Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 08:25 PM   #9441
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is three years of 30 goal man RW Kyle Palmieri (4,65) worth a 1st?
Old 02-10-2019, 08:27 PM   #9442
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Everybody would trade Jankowski and a first for Smith. I'm guessing your brother is a closet flames fan?
If someone will give us a 1st and a Jankowski for Smith I am all for it!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 08:31 PM   #9443
Buck Murdock
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You can always throw in Hanowski to sweeten any proposed trade deal.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:34 PM   #9444
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was thinking how awesome would it be if Treliving could swing a deal for Quick and Toffoli. But man where does the time go?? How in the world is Quick already 33 years old??

Wow.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:36 PM   #9445
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
If someone will give us a 1st and a Jankowski for Smith I am all for it!
Hahahah. Whoops. A first and Jankowski for Stone.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:44 PM   #9446
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man Panarin would be a crazy add... could you imagine the chemistry with Tkachuk??? Even playing time with Gaudreau would be insane to watch:

Panarin - Monahan - Gaudreau
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm

Or

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Panarin - Backlund - Tkachuk

Insanity... I’d want every chance of being able to re-sign him so Frolik would have to be the roster player to go along with the 1st + prospect. We could still have enough to try and get a backup and/or add to D depth.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 08:46 PM   #9447
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone thought too maybe we could offer Mike Stone + pick to Ottawa for Dzingel if it gave them more hope to extend Stone?
Old 02-10-2019, 09:25 PM   #9448
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
I'd take Rakell in a heartbeat if he is available.

Amazing contract and would be such a good fit on the second line with Tkachuk.

Jankowski+1st for Rakell

Then trade Frolik for Brassard or another 4th line center.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Rakell
Bennett-Ryan-Neal
Mangiapane-Trade-Hathaway

Last edited by keenan87; 02-10-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:38 PM   #9449
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The Ducks would want Valimaki plus Jankowski plus a first for Rakell, and for good reason. He's having a lesser year this year but he's always one of their very best players.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:55 PM   #9450
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
The Ducks would want Valimaki plus Jankowski plus a first for Rakell, and for good reason. He's having a lesser year this year but he's always one of their very best players.
That is crazy overpayment with Valimaki. We aren't trading for a superstar here.

That being said, I would still do Andersson+Jankowski+1st
Old 02-10-2019, 09:56 PM   #9451
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Man, I remember when people used to like Frolik.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:09 PM   #9452
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
^ So you have on one hand Rittich, who is developing and doing well so far, and Ramo, on whom the team cut bait when he was injured. Those are your success stories.

I will give you three proven NHL goalies who have gotten worse. Much worse.

In 3 consecutive years, Hiller, Elliott and Smith were all incoming as proven NHL goalies, who fell off the cliff under his watchful tutelage. He shouldn’t be questioned? Especially as all three guys seemed to be increasingly subject to mental errors, bad things creeping in to their game, and stoppable shots all of a sudden being unstoppable. It’s not like it’s just one guy.

Hiller never had a sv % below .910 before joining the Flames. Then at age 33, fell off a cliff. Got in a funk under Sigalet, let in softies early and couldn’t get out of that funk.
Elliott. Still putting up a serviceable .910 ish sv%, he is a NHL goalie. Somehow his confidence ended up being shot here, resulting in the brutal goals allowed during the playoffs. After the previous playoffs putting up a .921 and making the third round. So he went from clutch one year to letting in a squeaker from the half boards
Smith - very good the first half of last year, now arguably the worst goalie in the league with his workload

All three of these guys got in to funks under Sigalet that they couldn’t get their way out of under Sigalet. Punctuated by allowing some specific really, really bad goals, right through them, at very bad times, that are stoppable. That is alarming!

Seriously, how can you deny seeing that commonality?!!

Go ahead, find me another team that broke 3 goalies in 3 years.

You could argue that he is like veteran goalie poison.

If I’m a teacher, one student in my class passes, and most flunk, tough to look at the one student and say I’m a great teacher.

I don’t think you can rant at people questioning Sigalet. Telling them that the evidence of his success is right in front of their faces, because his failures are quite evident.

Hiller - was no longer a proven NHL starter. In fact, his first season in Calgary was his best in a number of years (4? 5 seasons?). He was over the hill and Anaheim cut bait with him.

Elliott - proven starter? He had never been a bona fide starter in his entire career before or after Calgary. Sure, he was a starter for a season or two with Ottawa, but he was terrible. Don't you remember that the talk of the town when Calgary acquired him was "can Brian Elliott handle being a starter"? Short answer: No. Not in Calgary, and not in Philly either. Definitely wasn't one in St. Louis. That's why the youngest goalie in the NHL - Carter Hart - is now the starter. Elliott has ONE good playoffs, and has underperformed in all his others. He has never been able to take that step in any other organization, so why is Sigalet to blame for him again?

Smith - look at Smith's numbers last year. I believe it was his 4th best season of his career in SV%. That's crazy when you think of it, especially since he came back from injury too early and performed poorly. Look at how old he is. Look at how goalies his age and older do. Sorry, but is it really Sigalet making him worse, or just age catching up with him? Some of the leagues' best goalies are finishing up their careers, and they are not looking great doing it. Martin Broudeur - one of the best goalies of all time - started falling of a cliff at age 37. Smith at his prime was only a 'decent' starter, with only a single season in which he was truly a great goalie. Yes, he was, unlike Eliott, a legitimate starter when Calgary acquired him, but again this is at the end of his career. So is it age with Smith (and perhaps injury - he isn't moving laterally all that well from the looks of it since before he got injured last season), or is it Sigalet?

Question you should really ask yourself is: "Is Jordan Sigalet the problem that ails Calgary's goaltending, or is it that Calgary just keeps going bargain bin shopping for goalies?"

Also, maybe think of this: We have heard absolutely ZERO comments about Sigalet being a poor goalie coach. We haven't heard one single peep out of any of the goalies that passed though Calgary regarding anything negative about Sigalet, regardless of how unhappy they were just after leaving. But what we have heard is outright praise - Ramo, Rittich and even Smith.

Again, my point is that you, nor I, nor anyone else on this forum knows how good of a job or not that Sigalet is doing, but pointing at a bunch of goalies that Calgary has clearly been pulling out of the bargain bin and proclaiming this correlation as evidence doesn't make it so.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 10:36 PM   #9453
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Dude, I see your point of view. We agree that we don’t know everything Sigalet does.

I see you finding excuse for failure which is valid but no less valid than the concern.

Three solid veterans who failed badly.

Just saying you have to be able to question him, which you apparently both agree with and disagree with
Old 02-10-2019, 10:52 PM   #9454
TheRealPepman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Didn't Chad Johnson become a terrible goaltender post-Sigalet, allegedly? Sucked in his 2nd stint with Buffalo. Sucked in St. Louis. Now sucking in Anaheim.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:13 PM   #9455
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Question you should really ask yourself is: "Is Jordan Sigalet the problem that ails Calgary's goaltending, or is it that Calgary just keeps going bargain bin shopping for goalies?"
So...if BT had gotten Fleury, then with prime a goaltender Sigalet would be able to turn him into a SC goalie??? With Sigalet's guidance Price would have won a cup by now??

Here's the thing - If you have to go bargain bin shopping, don't you want a coach who CAN do something with those bargains? All those bargains had some pedigree coming in - Hiller won 29 games (5 shutouts) the year before arrival; Elliott had 23 wins & .930 sv% over 41 GP; Berra & Ramo both had won championships. They weren't complete crap, they just became that. (not that that was entirely Sigalet's fault.)

Alternatively, Sigalet has not been able to move any of the young guys forward, or are Gillies and Parsons just junk prospects?

Coaching is easy when you have hall-of-famers on the ice. That's why the '80s Oilers never practiced the PP. (if only Dave cameron had as many opportunities to get the PP right as Sigalet has had goalies to work with.)

I have no doubt Sigalet would be considered a genius if Carey Price played for the Flames.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:17 PM   #9456
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

2 weeks and 7 Flames games to go for BT and crew to figure out how to navigate the requirements for scoring,depth and goaltending for the stretch drive and the playoffs.
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 11:22 PM   #9457
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rakell has one of the very best contracts in the league even with his poor season(that all Ducks are having). He's had multiple 30 goal seasons on his sub 4M contract and still has three more years with it after this one. He's 25 and plays all forward positions. There's almost no chance the Ducks trade him to a divisional rival, certainly not for a 1st and Jankowski.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:36 PM   #9458
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Is three years of 30 goal man RW Kyle Palmieri (4,65) worth a 1st?
Uhh... he's worth a lot more than a 1st
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 05:50 AM   #9459
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Rakell has one of the very best contracts in the league even with his poor season(that all Ducks are having). He's had multiple 30 goal seasons on his sub 4M contract and still has three more years with it after this one. He's 25 and plays all forward positions. There's almost no chance the Ducks trade him to a divisional rival, certainly not for a 1st and Jankowski.

While Rakell’s contract makes him quite valuable, Janko and a 1st round pick is certainly valuable in itself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2019, 07:20 AM   #9460
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Apologizes folks thought I posted this on Saturday. A source from the OEG has told me Tre has inquired about Talbot, but got the piss off answer.

So Tre must be looking to see what is out there for goalies.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread