Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2020, 11:10 PM   #21
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just get a new insurer and tell them circa 2012 for age of roof.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 04:13 PM   #22
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

So we were looking to get our roof done around September or so, but a guy from Advanced Level Roofing knocked on our door and asked if we wanted a free estimate since he was working on one of our neighbors. Ended up coming back a couple of days later with a quote of 10K for IKO Cambridge shingles with a 15 year manufacturer defect warranty 40 year sliding lifetime warranty. His sales pitch for IKO was pretty good, though I know nothing about roofing. Anyone have experience with that company and/or IKO shingles? Their online reviews are very good, but I know you can't put that much stock into them
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 04:49 PM   #23
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We put 25 year shingles from them on almost 16 years ago. Still look pretty much brand new, if that helps.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk
keratosis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 06:16 PM   #24
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
So out house is now 15 yrs old and the shingles are looking ratty, lots of crap in the evestrough and last night I noticed water leaking down the wall of my garage, hard to tell exactly where it was coming from.

My house is a typical 1800 sq ft place in new Brighton. Priced out shingles before and was quoted something like $9,000 ish for the typical 25 yr ones, about $12,000 for the 50 year.

Anyone on here look into rubber or metal roofing? I am thinking likely somewhere around $15,000 a but that is a wild ass guess based on the prices above.

Looking to hear insights, thoughts, experiences or if you have recommendations on who to contact or stay away from,
I went with Euroshield rubber shingles. You can get them in two grades. I went with the higher grade, rated for 50 years. I got a very nice deduction on my insurance as well because they hold up to hail.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:42 PM   #25
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Cambridge shingles from IKO are your best bang for the buck. You can't go wrong there.
For my money though I'd consider dropping an extra $3 or $4 per bundle to get the Dynasty product. Cambridge is good but Dynasty is more robust and has higher wind resistance. Both made by IKO.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 07:55 PM   #26
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

When it comes to roofs, product is important but contractor is just as important. Some companies subcontract the work out and have harder time with quality control. Explicitly ask them if they do this. Clean up is usually the standard blah blah but make sure they grab all the nails from your yard and eaves with a magnetic rake.

I have a company that I used that did a piss poor job cleaning up and wasn't happy. Couldn't recommend going with them (A sonic roofing).
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BagoPucks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 09:33 PM   #27
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

If the roofer is not that busy, that may be a red flag. A lot of the better ones are still fairly busy since the start of Spring. Doesn't mean they are bad, but do your due diligence.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:16 PM   #28
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:
lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagoPucks View Post
When it comes to roofs, product is important but contractor is just as important. Some companies subcontract the work out and have harder time with quality control. Explicitly ask them if they do this. Clean up is usually the standard blah blah but make sure they grab all the nails from your yard and eaves with a magnetic rake.

I have a company that I used that did a piss poor job cleaning up and wasn't happy. Couldn't recommend going with them (A sonic roofing).
The estimator went into detail with their cleanup methods and specifically stated they do magnetic raking. He also said the only subcontracting they use is for material delivery, actual installation is all in-house. I'm getting another estimate done from Epic roofing just so I have something to compare with, but just from my conversation with the guy Advanced seems like a decent outfit
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:35 PM   #29
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
I went with Euroshield rubber shingles. You can get them in two grades. I went with the higher grade, rated for 50 years. I got a very nice deduction on my insurance as well because they hold up to hail.
How much more were they?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:28 AM   #30
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
How much more were they?
Was 2 years ago, I think about 25 to 30% more? But I went with the heavier grade and the cedar shake look.

They have all types of finishes and at least 2 grades for each finish so it varies.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post: