees.

One of the parents that I knew reached out to me yesterday to ask if my advertiser from last year would still be interested in advertising.

I was a little floored at the request as I really seemed to be picking and the carcass, and his request contained no lead in like “hey, sorry to see your boy was cut. How is he doing”.

Anyways, no I am not going to help you make your sons journey thru aaa cheaper....
Old 10-14-2019, 10:11 PM   #449
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
As some others have mentioned there is no distinction between any of the PeeWee levels in Calgary in regards to length of games. Everything is a 1 1/4 hour time slot which works out to 15/15/15 with no floods. It is what it is, ice is at such a premium here there is little alternative.
We played a Peewee AA exhibition on the weekend against a Calgary team in Calgary and it was 3 20s with floods at each intermission.

What I found funny was there was a full hour designated to showing people how to put up dividers before our ice time.

Last edited by Deegee; 10-14-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:00 AM   #450
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
We played a Peewee AA exhibition on the weekend against a Calgary team in Calgary and it was 3 20s with floods at each intermission.

What I found funny was there was a full hour designated to showing people how to put up dividers before our ice time.
That is super rare for Calgary to be given that much ice. Do you know the team you played and at what arena. I would love to get those kinds of ice times for my kids PeeWee team

Old 10-15-2019, 11:04 AM   #451
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
That is super rare for Calgary to be given that much ice. Do you know the team you played and at what arena. I would love to get those kinds of ice times for my kids PeeWee team
Glen Lake at Optimus arena. Didsbury has a full weekend of ice available on Remembrance weekend starting Friday afternoon. 130 an hour. Calgary teams could likely use them for exhibitions. I've got the contact if anyone is interested.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #452
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

out east here in NB we are 3 15's with a flood between the 2nd and 3rd period for Peewee AAA. I must say i'm not a fan of the flood as it just stretches things out.

For Peewee AA, A and Rec they run 3 12's no flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
Most games in Calgary have set period times based on the length of the ice time.

Permit length Length of periods 1, 2 and 3
1 hour permit 12, 15 and 15 minutes
1 ¼ hour permit 15, 15 and 15 minutes
1 ½ hour permit 15, 15 and 20 minutes
1 ¾ hour permit 20, 20 and 15 minutes
2 hour permit or greater 20, 20 and 20 minutes

I think most PeeWee games are 1 1/4 in length but I am sure I had a few last year be only an hour.

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:28 PM   #453
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSJ View Post
out east here in NB we are 3 15's with a flood between the 2nd and 3rd period for Peewee AAA. I must say i'm not a fan of the flood as it just stretches things out.

For Peewee AA, A and Rec they run 3 12's no flood
Until we moved to Calgary our kids played 3 20 min with a flood between 2 and 3, until Bantam then it was 3 20's with floods between each period.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:46 AM   #454
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

generally in calgary you only see 3 x 20 with floods in quadrant hockey
Old 10-16-2019, 09:23 AM   #455
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
generally in Calgary you only see 3 x 20 with floods in quadrant hockey
We used to have this in female hockey too until last year, otherwise the rural teams did not want to come here for league games. However since GHC pulled out of the league and went fully internal (city teams only in their league) they have unfortunately gone back to the same time model as the rest of Hockey Calgary. Elite teams in Bantam and Midget still have 3x20.

Which is really just repeating your point about only Elite hockey (quadrant falls under that) having 3x20.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:06 AM   #456
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We used to have this in female hockey too until last year, otherwise the rural teams did not want to come here for league games. However since GHC pulled out of the league and went fully internal (city teams only in their league) they have unfortunately gone back to the same time model as the rest of Hockey Calgary. Elite teams in Bantam and Midget still have 3x20.

Which is really just repeating your point about only Elite hockey (quadrant falls under that) having 3x20.

The changes GHC made are horrible for Midget and Bantam.

Quote:
Old 10-16-2019, 01:26 PM   #457
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
The changes GHC made are horrible for Midget and Bantam.
They're brutal. I'm fortunate, we finished just ahead of them. I know many of the girls on our midget team did not return to GHC for their final year(s) because of them.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:35 PM   #458
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What changes? I have a friend that is thinking about GHC.

Old 10-16-2019, 03:51 PM   #459
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Basically they have brought all the teams back into a Calgary only league. At the younger ages (Novice and Atom) they play in the general Hockey Calgary tiered divisions along with boys teams. That's not a big deal IMHO. I'm nto sure how Pee Wee is handled. Bantam and Midget teams used to play in the RMFHL which was a league covering basically Red Deer and south, and form BC to Brooks. It was geographically large and a lot of parents did not like the travel. Frankly for my daughter and myself that was the main draw, we enjoyed it very much. Plus GHC never really saw eye to eye with the league on many issues. They withdrew the younger age teams a few years ago and last year decided to pull bantam and Midget as well and withdraw entirely from the league. The problem is those ages are not at all suited to play in the boys league within Calgary and there are relatively few teams of girls so they decided to lump all the Midget A and bantam A teams together in a 'league' and the same with the 'B' teams. (GHC does not tier like boys do). So you ended up with a league of 5 teams or so, mixed between bantam teams and midget teams. I don't like the idea and as I mentioned earlier we know several girls that quit rather than make this change. That said, apparently the overall reviews have been positive from what I see on the GHC website , mayve my views do not reflect the majority.

If your friends daughter is young and is considering GHC I can honestly say they do a great job at that age. And the fact that the number of young girls playing is increasing means something good is happening too. Just having an all girls team is huge to some people and probably is the difference between hem playing or not playing.

And if she is older, or as she gets older the entier Elite model has been recently revamped in Alberta over the past few years and there are some excellent choices for girls to play high level hockey now.

I'm not a fan of the changes at the community level in bantam/midget but there are a lot of good things GHC has done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 04:05 PM   #460
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Basically they have brought all the teams back into a Calgary only league. At the younger ages (Novice and Atom) they play in the general Hockey Calgary tiered divisions along with boys teams. That's not a big deal IMHO. I'm nto sure how Pee Wee is handled. Bantam and Midget teams used to play in the RMFHL which was a league covering basically Red Deer and south, and form BC to Brooks. It was geographically large and a lot of parents did not like the travel. Frankly for my daughter and myself that was the main draw, we enjoyed it very much.
There is nothing better than a long car ride with your child to spend sometime talking and getting to know what is happening in their life.

Quote:
Plus GHC never really saw eye to eye with the league on many issues. They withdrew the younger age teams a few years ago and last year decided to pull bantam and Midget as well and withdraw entirely from the league. The problem is those ages are not at all suited to play in the boys league within Calgary and there are relatively few teams of girls so they decided to lump all the Midget A and bantam A teams together in a 'league' and the same with the 'B' teams. (GHC does not tier like boys do). So you ended up with a league of 5 teams or so, mixed between bantam teams and midget teams. I don't like the idea and as I mentioned earlier we know several girls that quit rather than make this change. That said, apparently the overall reviews have been positive from what I see on the GHC website , mayve my views do not reflect the majority.

If your friends daughter is young and is considering GHC I can honestly say they do a great job at that age. And the fact that the number of young girls playing is increasing means something good is happening too. Just having an all girls team is huge to some people and probably is the difference between hem playing or not playing.
I have spent a lot of time talking with Bantam and Midget parents, I don't believe GHC's info. Obviously m sample size isn't huge, but consistently the parents say the same thing, they don't like the Bantam & Midget changes. Also, I know from speaking to my daughter (2nd yr Midget) and her teammates over the last 2 years they do not like it one bit. The season drags out and they play each other way too many times.

I have heard a number of stories about why there isn't a "Greater Calgary Female League" consiting of Calgary, Okotoks, Cochrane, Strathmore, Airdrie. Everything from HC won't allow it, to GHC cut out the surrounding associations. The fix seems so simple to me, create that league with surrounding communities in it.[/quote]

Quote:
And if she is older, or as she gets older the entier Elite model has been recently revamped in Alberta over the past few years and there are some excellent choices for girls to play high level hockey now.

I'm not a fan of the changes at the community level in bantam/midget but there are a lot of good things GHC has done.
GHC is focused on Peewee and below and Bantam/Midget Elite and above. I really don't think they care about Bantam/Midget B & A players and that is a shame.

Quote: