Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-10-2019, 03:07 PM   #1
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Danny Green Sees East Van for First Time (Vancouver is No Good)

Danny Green and some friends were in Vancouver for a youth basketball camp they've been doing across Canada, but it looks like Green and his friends were abruptly welcomed to East Vancouver before the camp even got started.

Quote:
Green said while he stayed at a hotel, some of his acquaintances, who were unfamiliar with the city, booked an Airbnb that turned out to be a couple blocks off East Hastings Street.
"We didn't know there was like a ghetto or hood in Vancouver," Green said on the#Yahoo! Sports podcast.
Quote:
The forward, who had just helped the Raptors earn their first championship title, said his colleagues called him after checking into the unit and said they needed to find a new place to stay.
Quote:
"They're like, 'Yo, we gotta change it. It's old, it's raggedy, it feels haunted.' And we're like all right, we gotta check this Airbnb out," said Green, who also.

After touring the short-term rental for about 10 minutes, Green said they walked outside to discover their car had been broken into and two bags were gone from the backseat.
Quote:
The group decided to look around the neighbourhood to see if they could recover the bags, and ended up on East Hastings, where they received a quick education about some of the poverty and substance abuse issues faced by many Vancouver residents.
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/we-didn-t-know...uver-1.4502485
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 04:35 PM   #2
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Green's had some interesting experiences. Did anyone hear his podcast after winning the championship? He apparently met the Tangerine CEO and he said she asked him if he was wearing a wig. He was apparently talking about how she didn't understand black people's hair and seemed turned off by it. Mysteriously, the podcast has since been edited. Makes me wonder how someone in that position can be so stupid to say that, and how much it made him think, "are all Canadians this ignorant?"
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #3
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Makes me wonder how someone in that position can be so stupid to say that, and how much it made him think, "are all Canadians this ignorant?"
People in high places aren't always brilliant leaders and decent people. In fact, most of them are not; just average Joes like everyone else. However, the media loves to glorify CEO's, business owners, politicians, athletes and people like these all day long. They're as bone-headed as anyone else and should be treated as such.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:57 PM   #4
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 05:11 PM   #5
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is he the one Chappelle had that joke about Airbnb logging off automatically if you typed his name into it? Thought that was something Green, someone I'd never heard of
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:37 PM   #6
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Danny Green.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 05:48 PM   #7
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

he's getting 10 mill a year and he books an air bnb in the DTES!!??!!

he needs to fire his assistant for that, hell he could have called the Canucks and asked for some house renting advice and they would have happily helped.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 06:05 PM   #8
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post

he needs to fire his assistant for that, hell he could have called the Canucks and asked for some house renting advice and they would have happily helped.
Nah, I feel the opposite, he's a complete breath of fresh air as far as rich athletes go. I could just as easily counter your negative look on him with

"Rich American plays last game in Canada, could just go back home and party and beef on social media like all his buddies, but instead loves the passion across Canada so much that he sets up impromptu cross country tour to promote basketball to underprivileged kids and doesn't go for the prissy star treatment instead embarking on his own schedule and booking like a regular guy".

See how that works?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 06:12 PM   #9
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post

Article says he was in a hotel, friends of his his rented the BNB.

It’s not that all that far off the beaten path of downtown to those unfamiliar, just like the Tenderloin area of SF (though a bit different in feel, it’s more gritty and crime-y) is a couple turns the unintended way out the touristy market area. And Airbnb pictures are going to be on the new laminate and vaulted ceilings inside, not the syringes and people looking for anything of value to get thier next hit by bartering.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:14 PM   #10
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Port cities in general tend to have this issue due to being a hot spot for drug imports. Add to that, Vancouver has the most bearable winter climate out of any large Canadian cities, it will obviously attract more than its fair share of transient people from all over the country.

It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

In all honesty, as someone who lived in Vancouver for years and just moved back in April, I feel safer walking through East Hastings at night than I do in some of the bro-town suburbs like Surrey or Maple Ridge where violent crime levels are higher.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 07-10-2019 at 06:18 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 06:15 PM   #11
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

I've visited to and lived in many cities across the world.

Vancouver is the only one where I felt legitimately unsafe.

I stayed at St Clair Hotel-Hostel...I know not a great place but it had good reviews and I was a solo traveller.

I was coming from China so my sleeping was all messed up and at around 5 am I went out to get a coffee. There was a guy shooting up right outside the door. I've never seen that in my life.

Then walking around there are too many people who are really messed up on drugs. You don't know what they are going to do because there's a group of them and they are all completely out of it.

That's why I don't understand how Vancouver is ranked as such a great city. With such a huge pocket like that it comes across as a ####hole to me.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:24 PM   #12
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post

That's why I don't understand how Vancouver is ranked as such a great city. With such a huge pocket like that it comes across as a ####hole to me.
It's actually such a small area, but the population density is high and it is in a very visible area (close to touristy areas). One minute, it's nice. The next minute you take a wrong turn and you're in the 7th ring of Hell in Dante's Inferno.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #13
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Port cities in general tend to have this issue due to being a hot spot for drug imports. Add to that, Vancouver has the most bearable winter climate out of any large Canadian cities, it will obviously attract more than its fair share of transient people from all over the country.

It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

In all honesty, as someone who lived in Vancouver for years and just moved back in April, I feel safer walking through East Hastings at night than I do in some of the bro-town suburbs like Surrey or Maple Ridge where violent crime levels are higher.
Small British Columbian cities are some of the most violent, scary places I've encountered in Canada. It's weird.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:30 PM   #14
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Small British Columbian cities are some of the most violent, scary places I've encountered in Canada. It's weird.
Yeah, I lived in Prince George and spent a lot of time in towns around there, and I would rather walk down East Hastings naked.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:39 PM   #15
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Yeah, I lived in Prince George and spent a lot of time in towns around there, and I would rather walk down East Hastings naked.
I've lived in Dawson Creek, Fort St James and Prince George.

This is accurate
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:50 AM   #16
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The DTES has its problems but this is a bit dramatic.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 04:00 AM   #17
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's rich that the same Danny Green that took off to LA calls east Van rough and dangerous, wait till he visits the "fashion district" in LA thinking it must be a great spot for rich athletes
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:38 AM   #18
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

I stayed at St Clair Hotel-Hostel...I know not a great place but it had good reviews and I was a solo traveller.

I was coming from China so my sleeping was all messed up and at around 5 am I went out to get a coffee. There was a guy shooting up right outside the door. I've never seen that in my life.

Then walking around there are too many people who are really messed up on drugs. You don't know what they are going to do because there's a group of them and they are all completely out of it.

It's actually very rare for any kind of violence, not directed at other drug addicts, to occur in the DTES. It's quite heavily monitored by police.

It's obviously jarring to see people openly using crack and heroine, but it's not especially unsafe. You're far more likely to be the victim of violent crime in a small town. Many of the towns in Alberta are statistically worse than BC.

I actually feel a lot safer walking through the DTES at night than I do hanging around the C-train stations or quieter downtown areas in Calgary.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 07-11-2019, 05:25 AM   #19
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
The DTES has its problems but this is a bit dramatic.
It's not dramatic. After graduating from university I lived in Parkdale in Toronto which is considered a somewhat sketchy area. I never felt in danger. It could have been 2 a.m. and I was walking by a group of sketchy guys but I was never worried. Most people don't bother you if you don't bother them.

Seeing a group of people in public injecting themselves with drugs during the middle of the day in the centre of the city is pretty dramatic though. Its like something from a dystopian movie. I've never seen that before or since. I also saw some people who were messed up on something and I just didn't trust what they might do.

I don't get it to be honest. Vancouver has safe injection sites so why do they let these people shoot up outside. Why can't the local police enforce the laws?
Old 07-11-2019, 05:31 AM   #20
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
It's actually very rare for any kind of violence, not directed at other drug addicts, to occur in the DTES. It's quite heavily monitored by police.

It's obviously jarring to see people openly using crack and heroine, but it's not especially unsafe. You're far more likely to be the victim of violent crime in a small town. Many of the towns in Alberta are statistically worse than BC.

I actually feel a lot safer walking through the DTES at night than I do hanging around the C-train stations or quieter downtown areas in Calgary.
Like you said it's very shocking to see these hard drugs being used so openly in the city centre.

I guess my question is...Why?

Why is it allowed?

If I remember correctly I'm not even allowed to walk down the street with a beer in my hand but you've got people in the middle of the day openly shooting up.