Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 11:23 PM   #9381
droopydrew19
Safari Stan

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Let's face it - unless the Flames are willing to throw in a 2nd, and eat a ton of Smith's money, they're stuck with him. I don't know if anyone could've seen this coming (I personally thought it was a good pickup at the time), but no team can honestly justify taking him on, and the Flames can't justify dealing him away for a high price for a backup goaltender. You'd do that if he was your starter, but as a backup they're in a tough position.
Expiring Contract that is 3/4 paid
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droopydrew19 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2019, 11:35 PM   #9382
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I was the one who brought up Darling. But Crawford was the one who beat Nashville and won the Cup.

Fleury was actually the #1 goalie when the season started LOL.

Forsberg ain’t winning any cup LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think you missed the point. Starting goalies like Crawford and Fleury can win you the cup, but they can and did have their struggles too. When they're struggling during a 5 or 6 games stretch in the playoffs, you need the backup to come in, hold down the fort and maybe win a round.

Smith probably can't do that, but a better backup can probably go on a nice 5 or 6 game run if Rittich falters.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedHawk12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2019, 11:49 PM   #9383
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Frolik isn't consistently good enough to be in our top six these days. I think 3M needs an upgrade and hope Brad sees the same. Wouldn't mess with lines 3 and 4 as they're fine at their roles and only improving. Let Fro's agent deal with some other team.

Also a backup. Please don't go into the playoffs with Smith as the backup plan.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 12:03 AM   #9384
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Frolik isn't consistently good enough to be in our top six these days. I think 3M needs an upgrade and hope Brad sees the same. Wouldn't mess with lines 3 and 4 as they're fine at their roles and only improving. Let Fro's agent deal with some other team.

Also a backup. Please don't go into the playoffs with Smith as the backup plan.

They did try to upgrade. His name is James Neal. He wasn’t brought in to be a 3rd liner. But the 3M line is the only one that seems to work on for the 2nd line. The chemistry between them works more so than anything else. Bennett has seen limited success there, but their lack of production was glaring. To try to find an upgrade at that position would probably be expensive and not even guaranteed to be an upgrade.

At the moment, I actually kind of like all the lines as is. The chemistry in the bottom 6 is formulating and Neal looks like he’s keeping up with Jankowski and Bennett. Adding a depth forward, preferably one who can play a heavier game for the playoffs would be my personal move.

Completely agree with you on Smith though. There’s no guarantee Rittich plays lights out in the playoffs either, so having a quality second option is vital. If Smith is your fall back, team is done. It’ll be Brian Elliott all over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2019, 12:12 AM   #9385
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just my hunch, but I think Treliving makes a move sooner than later. Maybe a mid range move for a depth forward that can play up and down the lines maybe on PP2 as well. Not a small move, as maybe it’s a 4th line guy that replaces Magiapane, but not a huge one either.

After he sees how that move settles out for line and room chemistry and of course production and team success in the next two weeks before the trade deadline, it dictates to him how active he may or may not have to be, nearer to the deadline with other bigger or smaller moves.

But on the 4th you’ve got eat bread, Quine etc able to fill that too.

I just think Treliving will want to do an add, and see if they kick starts the team and gets some guys alerted to the additional depth (to pick up their game) while also providing some more fwd depth no matter if he decides on more moves, or makes no moves.

If this trade pushes down a guy he already had thoughts that he may put on the block (let’s use Frolik as an example), and Frolik doesn’t respond to the guy coming in, then Frolik is well in play to move. If it lights a fire under Frolik, then it’s a win and new player adds additional depth or challenges another roster player in the next two weeks.

Last edited by browna; 02-10-2019 at 12:21 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 12:29 AM   #9386
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way I see it, Calgary has 5 holes to fill. None of them, IMO, are critical. This team is good enough to have a long play-off run. These 5 holes in no particular order are (IMO):

2nd line RW - when the top line gets shut-down, our depth scoring sometimes isn't enough.

3rd line center - I like Jankowski, but he isn't carrying the load well enough yet, and Ryan just doesn't have enough offence.

LHS depth defencemen - Vallimaki is back, but the playoffs are a war of attrition. 2 depth defencemen on either side is what you should enter the playoffs with.

Back-up goalie - fair to say that Calgary could use an upgrade here

Some more muscle (hopefully with speed and skill) - plenty of small, skilled and fast teams enter the playoffs over the years, and few of them end up winning cups. I would like to have a bit more size in the line-up so that the other defencemen have to worry a bit and move the puck faster than they want, or just to help Calgary win the war of attrition that is the playoffs.

The only piece that should be relatively cheap to acquire would be the depth defencemen. A solid backup would probably require a 2nd round pick at this time of year, perhaps more depending on how good and young that goalie might be. The third line centre might be expensive as well, and that 2nd line RW'er might be tough to acquire.

I hope Carolina drops out of the race, and the Flames re-acquire Ferland for less than a 1st round pick - I still like him ahead of Maroon (too slow) and Simmonds (too slow). That brings in muscle, speed, some skill and already having familiarity with the team makes it a bonus (plus I think Carolina plays a similar system, so it shouldn't take him long to adjust).

Stone (or Panarin) are my top two targets. Not much is talked about when it comes to Panarin, but the poster that mentioned him as being as talented as Gaudreau is bang on. It is arguable if he is on that level, but he is as talented as one could possibly hope to acquire. Stone is the premier acquisition there. It is going to cost a lot to acquire him, but I think it would be worth it IF Treliving can find a way to re-sign him. It will give Calgary two legitimate high-end scoring lines for 4+ years, as well as be more difficult to play against.

If I am Treliving, I am going to call Fletcher 10x a day, every single day from now until the deadline, and try to annoy him enough into trading Couturier. 1st round pick, their pick of Kylington or Andersson, Dube, and any other prospect on the farm not named Parsons. That contract is so cap friendly, and he is a premier 2-way centre in this league. Once again, it would make the Flames a very difficult team to play against being able to throw out the Backlund line or the Couturier line at any given moment to shut-down their best players, and really allowing the Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm line to flourish with easier assignments. Quite possibly it helps get Bennett and Neal going a bit too. I imagine Fletcher was just talking out of his butt though when he said everyone other than Giroux was available.

I guess the market starts moving once we hear what is happening in Ottawa.

What I think happens is that Treliving acquires a Zuccarello or a Nyquist for LESS than a 1st round pick (this is a buyers' market after-all), and probably brings in Maroon. He will then find a journeyman defencemen that we have all forgotten about with some size and playoff experience for either a low pick or one of the prospects that we can live without.

I think finding that backup goalie is going to be too difficult and expensive. The big fish are still going to go for big assets, and both Treliving and Conroy have stated that they aren't going to spend that 1st round pick for a player that won't be here (Stone will be a difficult re-sign, while Panarin is looking like he will be going to Florida next season).

I would be ok with adding solid depth without spending the 1st round pick this year. This is a good team that just needs a bit of help for the playoffs to make some real noise.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 04:51 AM   #9387
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
I think you missed the point. Starting goalies like Crawford and Fleury can win you the cup, but they can and did have their struggles too. When they're struggling during a 5 or 6 games stretch in the playoffs, you need the backup to come in, hold down the fort and maybe win a round.

Smith probably can't do that, but a better backup can probably go on a nice 5 or 6 game run if Rittich falters.

I didn’t miss the point, I actually brought up the fact that it does occur.

But it occurs seldom in the playoffs. Generally if your #1 falters, you are done.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 08:07 AM   #9388
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Florida wanting to shed as much Salary as possible and with Frolik playing there once before does a Frolik (4.3 cap next year) for Hoffman (5.187 cap next year) make any sense for either side? Flames obviously have to add a pick or prospect depending but there could be a match here IMO and it adds a high end talent with PP credentials. Saves Florida an extra shade under a million next year, is there a fit ?

Frolik + 2020 2nd for Hoffman

Gaudreau- Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Hoffman
Bennett - Jankowski - Neal
Mangiapane - Ryan - Hathaway

I still hope we pursue Stone but Hoffman would be a nice consolation prize if we lose out on the big name sweepstakes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 08:16 AM   #9389
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think too we could still go out in a scenario like that and add another highend rental like Eric staal or Zuccarello; with the way Ryan has been playing it would be amazing to get him a winger that could help that 4th line score even more than it is right now.

1st + Czarnik for Zuccarello
Frolik + 2nd for Hoffman

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Hathaway/Mangiapane - Ryan - Zuccarello
Old 02-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #9390
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really really hoping Treliving brings in another goalie before the deadline, I'm tired of seeing the Flames lose the goaltending battle in games. Absolutely love the Rittich story this year, but going into the playoffs with Rittich/Smith is a little scary. Can totally see goaltending being their undoing in the playoffs in its current form, which would be a shame on a team this talented.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #9391
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Florida wants to move Hoffman to save cap space , they could easily do so without taking any back.

They wouldn’t take Frolik back because they don’t need to.

They can get a 2 round pick without taking back unwanted cap space, and likely get more too.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:37 AM   #9392
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

While there are some goalies available for a reasonable price that are better than Smith and can be a decent backup there really isn’t anyone available that is anywhere close to as good as Rittich. Doesn’t help that so many teams in the west are still in playoff hunt so there isn’t much to buy.

Plus the only teams out of it in the west are in our division and not trading with us. In the east there is some available, but I don’t think Howard is worth the asking price and the other non contenders have crap goalies.

Last edited by Kasi; 02-10-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:41 AM   #9393
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

After looking at the complete current goalie list in the NHL, Ryan Miller looks like one of the better options to acquire.

He should be back from the IR quite soon which gives him plenty of time to find his game and increase his health, is an UFA, and obviously has the resume. The cost shouldn't be more than a 3rd rounder should Anaheim wish to play ball. Thoughts?

I'm not sure if he has a NTC but he's never won the Cup to my memory. Could be enticing for him equally to come here.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #9394
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

ryan has been showing flashes imo, so maybe he could move up the lineup on some nights... not sure if he played with better line mates last night but he looked good.

i think another winger would be helpful...acquisition cost is always going to be the big question... i think its very unlikely to be a Panarin or Stone, due to costs and inability to resign... Panarin probably isn't interested in calgary even if they had the money to sign him.

some of the lower targets might be better...guys like a Dzingle or Marcus Johannson or Nyquist would be more plausible.

the back up goalie isn't a replacement for smith per se... i'd feel way more comfortable with someone other than Gilles in the playoffs as a the emergency third
Old 02-10-2019, 08:44 AM   #9395
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2018/2019 Trade Speculation and Rumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I think too we could still go out in a scenario like that and add another highend rental like Eric staal or Zuccarello; with the way Ryan has been playing it would be amazing to get him a winger that could help that 4th line score even more than it is right now.

1st + Czarnik for Zuccarello
Frolik + 2nd for Hoffman

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Hathaway/Mangiapane - Ryan - Zuccarello

Just have to remember our 1st won’t be leaving for a rental, and I don’t think a lot of interest will be there in signing Zuccarello (he’s 31 now I think?)

Hoffman for a 2nd straight across makes sense because Florida needs to dump cap, but I don’t think they’d want Frolik in return (unless Tallon...I think it’s still him...wants an old boy back from the Chicago days?)

Last edited by ComixZone; 02-10-2019 at 08:56 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #9396
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was looking at it from that angle, former player for Tallon and if they aren’t successful as they hope to be during free agency then it would be good to have a known commodity in Frolik who can play up and down the lineup in what would be a contract year for Frolik.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #9397
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was looking at it from that angle, former player for Tallon and if they aren’t successful as they hope to be during free agency then it would be good to have a known commodity in Frolik who can play up and down the lineup in what would be a contract year for Frolik.
Talon was already gone from Chicago when Frolik was acquired.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:25 AM   #9398
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They will need to have cap space to be successful in FA, so getting Frolik and saving little in cap space makes zero sense.

That trade benefits only Calgary who get the better player by far and are able to do so pretty much cap neutral.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:36 AM   #9399
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frolik is the kind of player you trade to a team in the playoffs...

like Frolik for Burakovsky or Johnsson (Toronto) or Eberle hypothetically... (not saying all are one for one, just as the centerpieces...) then arguably, if you are trading him as a 'playoff guy', Calgary should probably keep him for their playoff run

with one more year on his contract, he's not a guy that teams looking to dump salary would be looking at.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:11 AM   #9400
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Bennett has seen limited success there, but their lack of production was glaring.
This is simply false and infuenced by your own personal biases against Bennett.

Tkachuk - Backlund - Bennett have spent 169.98 together 5v5 and in that time have 10 goals.

This is a rate of 3.53 Goals/60 minutes

In the last three seasons, here is a list of lines on the Flames to log at least 160 minutes and post a G/60 of 3.5 or better over that span:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm - 4.1
Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland - 3.58
Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett - 3.53

Let's look at other teams:

Edmonton:
McDavid-Hopkins-Rattie - 4.61
Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl - 3.61

Tampa
Gourde-Point-Johnson - 3.96
Palat-Point-Johnson - 3.95
Johnson-Point-Kucherov - 3.92
Namestnikov-Stamkos-Kucherov - 3.82
Palat-Point-Kucherov - 3.51

Boston
Marchand-Krejci-Pastrnak - 4.43
Marchand-Nash-Pastrnak - 4.23

Washington
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Wilson - 3.76
Vrana-Kuznetsov-Wilson - 3.70

Dallas
Benn-Seguin-Radulov - 3.87
Benn-Spezza-Seguin - 3.61

Need I go on?

Their "glaring lack of production" as a line has essentially been first line production.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread