Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-14-2018, 10:49 PM   #61
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Is the process to become a driver hard? How much does it pay?
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:18 AM   #62
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
Is the process to become a driver hard? How much does it pay?
There's not much of a process at all. Open app, upload picture of drivers license and insurance info, they call you a few hours later to verify the info and you're in. Thermal food bags are required so you can provide your own or buy some from them ($75 I think)

Definitely not something you'd want to do as a job, looks like I'm averaging about $20 an hour but I've only done one 4 hour "shift" so far, and a good third of that was me sitting at my house playing rainbow six between orders. Not very busy. That's all before gas and wear and tear and whatnot so probably works out to less than minimum wage, lol. Like I said, I'm doing it out of boredom not for the money. My guess is they're always advertising for drivers because people do it for a week or two and figure it's not worth it. Mind you, I've only done it for one night, maybe if it's busy it's worth it money wise.

Last edited by btimbit; 03-15-2018 at 12:40 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:15 PM   #63
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah, I feel bad for anyone that drives for Uber, Skip the Dishes, etc. It's fine for people like timbit, but unfortunately they kind of prey on low income/laid off people thinking they can actually make any money.

They rely on a steady stream of people attracted to the easy hiring and the idea that "Wow, I have a car so all I do is sign up and I'm employed!. Anyone who drives for more than a couple weeks backs out.

There's a reason the charges are so little.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:37 PM   #64
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, I feel bad for anyone that drives for Uber, Skip the Dishes, etc. It's fine for people like timbit, but unfortunately they kind of prey on low income/laid off people thinking they can actually make any money.

They rely on a steady stream of people attracted to the easy hiring and the idea that "Wow, I have a car so all I do is sign up and I'm employed!. Anyone who drives for more than a couple weeks backs out.

There's a reason the charges are so little.
Yeah pretty much this exactly. Uber would be even worse because you essentially need $800 to get set up then you make $10 an hour. The business model is built to take advantage of the gullible, and while I've actually enjoyed it so far, it'd be a pretty #### way to earn.

It's good for someone like me who has an injury keeping them away from their regular job and wants to fill up 3-4 hours in a day a few times a week instead of being completely lazy and going on ei or something . Or would be a decent thing for someone semi retired. You make a little bit of money, keep busy, and its stress free. But if you're after part time work for the money I'd say go work at earls or something.

Last edited by btimbit; 03-18-2018 at 03:04 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:26 AM   #65
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Services like Uber, Skip the dishes, etc... Are most profitable in small towns or very concentrated cities.

Calgary is a really bad place to be a driver, as it's so spread out, roadway infrastructure is so so, and you're dealing with inflated Canadian gas prices.

I have friends in Vancouver who are couriers for them and similar services. They make $20-30/hr, which is much better than working at a place like Earl's in the back of house. Many are able to use bikes on their routes too.

Last edited by blankall; 03-18-2018 at 04:29 AM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #66
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Yeah pretty much this exactly. Uber would be even worse because you essentially need $800 to get set up then you make $10 an hour. The business model is built to take advantage of the gullible, and while I've actually enjoyed it so far, it'd be a pretty #### way to earn.

It's good for someone like me who has an injury keeping them away from their regular job and wants to fill up 3-4 hours in a day a few times a week instead of being completely lazy and going on ei or something . Or would be a decent thing for someone semi retired. You make a little bit of money, keep busy, and its stress free. But if you're after part time work for the money I'd say go work at earls or something.
I dont mean to offend but do you ever get the impression that it works because some people just want something to do?

You said it yourself, you were just sitting around and decided to just give it a whirl to keep yourself busy.

It promotes sloth and prevents social interaction which in their time and place is fine.

But its not something you're going to get rich doing. It strikes me as something where the wages are probably pretty bad but they are supplementary. Its not your job, just something you do in your spare time that meets some of your needs and other people's at the same time and you might make a few bucks in the process.

Its kind of an interesting social experiment.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #67
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I haven't used Skip the Dishes at all or Uber more than once in Calgary, but I used it a lot in LA and every single driver I had said they had a regular job and drove once they got off work for some extra cash. One guy said he turned the app on as he was leaving the parking lot and if he got a customer before he made it to the highway, he drove for the night and if not, he just went home.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:50 AM   #68
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont mean to offend but do you ever get the impression that it works because some people just want something to do?

You said it yourself, you were just sitting around and decided to just give it a whirl to keep yourself busy.

It promotes sloth and prevents social interaction which in their time and place is fine.

But its not something you're going to get rich doing. It strikes me as something where the wages are probably pretty bad but they are supplementary. Its not your job, just something you do in your spare time that meets some of your needs and other people's at the same time and you might make a few bucks in the process.

Its kind of an interesting social experiment.
Oh absolutely. And thats definitely the appeal, hell it's why I'm doing it lol. I was just saying it's more of a time killer/hobby than a part time job so if it's the extra income you're after there's better ways to get it.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:04 AM   #69
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Random BUMP.

just wanted to tell everyone to check their skip the dishes app. We were hacked and had 4 orders on our account from Montreal and Quebec. We raised the issue with SKIP and they were kind enough to tell us there is no breach on their end and it is security issues on our end. They won't even take responsibility. Regardless, i already reached out to my credit card to decline charges.

I have 3 other friends in Calgary this happened to yesterday plus many randoms on Twitter.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guzzy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 10:49 AM   #70
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
Random BUMP.

just wanted to tell everyone to check their skip the dishes app. We were hacked and had 4 orders on our account from Montreal and Quebec. We raised the issue with SKIP and they were kind enough to tell us there is no breach on their end and it is security issues on our end. They won't even take responsibility. Regardless, i already reached out to my credit card to decline charges.

I have 3 other friends in Calgary this happened to yesterday plus many randoms on Twitter.
Nope, just my usual dumbass ordering food I don't need while I'm wasted.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 10:55 AM   #71
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Nope, just my usual dumbass ordering food I don't need while I'm wasted.
I've been really dumb with ordering Cheesecake from The Cheesecake Cafe under similar circumstances. At my buddy's house the other weekend we dropped over $100 on cheesecake. The most ridiculous part was, they weren't showing up on the app because they were so busy in the kitchen. I had to call them and talk to the manager to get her to flip the app back on so I could order my cake, then she flipped it back off right after hah.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:02 AM   #72
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just wish that it didn't basically cost me $12 to even open the app.

How the hell am I ordering two items and a drink and my bill is $47?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:42 AM   #73
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
Random BUMP.

Same thing happened to me with my McDonalds app. Hacking into food apps is apparently big in Quebec right now. I just want to know what people are doing with that food. Someone ordered 40 Junior McChickens on my McDonalds app. There must be some kind of food black market in Quebec right now. I wonder what people are willing to pay for a black market Junior McChicken, as you can buy a new and freshly made one for $1.99.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:43 AM   #74
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I've been really dumb with ordering Cheesecake from The Cheesecake Cafe under similar circumstances. At my buddy's house the other weekend we dropped over $100 on cheesecake. The most ridiculous part was, they weren't showing up on the app because they were so busy in the kitchen. I had to call them and talk to the manager to get her to flip the app back on so I could order my cake, then she flipped it back off right after hah.
That's hilarious. We don't have a Cheescake Cafe here but I've definitely ordered a liter of ice cream from Marble Slab when I've been too hungover to walk to the store for ice cream.

Oh and don't forget the 3 separate occasions I've passed out while waiting for my food to arrive and failed to wake up! I'm a real piece of garbage.

There should a wall of shame for SkiptheDishes receipts.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:44 AM   #75
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Same thing happened to me with my McDonalds app. Hacking into food apps is apparently big in Quebec right now. I just want to know what people are doing with that food. Someone ordered 40 Junior McChickens on my McDonalds app. There must be some kind of food black market in Quebec right now. I wonder what people are willing to pay for a black market Junior McChicken, as you can buy a new and freshly made one for $1.99.
These are the dark consequences of legal weed that the government hid from us.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:14 PM   #76
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this is a Skipthedishes confessional I've got a story to share.

I went to Montreal to watch the Cavalry play the Impact. After the match I was pretty tight and decided that I should order a pizza through the app. The driver calls me, I answer, wasted, and start trying to explain to him where I was in broken french. Little did I know that I ordered this pizza to the last hotel I stayed at in Vancouver. Keep in mind its 10:00pm EST so it was like 7:00pm PST. After a few minutes of struggling, he explained to be that I order my pizza to the wrong province!

The best part was, that SKD reimbursed my order minus the tip. What a time to be alive.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 09:20 AM   #77
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I just wish that it didn't basically cost me $12 to even open the app.

How the hell am I ordering two items and a drink and my bill is $47?
This is why I've yet to ever use this app..this is basically what I assumed it'd be like. I don't need those drunken quarter pounders & fries THAT bad lol
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #78
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know how to enter an apartment number into your address? I can’t bypass the map setting that only captures my building address.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:57 AM   #79
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Does anyone know how to enter an apartment number into your address? I can’t bypass the map setting that only captures my building address.

Put the apt number in the notes section.
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 01:46 PM   #80
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why would Skip restaurants send orders to hotels without cutlery or napkins?

Can't say I packed that stuff in my suitcase.

Thanks AC!
kipperiggy is offline   Reply With Quote