Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #1261
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

We made some burgers ourselves one time, and had some left over bread dough so made our own buns as well. It’s amazing how much a really fresh bun can really add. Also, it’s nice to be able to size and shape the buns accordingly.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #1262
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think places like Naina’s had a bit of a following already even before BQ. I don’t believe BFTS was known at all for burgers.
I don't want to take credit for her success but when we first visited Naina's she was really struggling. Our review got her some badly needed attention that she parlayed into getting some momentum back.
We didn't turn around her business but we got her some exposure that she needed. When we went back a couple weeks later she said she had been slammed since our review and interview (we talked about her on CBC) dropped

Quote:
I don’t know though, I guess the review just rubbed me the wrong way. It’s kind of a Calgary institution and going there to review hamburgers that aren’t going to compare to remotely close to anything out there just seems to be following the trend of being negative because it’s more entertaining. If there was some huge word-of-mouth thing saying that you had to try the burgers and they came up short, then sure that’s fair game.
It is what it is. We like to review different places and I'm not sure why one would let them off the hook for what is bad food.
I think we tried to express what makes a place like the Blackfoot still unique and worth going to. But the food itself isn't good and could be easily improved if they wanted to.

Just wait until we review Peter's - another Calgary institution with bad burgers.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 12:37 PM   #1263
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can personally attest that Burger Quest was how I found about Naina's and as a person that lives in the NW I would have probably never ventured to their old address without the review and I then passed that on to friends and relatives who also frequented. They may have had a small local following but that location totally sucked and I would imagine that there's little doubt that BQ played a role in getting the word out to Calgarians that don't live or work in that area because there's no other reason to venture to their initial location.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 12:40 PM   #1264
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jiri I don't believe in your initial run you did South Street Burger. Any plans to go there? Opinions on them are mixed and I personally feel it's not the best but not too bad.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #1265
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s all fair and everything, but I don’t believe the first BQ was just hitting up random diners and restaurants hoping to make an amazing burger discovery. All of the restaurants were already known for the burgers or were burger places. It obviously helped Naina’s stay in business and thrive, I just think going to the BFTS expecting something that they’re not known for isn’t really doing anything. I can’t imagine anybody even recommended that it would be worthwhile going out of ones way to get a burger from there. I think it would be interesting to go and try places where you wouldn’t expect a good burger, but are getting praise from people who have tried them.

Anyway, I not trying to tell anybody how to do reviews. I do think it would be great to have a few restaurants reviewed that make me want to go out and have a burger.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:57 PM   #1266
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Jiri I don't believe in your initial run you did South Street Burger. Any plans to go there? Opinions on them are mixed and I personally feel it's not the best but not too bad.
Yeah we did review them. And we had them ranked middle of the road. We will probably get to them eventually but there's nothing really interesting about them. I think they had some first mover advantage as they were the first of the new wave of american chains to come to Calgary. They were in ahead of Smash and Five Guys, both which I would say are significantly better.

So I agree they aren't bad but not the best and over-priced for what you get.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:59 PM   #1267
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I don't want to take credit for her success but when we first visited Naina's she was really struggling. Our review got her some badly needed attention that she parlayed into getting some momentum back.
Whenever John Gilchrist does a review for CBC, that restaurant can expect to be lined-up for weeks.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #1268
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s all fair and everything, but I don’t believe the first BQ was just hitting up random diners and restaurants hoping to make an amazing burger discovery. All of the restaurants were already known for the burgers or were burger places. It obviously helped Naina’s stay in business and thrive, I just think going to the BFTS expecting something that they’re not known for isn’t really doing anything. I can’t imagine anybody even recommended that it would be worthwhile going out of ones way to get a burger from there. I think it would be interesting to go and try places where you wouldn’t expect a good burger, but are getting praise from people who have tried them.

Anyway, I not trying to tell anybody how to do reviews. I do think it would be great to have a few restaurants reviewed that make me want to go out and have a burger.
The objective with it, including the first time, was to have a real mix and range so we certainly hit up a lot of different places last time to. And that's part of what we want to do here - hit burger buses, high end places, dives, fast food joints - the entire gambit. The quest knows no boundaries. For instance the first time we went to Hooters knowing full well the burgers would suck but we'd have an interesting hook to write about.

We have a good one coming up next. We went there today it was really good.

Anyways I appreciate the feedback. What keeps this interesting for us is being able to review a range of places both in terms of quality but also type of place. Just writing solid reviews of good restaurant burgers gets boring fast.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 02:23 PM   #1269
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recall the original BQ hitting up a department store cafeteria.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #1270
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn’t think they existed anymore. Wasn’t that a dream?
Old 05-09-2018, 03:05 PM   #1271
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You can say a lot about the truck stop, but while their food is pretty ordinary, their pies and their shakes are awesome.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:07 PM   #1272
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
I've only eaten there a couple of times and I thought their burgers were ordinary at best.

But to be honest, if I'm going to go for a burger and it costs that much it'd better standout, whether its the flavoring of the meat, or a unique ingredient.

but it doesn't their burgers are so generic that you might as well go to Burger King.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #1273
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I recall the original BQ hitting up a department store cafeteria.
Zellers. That was a fun one to do.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #1274
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

It apppears that lot 102 on macleod has closed.

Went twice the first time was really pricey tried it again when the had a good deal.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:52 PM   #1275
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zellers? Wow, I didn’t realize the first BQ predated the whole Target debacle.

I wish there were some good burger places further north in the NW. Smashburger is the only place, and it’s not that spectacular.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:05 PM   #1276
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nobody goes to the Blackfoot for the food. You go for the late night rambling conversations about nothing, the unique and anachronistic ambiance, and the stories you can tell about the other patrons. The food is just an excuse to experience the above. Many a late night of my 20s was spent at the Blackfoot having some of the best conversations I can remember. I miss those days.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #1277
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Zellers? Wow, I didn’t realize the first BQ predated the whole Target debacle.

I wish there were some good burger places further north in the NW. Smashburger is the only place, and it’s not that spectacular.
Five Guys is there and IMO better than Smashburger:
Old 05-09-2018, 09:34 PM   #1278
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

There’s a South Street, Smashburger, Five Guys and Boardwalk all within about a 5 min drive in Royal Oak/Beacon Hill/Nolan Hill.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:47 AM   #1279
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Boardwalk any better now? The Heritage location didn’t really wow me with the burgers. Maybe it was still working out issues early on in their debut.

I was hoping there might be the hole in the wall type places that seem to be more prevalent in other parts of the city. Did the old Symons Valley market have anything? I miss having Wayne’s Bagels and P&S coffee so close. Hope it opens up again soon.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:09 AM   #1280
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a pretty big fan of Boogies. Has anyone been to their new Marda Loop location? Is it as good as the original for both burgers and shakes?
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post: