Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2022, 11:04 AM   #1961
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Before the Palliser Square monstrosity arrived, we had this:

Not sure why the second one isn't showing: http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/pcim...b/PC005322.jpg
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2022, 02:35 PM   #1962
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Sikome Lake when it had lifeguards and two concessions. The Fish Creek historical park and museum.
They brought back the lifeguards and the concessions. Even the change rooms and showers are functional, so you can finally wash your feet after a 30 year hiatus.
Old 06-01-2022, 02:40 PM   #1963
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I was reading the community newsletter, and they had an article about the Molson brewery garden in Inglewood. I can't find any pictures using Google. Thanks Google.
Old 06-01-2022, 02:52 PM   #1964
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This?
https://newsroom.calgary.ca/how-beer...rn-in-calgary/

And I Google image searched " Molson brewery garden in Inglewood".
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2022, 02:58 PM   #1965
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sht you not I tried "Molson brewery garden inglewood" and got nuthin.

edit: I did get that link, just didn't realize it was actually about the park and not about craft beer lol.
Old 06-01-2022, 03:03 PM   #1966
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Probably have better luck deleting "Molson" from your search; the gardens were closed long before Molson had anything to do with it.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 04:20 PM   #1967
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The Palliser Square was one of the marque theatres in the city, with the biggest screens and largest capacity. The Empire Strikes Back opened there. Lineups ran all the way outside and past the Calgary Tower entrance. They oversold tickets, and some kids had to sit on the floor to watch.
I went to the Palliser for Empire Strikes Back as well. (Not sure it was opening weekend). Dumped off by my parents. Joined a massive line. Didn't make the first showing (we arrived probably 2 hours early) so stayed in line for the next one. Must have been down there for a solid 6-7 hours all-in. I recall my parents being pretty mad, but it seems that they didn't really care that much. So worth it.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2022, 05:03 PM   #1968
ooogabooga
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Gas below $1.00 a litre!
ooogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 05:07 PM   #1969
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
So I was reading the community newsletter, and they had an article about the Molson brewery garden in Inglewood. I can't find any pictures using Google. Thanks Google.
It was quite something in its day. A huge ballroom and also an aquarium on the grounds. It was one of the real gathering places for Calgary.

For a long time the ballroom was in there still, and I would have loved to have gotten access to see it. My understanding is that almost everything from those days is now gone.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 05:11 PM   #1970
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't be surprised if I have already mentioned this in this thread over the years (too lazy to check), but I still miss video game arcades in malls. I used to know all the arcades in each of the major malls in Calgary. Laser Illusions in Marlborough, Wizard's Castle in Sunridge & Market Mall, Easy Street in Chinook. I used to love going to malls with my parents on the weekend just to spend all my time at the arcade with my brother. Man, those were some fun times.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2022, 08:33 PM   #1971
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Was there a cinema in Chinatown? I remember going on a "I didn't know it was a date" with a girl and watching a Chinese movie, which I swear was in Chinatown.
Yup there was. I went there when I was young in the 90s and your location is bang on too.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2022, 08:56 PM   #1972
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooogabooga View Post
Gas below $1.00 a litre!
You mean like two years ago?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:16 PM   #1973
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooogabooga View Post
Gas below $1.00 a litre!
I remember when we used to travel to Calgary from Sask in the early 90s (?) and my dad would complain about crazy expensive gas in Sasky and it was like 50cents a litre. I recall it being 39cents a litre in Calgary. Lol. It’s hard to imagine now.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:20 PM   #1974
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
North Hill was the best. I watched the re-release of the original Star Wars trilogy there. Great experience.

It's too bad there isn't a market for smaller number of really large screen theatres.
This makes me curious about the screen size at the current cinemas compared to North Hill. Are there any kind of actual dimensions for that screen available? And what about current screens?

The landmark cinemas around the city have some big screens in their laser ultra theatres. Shawnessy theatre 10 comes to mind.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:54 PM   #1975
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if I have already mentioned this in this thread over the years (too lazy to check), but I still miss video game arcades in malls. I used to know all the arcades in each of the major malls in Calgary. Laser Illusions in Marlborough, Wizard's Castle in Sunridge & Market Mall, Easy Street in Chinook. I used to love going to malls with my parents on the weekend just to spend all my time at the arcade with my brother. Man, those were some fun times.
Easy Street was amazing, and totally reminds me of ditching school. I also liked the arcade in the corner of Southcentre. Had kind of a greasy, "watch yourself" vibe, especially when you're in junior high or high school. But frankly that just added to the ambiance.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:09 PM   #1976
Rautakallio
Draft Pick

I miss

Ralph Klein
The Westward Club
The Golden Calgarians
Mike Bezzeg, Jr.
Rautakallio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:24 PM   #1977
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I remember this curtain before Jurassic Park! This is still the coolest cinema I remember going to in terms of the feeling of it.

North Hill Cinemas in the Sears parking lot!

I must have seen 50 movies there. North Hill, Northland, and Market Mall made up the foundation upon which my friends and I built our cinematheque - but North Hill was about two blocks away from my house.

Some of the notable movies I remember seeing there were Jurassic Park with a lineup going around the building, Home Alone, 89 Batman, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I had a birthday party there where we saw him Back to the Future III followed by five pin bowling. There were a lot of those birthday parties.

Oddly one of the things I miss the most was seeing the 'What's Playing' sign as you drove down 16th Ave. It was like your weekend plans were made for you.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:38 PM   #1978
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
I must have seen 50 movies there. North Hill, Northland, and Market Mall made up the foundation upon which my friends and I built our cinematheque - but North Hill was about two blocks away from my house.

Some of the notable movies I remember seeing there were Jurassic Park with a lineup going around the building, Home Alone, 89 Batman, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I had a birthday party there where we saw him Back to the Future III followed by five pin bowling. There were a lot of those birthday parties.

Oddly one of the things I miss the most was seeing the 'What's Playing' sign as you drove down 16th Ave. It was like your weekend plans were made for you.
Nice. I remember Northills so well. Apocalypse Now, Independence Day, Basic Instinct, lol. Sharon Stone's cooter was like 7 feet tall!
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 09:29 AM   #1979
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I recall it being 39cents a litre in Calgary. Lol. It’s hard to imagine now.
We got close-ish to that in 2020. Oh to have an empty swimming pool....
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 10:14 AM   #1980
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Easy Street was amazing, and totally reminds me of ditching school. I also liked the arcade in the corner of Southcentre. Had kind of a greasy, "watch yourself" vibe, especially when you're in junior high or high school. But frankly that just added to the ambiance.
Yeah that one in Southcentre had almost a disorienting vibe to it. Wasn't the floor lit up red or something kind of like you were on the Starship Enterprise? Or in that ####ty cantina in Star Wars. Sort of felt like you may get shanked, but also made you feel like a 12-year-old bad ass for holding your own in there.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time