Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-26-2019, 04:17 PM   #41
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
After the referral to a pilot project at the end of July, I saw Dr. Lo with in a month and got my date for surgery today... December 19! He said He's doing a capsular plication and likely a repair to a tear (likely that GAGL lesion that was mentioned in my MRI) He said 6 weeks in a sling and likely a year before I can get back to work 100%. If it means I can swim again after that, I'm STOKED! He said it should be successful, as he's done similar operations on swimmers.
Christmas is going to suck this year, but will be totally worth it!
Not much to add here other than I have heard Dr Lo is excellent. My son is possibly headed for shoulder surgery (hoping not), we have been told that Lo is the person you want to do it in Calgary.

Unfortunately it's a few days too late but UCalgary had a presentation and information session on shoulder injuries and the results of a study they did. Some interesting things in here.

https://www.ucalgary.ca/news/shoulde...ot-only-option
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:45 PM   #42
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lubicon, is/was your son a competitive swimmer as a young kid by chance?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:32 AM   #43
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Lubicon, is/was your son a competitive swimmer as a young kid by chance?
No, not a swimmer at all. He injured his shoulder in a fall at home.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #44
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just got super lucky and wait listed in last week for a shoulder arthroscopy with Dr. Stewart (torn labrum). Was recommended to see Tyson Plesuk for physio when I get the go ahead, but he's booking to the end on November already. The day I get rid of this MFing sling will make it worth it.

Any other physio recommendations besides Evidence North in central / NW Calgary?? I saw Dr. Chow there and liked him.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #45
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
Just got super lucky and wait listed in last week for a shoulder arthroscopy with Dr. Stewart (torn labrum). Was recommended to see Tyson Plesuk for physio when I get the go ahead, but he's booking to the end on November already. The day I get rid of this MFing sling will make it worth it.

Any other physio recommendations besides Evidence North in central / NW Calgary?? I saw Dr. Chow there and liked him.
Tyson is top notch for Physio. I would also recommend Bodycheck in Kensington but I think there might be a wait there as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 06:54 PM   #46
Guest1

Bump: 4 days until surgery...being a little Type A: I've done a bit of homework. I got a recliner to do my sleeping in. Bought an ice machine to help with pain and empty milk cartons outside for blocks of ice. I tried to get all my house work done, so I don't have to do as much while I'm recovering. Button up and really big shirts to make it easier to get in/out of. Books bought to fight boredom. Will make lists of shows on streaming (Apple tv, Amazon, Netflix) to watch. Floss picks for one hand. Electric can opener to help. Cut all my hair off because it got stuck in the velcro of the sling and with one hand I won't be able to do my hair anyways. Christmas shopping is done and wrapped. It's my non-dominant arm, so it shouldn't be too bad wiping my butt.
Snow shoveling, dog walking and grocery shopping will have to be taken over by brownah. I'm in a sling with zero movement, no driving, no nothing for 6 weeks I hope I don't go insane. If anyone else has any hacks, let me know.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:00 PM   #47
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Stay on top of your pain. If your meds say every 4 hrs for a few days, a week, or whatever, take them every 4 hrs whether you think you need them or not. too many people wait until they're in pain and by then it's hard to get back on top of the pain.

The polar cuff(ice machine) is a game changer. Use it a lot. like all the time at first.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:19 PM   #48
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yep. 100% agree with Zevo. I had a SLAP done Oct 4 and it's still a little tender in some spots, but that's almost exclusively muscle tightness. Which for me, was by far the worst. The shoulder itself wasn't bad, but every muscle in my shoulder, upper arm, and back was extremely tight and spasmodic.

I also hated the sling. Make sure you spend good $$ to get the one that is the most comfortable for you. And get it adjusted properly...I carried my shoulder too high (very common) and that caused some of the muscle issues and lots of neck pain.

And expect to sleep in a chair the first week or so. I found bed really uncomfortable.

And book Tyson now. He was 6 weeks out for me. He's really good.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:54 PM   #49
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
Bump: 4 days until surgery...being a little Type A: I've done a bit of homework. I got a recliner to do my sleeping in. Bought an ice machine to help with pain and empty milk cartons outside for blocks of ice. I tried to get all my house work done, so I don't have to do as much while I'm recovering. Button up and really big shirts to make it easier to get in/out of. Books bought to fight boredom. Will make lists of shows on streaming (Apple tv, Amazon, Netflix) to watch. Floss picks for one hand. Electric can opener to help. Cut all my hair off because it got stuck in the velcro of the sling and with one hand I won't be able to do my hair anyways. Christmas shopping is done and wrapped. It's my non-dominant arm, so it shouldn't be too bad wiping my butt.
Snow shoveling, dog walking and grocery shopping will have to be taken over by brownah. I'm in a sling with zero movement, no driving, no nothing for 6 weeks I hope I don't go insane. If anyone else has any hacks, let me know.

The meds thing is huge, you don't have to be a hero or stud when it comes to pain management. I always worried after my surgeries about becoming addicted to the pain pills they gave me, so I would push it, and it really slowed down my recovery and made me a miserable bastard to be around.

Books and shows are great, but I found that I had little or no focus for that first week of recovery after my surgery a few years back. If you have friends that can come over and keep you company and engaged thats great.

Like I said don't be a hero, do exactly what you're told to do.

Also for people that aren't used to sleeping in a chair or a different position, I found that I would have incredibly weird and often surreal nightmares and dreams.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote