Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2019, 12:13 PM   #321
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
We would have been complaining about this as a cheap shot last year, which it was, but now he is a Flame, so all is well
There is a certain code to hockey that still exists...lay a hit like that on a player half your size you answer the bell.

Penalties were even on that play for a reason. Had Lucic not done anything we would be questioning why he is even here.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:45 PM   #322
FusionX
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
We would have been complaining about this as a cheap shot last year, which it was, but now he is a Flame, so all is well
As others have said, of course perspectives change but truthfully, what did you want as a response, nothing?

Also, the only reason it looks like a cheapshot is because Zadorov is an idiot. Why is he looking anywhere other than at Lucic and what's about to come? It's not like the punch came from the back or heck, even the side. It's his own damn fault for smirking like a smuck and looking to the refs/linesmen for who knows what.

I for one love the response and would much rather this than all the cheap crap that Landeskog pulls regularly (and no, I don't have clips, it's just an observation based on multiple games likely tinged with bias).
FusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FusionX For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 01:19 PM   #323
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Flames lose 10th consecutive season-opener (5-3 Avs win)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionX View Post
As others have said, of course perspectives change but truthfully, what did you want as a response, nothing?

Also, the only reason it looks like a cheapshot is because Zadorov is an idiot. Why is he looking anywhere other than at Lucic and what's about to come? It's not like the punch came from the back or heck, even the side. It's his own damn fault for smirking like a smuck and looking to the refs/linesmen for who knows what.

I for one love the response and would much rather this than all the cheap crap that Landeskog pulls regularly (and no, I don't have clips, it's just an observation based on multiple games likely tinged with bias).
What? It wasn’t a cheap shot because Zaradov was not paying attention? Come on. This is apologetic nonsense. Regardless of whether or not you are happy about the hit, that was the textbook definition of a cheap shot.

Let’s at least be honest about what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 02:26 PM   #324
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Dudes if I just leveled a smaller player and I had lucic coming at me... I'm not gonna start smiling and look away. It's a given that you're gonna have retribution coming. I'd be watching those hands or at least be engaged. Zero sympathy. Sucker punch? Nah. Again Lucic coming at you after a devastating hit and you assume hes coming at you for what? A hug?
Old 10-05-2019, 02:41 PM   #325
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would argue that it wasn't a sucker punch at all. Lucic had already engaged him and had shoved him a couple times. Instead of responding directly, Zadorov ignored him and looked to the ref to intervene and save him.

Add the #### eating grin to the equation, and IMO he deserved everything he got.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:45 PM   #326
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Lucic literally turns Zadorov around to look at him, then punches him. At some point, not defending yourself whatsoever against a person who is clearly about to attack you removes the element of a sucker punch.

It's obviously not clean, but a sucker punch is by definition "without warning and often without apparent provocation". Zadorov just stupidly chose not to defend himself IMO.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:49 PM   #327
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I would argue that it wasn't a sucker punch at all. Lucic had already engaged him and had shoved him a couple times. Instead of responding directly, Zadorov ignored him and looked to the ref to intervene and save him.

Add the #### eating grin to the equation, and IMO he deserved everything he got.
I didn't see it as a cheap shot either. It was a gloved jab. Zadorov knew exactly who was engaging him and did exactly as you described, looked for the ref to intervene.

If you're going to board a smaller player you should realize the other team is not going to take it lightly.

Lucic didn't drop his gloves and rear back and smoke him out of sight. Not a cheap shot.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #328
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I didn't see it as a cheap shot either. It was a gloved jab. Zadorov knew exactly who was engaging him and did exactly as you described, looked for the ref to intervene.

If you're going to board a smaller player you should realize the other team is not going to take it lightly.

Lucic didn't drop his gloves and rear back and smoke him out of sight. Not a cheap shot.
If that happened to anyone on our team people on here would be calling for heads to roll. I absolutely despise the Lucic acquisition but he did what he had to do, especially in game 1 on a new team who wants to not get pushed around by guys like Zadorov anymore. That doesn't change the fact it was absolutely a cheap play tho.

Not to mention it wasn't even a particularly dirty "boarding" hit anyways. Cannot turn late like that if you are Czarnik.

Last edited by Trojan97; 10-05-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:11 PM   #329
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan97 View Post
If that happened to anyone on our team people on here would be calling for heads to roll. I absolutely despise the Lucic acquisition but he did what he had to do, especially in game 1 on a new team who wants to not get pushed around by guys like Zadorov anymore. That doesn't change the fact it was absolutely a cheap play tho.

Not to mention it wasn't even a particularly dirty "boarding" hit anyways. Cannot turn late like that if you are Czarnik.
Disagree. In fact guys get jabbed all the time, without people calling for heads to roll. It was not a cheap shot and imo your analysis is just wrong. That was a bad hit.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:14 PM   #330
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, are we really complaining about this???

That's what he's here for, get used to it. It wasn't a sucker punch, they were engaged for a lengthy period before lucic starts feeding him.

What's the point? For one, I'm sure flames win the next game vs the avs schmucks, and secondly, i bet zadorov plays differently next game.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:15 PM   #331
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post

https://gfycat.com/unripehonesthamadryad

So satisfying in slow motion, I love Zadorov's head hitting the glass after the punch.
I just had to bump this.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:25 PM   #332
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

He was so smug in the playoffs last year. Thank you Lucic.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:26 PM   #333
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Correction: should not turn late like that.

Cannot, in this situation, applies to Zadorov, who hit Czarnik from behind and, arguably, high.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #334
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Correction: should not turn late like that.

Cannot, in this situation, applies to Zadorov, who hit Czarnik from behind and, arguably, high.
Czarnik went in on the forecheck and turned back at the last second after that piece of trash Zadorov had already committed to the check. There's a reason why every almost every neutral fanbase comment about the hit has called it a bad call.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:44 PM   #335
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Czarnik went in on the forecheck and turned back at the last second after that piece of trash Zadorov had already committed to the check. There's a reason why every almost every neutral fanbase comment about the hit has called it a bad call.
First of all, citation needed.

But even if true, fanbases aren't refs, and are slow to adjust to the new standards. You can't hit a guy into the boards from behind like that. Period.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:10 PM   #336
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

One more take on the punch because I enjoy it so much:

https://gfycat.com/unconsciousopulentanole
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 04:39 PM   #337
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

In no world is that a 'sucker punch'.

I guarantee you that Zadorov knew that a gloved punch to the face was coming - heck, it happens in so many scrums. Can you imagine what Lucic was telling him verbally as well? Zadorov was of course trying to avoid the fight, but you know what is guaranteed to avoid the fight in the first place? Don't unload fully on a check against a player half your size while the opposing team's tough guy is on the ice.

Every single player in the NHL knows what Lucic's job is out there. Lucic is probably also screaming at him that he has to answer the bell now. In no world is this a 'sucker punch'. This is a guy who is trying to avoid the fight and make Lucic take another penalty.

Good on Lucic for sticking up for Mangiapane there. Team built off of that IMO.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 06:45 PM   #338
Skyceman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Here's what Zadorov had to say about the incident and claims he wasn't scared to fight Lucic and was more upset at the refs...

Quote:
"And if anybody thinks I was scared to fight or something, they’re wrong. You can look at might fight card and see the guys who I have fought before in my career. I expect the referee to look at it, and maybe do better next game. I’m a big guy, I’m a physical player. It’s part of my game. If you give me those penalties, it just hurts our team. It’s brutal. It’s my style of the game and I’m not gonna change. They have to fix that stuff. They cannot just call (stuff) on me because I’m big or too strong. People have to prepare when they go out on the ice against me. Brace yourself, protect yourself all the time.”
https://coloradohockeynow.com/2019/1...r-the-referee/
Skyceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #339
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyceman View Post
Here's what Zadorov had to say about the incident and claims he wasn't scared to fight Lucic and was more upset at the refs...

Quote:
"And if anybody thinks I was scared to fight or something, they’re wrong. You can look at might fight card and see the guys who I have fought before in my career. I expect the referee to look at it, and maybe do better next game. I’m a big guy, I’m a physical player. It’s part of my game. If you give me those penalties, it just hurts our team. It’s brutal. It’s my style of the game and I’m not gonna change. They have to fix that stuff. They cannot just call (stuff) on me because I’m big or too strong. People have to prepare when they go out on the ice against me. Brace yourself, protect yourself all the time.”
LOL

Maybe take your own advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2019, 10:08 AM   #340
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Flames lose 10th consecutive season-opener (5-3 Avs win)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyceman View Post
Yes. That would explain why Zaradov’s response to the punch was to wrap his arms around Lucic as tightly as possible, bury his head, and hang on like his life depended on it.

I’m not an advocate for fighting in hockey, but it was crystal clear to everyone that Zaradov was doing his level best to avoid exchanging blows with Lucic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote