Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-04-2016, 08:22 AM   #21
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Ill give you $XXX Cash, today!"

As if I would take any other sort of payment from someone on Kijiji.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2016, 08:54 AM   #22
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Kijiji, especially when just trying to get rid of stuff. It's amazing the type of thing people will pick up for free.

I had a 36" tube TV that had to weigh 300+lbs. It took two grown men to lift it and that was a struggle. It was in my basement and barely fit up the staircase. Put an add up that said it was free. Bring a friend to help you. Someone picked it up within 30 min.

Almost every piece of furniture in my house is free whether from my parents' old stuff or Kijiji.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:07 AM   #23
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

People who get pissed off about lowball offers can EAD.

If you put OBO in your price, be prepared for it. If you don't want a lowball offer, put that in the ad.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:10 AM   #24
FlamingHomer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
People take out loans on bikes?
I bought a canoe from a dealer that was repossessed.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:16 AM   #25
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Love Kijiji. Like others, hate the Kijiji strugglers, especially the ones who can't be bothered to turn their pictures right side up. The fricking site will do it for you! That and people who take terrible pictures of what they're trying to sell. You want me to buy your stuff, so make it appealing to me and easy to do so.

As far as selling, I don't use my cell phone as I don't want a million and half people calling me night and day. I use email up until we have an agreement to do business and then I give them my cell and address for pick-up. I have a dedicated e-mail I use for Kijiji and check it often when I'm selling things.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #26
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Appreciate the post by "4x4" but for security reasons i would not recommend putting your exact location in the add, particularly if its an expensive item. My recommendation is to put in an address of a public location(eg, Market Mall) near your place.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #27
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
People who get pissed off about lowball offers can EAD.

If you put OBO in your price, be prepared for it. If you don't want a lowball offer, put that in the ad.
Reasonable offers, yes. But not "I'll give you 50% CASH! and you deliver it across the city and unload it for me".
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2016, 09:34 AM   #28
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Awesome thread. You see all types in Kijiji, that is for sure. If you want to find a good home to an old couch/futon/furniture, listing it for free will get it done, almost immediately. Met the nicest people just trying to set up their place. I am sure some are looking to resell, but why should I care (so long as they are picking up. Anyone looking for delivery should get bent).
Not much into buying, but my wife has an unhealthy addiction to scouring Kijiji for used crap, mostly kid stuff. Great way to pick up something that is "almost" new.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #29
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have bought a fair bit of audio equipment on Kijiji. I'm amazed how little information people put in their ads, not to mention the pictures they put in showing their sale items covered in dust. Would it kill these people to do a rudimentary dusting of the items they wish to sell before taking a picture?
I also laugh at people trying to sell White Van speakers and other fake audio crap (Paradyme, Olin Ross, DaVinci, Grafdale, PSD etc). I laugh when they show the original box with the MSRP right on it, which automatically means it's scam garbage. Sorry you got ripped off buddy, but I'm not buying your mistake.
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #30
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Love Kijiji. If I had an online dating profile, I'd seriously put "browsing on Kijiji" as a hobby of mine.

Never really sold anything of high value on there except for the wife's Toyota Yaris. So many tire kickers since the car was at a fairly low price point. I loved the guys who made offers on it without even coming to look or test drive. Eventually got it sold to someone off there though.

I usually check Kijiji before even heading to the mall or checking other online retailers. Ive gotten so many good deals off Kijiji, mostly sporting goods.

My best purchase off Kijiji was a BNIB OEM trailer hitch for my Toyota Highlander. Paid $150 and installed it with my brother. Dealership wanted $1000 installed.

If I get multiple responses, I only respond to inquiries with proper grammar as people have already mentioned.

My wife and I sometimes post "Free" ads just for fun and leave the item outside and place bets on how long till its gone. I'm shocked at what junk people come pickup.

Last edited by dubc80; 04-04-2016 at 09:39 AM.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:36 AM   #31
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Awesome thread. You see all types in Kijiji, that is for sure. If you want to find a good home to an old couch/futon/furniture, listing it for free will get it done, almost immediately. Met the nicest people just trying to set up their place. I am sure some are looking to resell, but why should I care (so long as they are picking up. Anyone looking for delivery should get bent).
Not much into buying, but my wife has an unhealthy addiction to scouring Kijiji for used crap, mostly kid stuff. Great way to pick up something that is "almost" new.
Kid stuff is the best to get off Kijiji.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:43 AM   #32
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 04-04-2016 at 09:44 AM. Reason: remove item
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #33
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

so when you email through kijiji, both buyer and seller email addresses are concealed...I don't think it was like that when I first joined a few years ago. nowadays, when someone inquires about something I'm selling (e.g. is this item still available?), when I say yes it's still for sale, probably 85% of the time I get no reply back after that. I realize that there's probably a lot of people just sending out feelers and then going with some other option, but it seemed like the response rate was way better when the system used real email addresses.

I wonder if those kijiji-generated masked emails are often ending up in people's junk folders?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:52 AM   #34
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone used the IM option on the Kijiji App?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:56 AM   #35
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Has anyone used the IM option on the Kijiji App?
Oh baby have I ever. You down?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2016, 10:25 AM   #36
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
so when you email through kijiji, both buyer and seller email addresses are concealed...I don't think it was like that when I first joined a few years ago. nowadays, when someone inquires about something I'm selling (e.g. is this item still available?), when I say yes it's still for sale, probably 85% of the time I get no reply back after that. I realize that there's probably a lot of people just sending out feelers and then going with some other option, but it seemed like the response rate was way better when the system used real email addresses.

I wonder if those kijiji-generated masked emails are often ending up in people's junk folders?
I usually end up sending a few messages out if there's multiple listings for an item I want. I don't respond again to say I'm no longer interested normally...sorry!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:27 AM   #37
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

So where the heck are you guys finding all of these good deals?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:28 AM   #38
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Alot of good notes in this thread.

If you want your item sold the number one thing to do is price it to sell. Dont knock $50 off your $500 3 year old item. No one will buy it for that.

Price it to sell, then wait, keep re-posting the add or changing the amount slightly and it will sell if its priced well.

I price items at the value I would be willing to drive somewhere to pick up and pay cash for.

The worst as a seller is when you have posted honest pictures and description and negotiated a price and the guy or gal comes and tries to lowball you on site.

I have had that happen 3 times, twice it was at a neutral location and I just told the guy, this is the price, I told you all the flaws/defects etc and sent you pictures via the phone in case you thought they were old pictures. Take it or leave it, I dont need your $150 that bad to be fkd like I am in prison.

The other time a woman came to my house to buy a used central vac hose and brush etc. She knew the model, age, and pictures and wanted 1/2 of what we originally agreed on which wasnt the list price. I told her no and closed the garage door. She knocked on the door and upped her price to 3/4 of what we agreed on and I ranted on her for a while until she left.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:31 AM   #39
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

When I sell something on Kijiji I always just price it low. I would rather get $40 less and have it gone that day than have to deal with strangers coming to my house to 'kick tires'.

Great deal for them, great deal for me, everyone wins. One tip I will add is that if you have something that you think falls in the wedding category, get on their apps as well, I forget what it is called but my wife used it as a wedding exchange we got rid of so much stuff on there, and like instantly, no haggling just all agreed upon price and it was gone. Lots of stuff you wouldn't think is useful for a wedding apparently is.. and as Kevin O'Leary says people are always blind to spending for Weddings and Funerals.

The best was trying to rent our basement suite on Kijiji, the amount of "are yuo firm on thaj prize" emails we got in that exact format give or take a few different spelling mistakes was mind boggling.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 04-04-2016 at 10:34 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2016, 10:33 AM   #40
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually like items for sale that have no pictures and terrible adds especially for cars.

No one responds to those adds. So you start with adds that are 2 weeks old without pictures and ask for details and low ball away. These are people who just want their car gone because they have put so little effort into selling it. Usually they will send you pictures if you ask.

Of the 3 cars I have bought of Kijiji none have had pictures. Great prices.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: