Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2020, 06:30 PM   #21
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Q View Post
Do you remember when they tested air raid sirens in the city? Sirens that only meant one thing - nuclear holocaust - and they never warned you when they would be tested. To this day I can't hear that sound without getting a chill of terror down my spine.
Its weird, growing up in the UK in the 60's and 70's I and my friends just assumed our death would be due to a nuclear war, it wasn't even really a question, the UK is just one big US airbase and we would all be fried in the first 4 or 5 minutes. it was comforting in a way, no post apocalyptic wasteland of mutant cannibals and starvation for us, we'd just be dead.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 06:48 PM   #22
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being at the tail end of Gen X I don’t think anything life altering has happened until now. I missed Cuban missile Crisis, too young to really remember the fall of the Berlin Wall or what that meant, aids was understood, no wars unless you volunteered. A pretty soft mushy life.

9/11 would be the only I remember where I was negative event. Maybe a little off topic but reading this thread at the time we are in right now really made me reflect for a second.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:53 PM   #23
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Q View Post
Do you remember when they tested air raid sirens in the city? Sirens that only meant one thing - nuclear holocaust - and they never warned you when they would be tested. To this day I can't hear that sound without getting a chill of terror down my spine.

I remember growing up in small town Canada and we had to do nuclear war tests where the principle would jump on the loudspeaker of the school and yell "Flash" and we'd all have to look away from the windows and dive under out desks.

Later when I studied the effects of a nuclear bomb on a population center I realized how worthless it would be. I wasn't alive during the missile crisis, but I interviewed my parents and Grandparents and some of my parents friends so I could write a paper in highschool

The key word was that people were on edge and terrified, they thought this was the start of a nuclear war, and the world could end with next to no notice.

Its also fascinating that period in Canadian history isn't discussed that much but there was a very large split between the government and the Canadian Forces leadership and DND and a almost revolt by the Armed Forces. It caused a massive rift in Canada US relations and can directly be linked to Diefenbakers defeat in the next election.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 06:56 PM   #24
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

When Ben Affleck and Bruce Willis saved earth from that mother of a meteor.

For the win.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:03 PM   #25
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I was 4 years old at the time and can still remember the speech JFK gave to the world. At the same time I was too to grasp the seriousness of the crisis.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:07 PM   #26
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Being at the tail end of Gen X I don’t think anything life altering has happened until now. I missed Cuban missile Crisis, too young to really remember the fall of the Berlin Wall or what that meant, aids was understood, no wars unless you volunteered. A pretty soft mushy life.

9/11 would be the only I remember where I was negative event. Maybe a little off topic but reading this thread at the time we are in right now really made me reflect for a second.
I think it's because weapons have become so much more sophisticated that they are hard for many people to understand and many can think they don't even exist as a real problem. It's not as simple as a big explosion killing millions at once.

I remember when the Cambridge Analytica stuff was brought to light. This confirmation of weaponization of our data to manipulate and undermine democratic processes, I thought "this is a nuke. We need to take a step back and consider how we are using this thing we've created called the internet." And it's kind of just been brushed over.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:27 PM   #27
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I remember growing up in small town Canada and we had to do nuclear war tests where the principle would jump on the loudspeaker of the school and yell "Flash" and we'd all have to look away from the windows and dive under out desks.

Later when I studied the effects of a nuclear bomb on a population center I realized how worthless it would be. I wasn't alive during the missile crisis, but I interviewed my parents and Grandparents and some of my parents friends so I could write a paper in highschool

The key word was that people were on edge and terrified, they thought this was the start of a nuclear war, and the world could end with next to no notice.

Its also fascinating that period in Canadian history isn't discussed that much but there was a very large split between the government and the Canadian Forces leadership and DND and a almost revolt by the Armed Forces. It caused a massive rift in Canada US relations and can directly be linked to Diefenbakers defeat in the next election.
Yes we didn't bother with drills in the UK, what was the point? the country would be a green glowing brick within the first half an hour and everyone knew it, of course the TV shows didn't help

afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:28 PM   #28
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I think it's because weapons have become so much more sophisticated that they are hard for many people to understand and many can think they don't even exist as a real problem. It's not as simple as a big explosion killing millions at once.

I remember when the Cambridge Analytica stuff was brought to light. This confirmation of weaponization of our data to manipulate and undermine democratic processes, I thought "this is a nuke. We need to take a step back and consider how we are using this thing we've created called the internet." And it's kind of just been brushed over.
Except that the Cambridge analytics data didn’t work as a means to manipulate people. The micro targeting failed to do better. The Russian bots sowing misinformation was far more effective at giving people there own choice of truth. There was a really good article by the guy who did the research on the Facebook data originally before it was “weaponized” saying it didn’t work or at least was dwarfed by other factors.

I’ll see if I can find it again.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:38 PM   #29
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Luekemia in children. 50 years ago this was close to a guaranteed death sentence. Now it has close to a 90% survival rate.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:44 PM   #30
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Yes we didn't bother with drills in the UK, what was the point? the country would be a green glowing brick within the first half an hour and everyone knew it, of course the TV shows didn't help

People really need to watch this because this movie was actually a large piece of history

The Day After was released at the height of cold war paranoia in 1983. Its a terrifying look at nuclear war and the aftermath of an all out nuclear war between the US and Russia. Though the effects are dated obviously. This movie was brilliant and terrifying and sobering.

It also directly effected US Foreign policy as Reagan linked this movie directly to his changed Nuclear weapons policy and the signing of the Intermediate Range Missile reduction treaty.

The whole of this movie terrified a young 16 year old CaptainCrunch, and it was the first movie that I ever remember our family watching completely silently, especially the end with the casualties waiting to die from Radiation sickness.
It also fades out with one of the characters calling out on his radio "Hello is anyone out there" and nobody answers.

I remember reading that people were traumatized after watching this movie

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 08:13 PM   #31
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post

Remember the Panama Papers, and all the rich were going to get their comeuppance? Ya, I 'member.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote