Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-12-2023, 01:53 PM   #761
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don’t see the problem…goalies are clearly the smartest and coolest kids on every team.

In my 25 plus years of playing goal and then 20 plus years of coaching it was not very common for kids that truly catch the goalie bug to then lose their passion right away, so the good news is he will probably stick with it for a while. I do really feel bad for goalie parents though; between the extra money and potential extra lessons/coaching and then the extra stress it is not an easy gig. I guess it could be worse…both my brother and I played goalie at high levels and are 16 years apart, so my parents had to go through it twice!

Our youngest is 3 and has started showing signs of being a goalie, so I feel your pain and may be right there with you in a few years.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 02:18 PM   #762
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
I don’t see the problem…goalies are clearly the smartest and coolest kids on every team.
You forgot the best looking as well.
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 03:38 PM   #763
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheevers View Post
You forgot the best looking as well.
Oh, I just figured that goes without saying.
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2023, 08:39 AM   #764
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
My kid chose to play Goalie in U11. The problem is that he is passionate about it. Practices all the time. Talks about it all the time and watches goalie videos instead of videos of adults playing kids games. He is also naturally very good at it.

Why is this a problem? Money and time commitments are coming. We told our kids that they have to show a sustained passion for something before we invest all the time and money into it. So many a miserable kid is being funded by parents that doesnt want to actually be doing this stuff.

We got off easy with my oldest. He liked the sport but did not really like camps and really just enjoyed playing and being at the rink with friends.

To be honest though. It is great to see our son latch onto something so passionately.
Look for used goalie gear as much as possible. There's always a kid growing out of theirs and looking to unload.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 08:18 PM   #765
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well, after much thought on her part, our 5 year old daughter has decided to play hockey this year. Our community has a really awesome outdoor league, so it will be one practice and one game per week, which I think is a perfect introduction to the sport. Question for all you hockey parents…how is the quality for the “protective gear” kits from Canadian Tire? She doesn’t need anything fancy, but I am thinking she may be hard to find used gear for as she is quite petite.
Old 09-27-2023, 06:21 AM   #766
BowRiverBruinsRule
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
Well, after much thought on her part, our 5 year old daughter has decided to play hockey this year. Our community has a really awesome outdoor league, so it will be one practice and one game per week, which I think is a perfect introduction to the sport. Question for all you hockey parents…how is the quality for the “protective gear” kits from Canadian Tire? She doesn’t need anything fancy, but I am thinking she may be hard to find used gear for as she is quite petite.
These starter kits are a great option. They protect as they should. I found the biggest protection needed is from falling down. These kits are usually for one year as kids grow - kids grow fast. Hope your daughter has a blast.
BowRiverBruinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BowRiverBruinsRule For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2023, 10:15 AM   #767
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

A few months back I posted about all of the religious tie ins that come along with youth hockey in Tulsa. Now for this holiday season, they are doing a fundraiser by raffling off an AR-15... Somehow youth hockey has become the most redneck thing I have been involved with since living in the south.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 11:10 AM   #768
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
A few months back I posted about all of the religious tie ins that come along with youth hockey in Tulsa. Now for this holiday season, they are doing a fundraiser by raffling off an AR-15... Somehow youth hockey has become the most redneck thing I have been involved with since living in the south.
This is absolutely hilarious and scary at the same time. Mixing crazy hockey parents with crazy religion with crazy gun culture. What could possibly go wrong?!
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote