Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2020, 09:16 AM   #81
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

At our previous place, we had voles for at least five years running. We backed onto a big wetland area and with tons of trees. All the homes have chain-link fences. Basically, if they went into one yard they'd go through them all. In one spring, a neighbour two doors down replaced his entire lawn. They still came back the next year. Heck, I actually killed one with my weed wacker one time. I've seen then running through the rock garden, and even found them in the middle of my lawn in the summer of the grass was too long and thick.

After trying to trap and kill them I found it was impossible to stop them from returning. In the spring, I'd just cut the lawn short, rake it as much as I could then fertilize. Lawn is pretty amazing, and usually new growth would cover up the tracks in 2-3 weeks.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:21 AM   #82
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
At our previous place, we had voles for at least five years running. We backed onto a big wetland area and with tons of trees. All the homes have chain-link fences. Basically, if they went into one yard they'd go through them all. In one spring, a neighbour two doors down replaced his entire lawn. They still came back the next year. Heck, I actually killed one with my weed wacker one time. I've seen then running through the rock garden, and even found them in the middle of my lawn in the summer of the grass was too long and thick.

After trying to trap and kill them I found it was impossible to stop them from returning. In the spring, I'd just cut the lawn short, rake it as much as I could then fertilize. Lawn is pretty amazing, and usually new growth would cover up the tracks in 2-3 weeks.

Yea this is basically the case. Once you get them you'll have them forever.

In our previous house we had them most years so we just had traps out all the time, all year round. When they were bad over the winter we'd catch several as soon as we started putting traps out and then the odd one every couple weeks.

Then as soon as you stop with the traps (thinking they're all gone) they show up again and decimate your lawn next winter.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:22 AM   #83
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe they'll just leave on their their vole-ition.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2020, 12:36 PM   #84
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Have you considered badgers?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 03:25 PM   #85
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, but honey badger don’t care.
Old 04-24-2020, 04:44 PM   #86
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just caught another today, after starting off with 2 to start the Spring, when I thought they were gone. I have a ground deck, so not at all surprising they are there still. It's directly adjacent to my grass though, and I will lose my s$$t if I see tracks in my grass again like last Spring before I got them under control with multiple traps and poison. Last year I caught 13 voles, and 5 mice. I was beyond pissed.

I'm going to bust out the anti-freeze this weekend. F$%# them.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:16 PM   #87
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poison bait in place, hoping for a week full of vole carnage
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:59 PM   #88
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Poison bait in place, hoping for a week full of vole carnage

A week ago I raked out all our deadgrass, built-up leaves, and crap under and around all our front yard junipers. Lots of vole damage this year. At least one tribe there and another in the back yard. Put out 2 poison traps last Tuesday but haven't spotted any cadavers yet. Will give em another couple days and then move the trojan horse to the back tribes breeding grounds. Last year this poison seemed to substantially work.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:22 PM   #89
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only issue with poisoning them is if you don't find the bodies and another animal eats the carcass they can get sick or die.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2020, 03:46 PM   #90
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
The only issue with poisoning them is if you don't find the bodies and another animal eats the carcass they can get sick or die.
I'm supposed to fill in the vole dens with dirt in a bit so they decompose and stay underground.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
voles posion kill good