Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2020, 01:56 PM   #41
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for all the responses. The best was a motion activated sprinkler. There are a lot of good ideas in this thread. I’ll start with the extra watering since it’s the simplest, quick and worth a try. If not, i’ll move on to rocks or shrubs and hope those don’t get pee’d on.

It may be partially city property. It’s the first few feet from the city sidewalk towards the house. It’s technically my property but the city has full ownership or some weird thing like that. When money or labor has to be put into it’s upkeep the city says it’s mine. If the city needs to dig it up it’s theirs. You know how it is.

Thanks again for all the ideas.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:31 PM   #42
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Thanks for all the responses. The best was a motion activated sprinkler. There are a lot of good ideas in this thread. I’ll start with the extra watering since it’s the simplest, quick and worth a try. If not, i’ll move on to rocks or shrubs and hope those don’t get pee’d on.

It may be partially city property. It’s the first few feet from the city sidewalk towards the house. It’s technically my property but the city has full ownership or some weird thing like that. When money or labor has to be put into it’s upkeep the city says it’s mine. If the city needs to dig it up it’s theirs. You know how it is.

Thanks again for all the ideas.

For years we've had friggin dogs p*ssing on our last plant at the bottom of the driveway. Usually replace it every 3-4 years as they suffer a terrible slow agonizing death before perishing in some weird mishapen warped scoliosis-like semblance of a stunted excuse for a plant. Seriously. When I see owners I ask them not to and there's almost always some lame excuse... my dogs pee is sterile, it's a he not a she, oh it's only a little bit, but I saw another dog, but but but BUGGER OFF!! I've watered more frequently, I shovel all the driveway snow there, I've tried the various "Smelly" spices and rodent-be-gone magic potions powders flakes and sprays. Nothing seems to permanently deter the dogs (and their nefarious owners). About the best DELAY of the inevitable was putting up a couple cheap dollar store fences but even those got trampled and smashed and perished. Not to mention they were a pain with the lawnmower and especially weed wacker. Now I just want to put an 80 pound rock there and have it engraved with "Pissing Stone".

not sure I feel any better. maybe a little.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 04:41 AM   #43
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Step 1. Remove grass
Step 2. Plant prickly/thorny stuff there - densely.
Step 3. ???
Step 4. Profit!
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:11 AM   #44
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:42 AM   #45
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stand in the middle of the sidewalk and whenever anyone gets close, remind them to social distance.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 12:34 PM   #46
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd go with the extra watering and forego planting anything. I'd personally hate to spend the money to plant a shrub only to have the city come and rip it out for maintenance on the light standard
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:53 PM   #47
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Bylaws related to dogs

https://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Page...opic/Dogs.aspx
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:51 PM   #48
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go classy, pave your lawn.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:15 PM   #49
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
If you stop a dog from peeing on the grass, you also have to stop it from sniffing the grass. Because once they sniff, they often have to let other dogs know they were there. And how is that done...by peeing. That's just the way dog's are made. Can you imagine trying to stop a lab from sniffing.

We have a large lilac bush, which was planted by the city, adjacent to the sidewalk in front of our house. Almost every dog stops there to sniff and most pee. That lilac is the most well fertilized plant in Calgary.

My suggestion would be to plant a small bush, near the sidewalk, which will act as a main attraction for dogs, leaving the rest of your lawn undamaged. You should also get your dog to pee on it to start the process.
I have a lab. It ain't happening. Once he decides he needs to sniff something or pee on something. Don't try to avoid it. He digs in and he ain't moving. If he lifts his leg to mark territory I can pull him off balance, but if he just has to relieve himself he digs in hard and is solidly in place.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote