Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 04:45 PM   #1061
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Does Ken King work for the Oilers in secret?
Old 09-15-2017, 04:48 PM   #1062
FlameFan21
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
lol build a wall around the city and don't let anyone come spend money here! That will teach them
And make them pay for it.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:51 PM   #1063
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

A few random theories:

1. The Flames want the Edmonton deal on the arena, but more importantly they also want to develop the area around it. It's pulled out from under them with the CalgaryNEXT proposal and there's no opportunity for it in this concept with the East Village and CMLC.

2. This is probably giving them CSEC too much credit, but maybe they're just biding their time until the Olympic bid. There's bound to be additional funding from the other levels of government that would get thrown towards a new arena and redevelopment of the area (e.g. Athletes Village then in turn condos). There's no way they would demolish the Saddledome if we won the bid.

3. I wouldn't be surprised if Nenshi turns his new recently released area concept into a component of an Olympic bid. He looks like a champ if it happens.

4. The arena thing has stagnated for several years and it's always been one of King's responsibilities. He has never come off looking prepared, cohesive, or even done a good job of giving their perspective in public, let alone in private for all we know. Perhaps the owners have realized he's a roadblock to getting it done and they're ready to throw someone else on the project. I can hardly wait to see how he presents their proposal.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:51 PM   #1064
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
As much as we love the Flames they're not the greatest organizationally.

Pre-game ceremonies are often bad
They're not spectacular, but I wouldn't call them bad. I'll take 'meh' over bad any day.

Because this is what bad is:

The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 04:56 PM   #1065
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just listened to Nenshi's statements - the arena issue is going to giftwrap him this election. Nothing he said was unreasonable. There is room to get a deal done. Council sets the mandate, and council is not having any of this bull#### from CSEC.

He pointed out the Edmonton deal took ten years to get done. Same for Seattle.

Nenshi's good at this stuff. When the worst things about your mayor are his taste in public art (debatable) and his willingness to tell billionaires to suck a chode, I think that mayor's gonna win re-election.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:03 PM   #1066
takinghits
Draft Pick

Its better for all these details to say behind Boardrooms.

The public is not gonna wanna spend money which is why the mayor/council represent them to find the best deal. No clue why Flames wanted to battle Neshi on this.

Flames #####ed it all up.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:07 PM   #1067
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Ken King, press conference today:

"This is no money grab. If it was we'd be long gone."

That's one of many awful statements that were presented with his fake smile.

Goodbye Kinger, and take the Flames with you if you'd like.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:10 PM   #1068
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is like being on 4th Down with 10 to go, deciding to try for the hail mary touchdown, and throwing an 85-yard interception that gets taken all the way back to your own end zone. And then everyone is so depressed they just let the 2 pt conversion happen.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:15 PM   #1069
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Flames aren't managing this process well, no doubt. However there are certainly issues with the City's proposal, and it certainly is not their final and best offer. You can see where they used this to try to reset CSEC's expectations, but still left room to move to a final agreement.

Dropping property taxes (as they do in the Dome), and eliminating some of the items that the city is including as part of their contribution (Saddledome demolition and infrastructure improvements), and most people can see where this will likely land.

I understand the Flames trying to get closer to the Edmonton deal, and it is the most comparable situation, but eventually they'll have to accept that it just won't get that good (or bad).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 05:26 PM   #1070
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
The Flames aren't managing this process well, no doubt. However there are certainly issues with the City's proposal, and it certainly is not their final and best offer. You can see where they used this to try to reset CSEC's expectations, but still left room to move to a final agreement.

Dropping property taxes (as they do in the Dome), and eliminating some of the items that the city is including as part of their contribution (Saddledome demolition and infrastructure improvements), and most people can see where this will likely land.

I understand the Flames trying to get closer to the Edmonton deal, and it is the most comparable situation, but eventually they'll have to accept that it just won't get that good (or bad).
CSEC isn't getting the city to put in $180 million without getting something back. Property taxes are all they get out of it in this proposal (and sudsidized at that). They aren't going to get out of property taxes without replacing it with something else about the same value.

As Nenshi said in his conference, it's either CSEC owns the building, and pays property tax (like everyone else), or the city owns the building, and CSEC pays rent (all other things being the same). It really doesn't matter too much to the city. There is negotiating room in the exact structure of a deal, but in terms of dollar values going in and out, the city has given very close to their best offer.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:31 PM   #1071
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am so grateful that I missed this presser.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:31 PM   #1072
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Just listened to Nenshi's statements - the arena issue is going to giftwrap him this election. Nothing he said was unreasonable. There is room to get a deal done. Council sets the mandate, and council is not having any of this bull#### from CSEC.

He pointed out the Edmonton deal took ten years to get done. Same for Seattle.

Nenshi's good at this stuff. When the worst things about your mayor are his taste in public art (debatable) and his willingness to tell billionaires to suck a chode, I think that mayor's gonna win re-election.
Agreed I listened and thought that myself, he's so slick with all the angles and emphasizing its not him, its we, regarding the council.
Also agreed that far from getting him booted the Flames have probably just given him even more election security.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:34 PM   #1073
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This is a tough presser to watch.

Ken King and the CESC look worse by the hour.

This is a real mis-step.

Bumbling and indignant and selfish and arrogant.

I can't believe they are trying to manipulate an election... except that I understand that manipulating the election would save them hundreds of millions of dollars.

Sad day for Calgary, all around. Be thankful mayor and council cares about tax-payers and isn't willing to be bullied by these "megalomaniacs". A word I think better describes the delusional bililionaire ownership, not the mayor who is acting on behalf of the city and not his own self-interests.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:42 PM   #1074
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Eric Francis is no good
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 05:45 PM   #1075
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What's with King pausing and smiling in the middle of every point he makes? Is that supposed to make people sympathize more with the crap he says? Seems especially ill timed prior to making a condescending remark toward the other side.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:47 PM   #1076
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
Eric Francis is no good
The Flames have him wrapped around their pinky, nestled in their pocket.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 05:54 PM   #1077
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
The Flames have him wrapped around their pinky, nestled in their pocket.
"I defy anyone to name me one thing Calgarians have to be more proud of than the flames" is probably the most egregious thing he has ever said to be honest, and he has said a lot of stupid things(every time he opens his mouth)
Old 09-15-2017, 05:54 PM   #1078
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynwa03 View Post
Just out of curiosity, do people living in Springbank pay property tax to the City of Calgary?
I do. Just not on my residence.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 05:57 PM   #1079
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
"I defy anyone to name me one thing Calgarians have to be more proud of than the flames" is probably the most egregious thing he has ever said to be honest, and he has said a lot of stupid things(every time he opens his mouth)
That was said? Disgusting.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:59 PM   #1080
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
The anthem still has an organ
yeah I am ok with that.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post