Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #9221
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
If Stone only costs a 1st round pick then it is an obvious no-brainer for Calgary.

However, it won't only cost a 1st round pick.
Yeah, the reported ask is a 1st, good prospect, and player. The article isn't too in depth, but the possible fit intrigues me still.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:00 PM   #9222
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Duhatschek Notebook: Some reasonable trade scenarios that benefit both sides
https://theathletic.com/808050/2019/...it-both-sides/
I think Stone is the second best player available (after Panarin) but may be the very best fit for the Flames based on two factors:

- better defensively than Panarin (actually I’ll go as far to say any winger in the game)
- has a non zero chance of actually signing here long term

Now the supposed Gio cap factors into #2, which isn’t even confirmed to be a thing, and the team may be forced to break it with Tkachuk anyways.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:01 PM   #9223
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

I’m still not convinced our goaltending is at the level it needs to be.

Smith is making mistakes he shouldn’t be making. When he’s on, he’s fantastic! But boy oh boy when’s he’s off. And he’s been off for a while.

And I would not be ready to hang my hat on Reddick. He’s been good but I’m just not getting that vibe he’s the guy.

I’d be happier with a proven guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2019, 01:01 PM   #9224
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
750k bigger. That's less than we're paying Prout or Czarnik to sit in the press box. The big difference would come in the lone 2019-2020 season where we need to penny pinch because in 2020 we have around 16M coming off the books. Meanwhile we stand to extend our window with the cap savings in 2022, which is Gaudreau's final year of his deal and could determine whether Gaudreau signs and extension.

And specifically pertaining to contracts, Neal's buyout if it came to that (say, 2020 offseason) would be on the books...
My biggest concerns with Kovalchuk's contract are not the cap-hit per sé. I am much more leery of the potential recapture on a +35 deal as well as the NMC. The Flames don't have those headaches attached to James Neal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 02-08-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:03 PM   #9225
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
So a very simple play that’s made 100 times a game, and would be expected to be successfully executed by even an average AHL player earning 50k/year, is now being lauded as being the driving force behind the first goal.

Neal’s assist the prior game in Carolina was genuinely a good play, Neal’s involvement in this goal was inconsequential.

The embarrassing thing is just how low the Neal apologists have had to set the bar to continue the defence of the player. When was the last time he used his stick to score again?

Kowalchuk for Neal every day, and twice on Sunday’s! Do it Tre.
Take a step back man ... what the hell is an apologist? Where have I defended the player other than saying I thought he had a decent game last night.

You know you're getting too close to a situation when you need to label those that disagree with you.

Neal has been terrible this year. His lack of speed has me worried that it might not get much better. His shooting percentage change suggests there is a return to a better version possible.

I don't see that as an easy pass. The easy play was a dump back behind him. Finding the open guy in the high slot in a split second isn't as easy as you're making it out to be. It shifted the whole defense off the wall and into a scramble.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2019, 01:04 PM   #9226
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Yeah, the reported ask is a 1st, good prospect, and player.
That seems completely reasonable even for a rental Mark Stone. If you can get him to put pen to paper at a decent contract then that could be a huge win for your franchise
Old 02-08-2019, 01:04 PM   #9227
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample00 View Post

Smith is making mistakes he shouldn’t be making. When he’s on, he’s fantastic! But boy oh boy when’s he’s off. And he’s been off for a while.

And I would not be ready to hang my hat on Reddick. He’s been good but I’m just not getting that vibe he’s the guy.

I agree but I don't think it's something that can be feasibly addressed by the deadline as there's really only one big name goaltender available and he's going to be costly and won't re-sign in Calgary. I think in the offseason Treliving will be putting in a lot of time trying to find a solution.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:06 PM   #9228
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
If Stone only costs a 1st round pick then it is an obvious no-brainer for Calgary.

However, it won't only cost a 1st round pick.
That and how many teams talking to them today have a weaker first round pick in comparison to other teams?
Old 02-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #9229
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I am going to repeat what Bingo said: You need to get over yourself.

Neal played fine last night. I was encouraged, and with how difficult it would be to trade him I think he provides the team positive results moving forward.
1st paragraph: stop telling people to get over themeselves...it “Real Housewives of Hollywood” stuff. He’s made some pretty good arguments considering how many people he’s been responding to. Just because he doesn’t agree with you doesn’t mean he is in the wrong ... and btw, he’s not on an island like you said in a prior post, and you know it.

2nd Paragraph: you might want to re-read it, it doesn’t even make the remotest bit of sense
Old 02-08-2019, 01:10 PM   #9230
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If we did trade for Mark Stone, which I think is not only the best player potentially available, but also the best fit. What would the Stone brothers jerseys have on the back? MA STONE and MI STONE?
Old 02-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #9231
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think we should try to swing a trade for a package of Nyquist and Howard.

Thinking something along the lines of
Roster player + Dube/EB + Gillies + 1st

Perhaps we could then send Smith back to Arizona with some incentive since he's a known commodity there and probably has some value as opposed to anywhere else.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:15 PM   #9232
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2018/2019 Trade Speculation and Rumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample00 View Post

JJ Reddick is a very good basketball player, not too sure how he is in goal tho.

I like the goalie who is 20-5-4

Old 02-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #9233
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Did someone say Pokey Reddick?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #9234
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Take a step back man ... what the hell is an apologist? Where have I defended the player other than saying I thought he had a decent game last night.

You know you're getting too close to a situation when you need to label those that disagree with you.

Neal has been terrible this year. His lack of speed has me worried that it might not get much better. His shooting percentage change suggests there is a return to a better version possible.

I don't see that as an easy pass. The easy play was a dump back behind him. Finding the open guy in the high slot in a split second isn't as easy as you're making it out to be. It shifted the whole defense off the wall and into a scramble.
He also set a great screen. Also played well otherwise throughout the game.

It's a bit rich calling people apologists for noting a good play. It's more like posters who hate Neal are minimizing a good play because it was Neal. If it was, say, Tkachuk, there'd be universal praise for hockey IQ, making a smart play, going to a tough area, etc.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:26 PM   #9235
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Can we collectively stop quoting CanadaMatt? The ignore list doesn't work if people quote everything he writes anyways.

I agree Neal has been a disappointment, but repeating the same stuff ad nauseum in every thread gets old really fast.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2019, 01:27 PM   #9236
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
1st paragraph: stop telling people to get over themeselves...it “Real Housewives of Hollywood” stuff. He’s made some pretty good arguments considering how many people he’s been responding to. Just because he doesn’t agree with you doesn’t mean he is in the wrong ... and btw, he’s not on an island like you said in a prior post, and you know it.

2nd Paragraph: you might want to re-read it, it doesn’t even make the remotest bit of sense
It comes with the territory if you criticize anything Flames on a Flames fan website obviously, the masses aren’t going to be with you. Same temperature as last year criticizing Gulutzan or Brouwer. Even if you make a decent argument there’s always going to be pushback.

I just think it’s silly to suggest I want the team I cheer for to be bad and lose to somehow validate my posts on an Internet forum. That makes zero sense.

I’m not minimizing the good parts, the good parts are just minimal.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:30 PM   #9237
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
He also set a great screen. Also played well otherwise throughout the game.

It's a bit rich calling people apologists for noting a good play. It's more like posters who hate Neal are minimizing a good play because it was Neal. If it was, say, Tkachuk, there'd be universal praise for hockey IQ, making a smart play, going to a tough area, etc.
Ah, as if on queue.

At the slightest criticism of James Neal, the usual suspects (you’re one of them as I’m sure you are aware) ride over the hills to defend the player.

This is the point.

You and the rest of the Neal apologists have set the bar so low for this player that a relatively innocuous game like last night, where he didn’t play badly (nor did he play particularly well) is now held up in a positive light. Gee I’d hate to see what an average James Neal game looks like in your eyes, (heaven forbid a bad one).

You’re really doing him a disservice. That was not a good game for a 5.75 million dollar player, it was ‘meh’ and, if given the chance, I’d trade him for Kovalchuk (as was the original topic)

Last edited by CanadaMatt; 02-08-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:30 PM   #9238
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
JJ Reddick is a very good basketball player, not too sure how he is in goal tho.

I like the goalie who is 20-5-4

Wow. Forgive me. I misspelt his name. It won’t happen again, kind Sir.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:32 PM   #9239
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
It comes with the territory if you criticize anything Flames on a Flames fan website obviously, the masses aren’t going to be with you. Same temperature as last year criticizing Gulutzan or Brouwer. Even if you make a decent argument there’s always going to be pushback.

I just think it’s silly to suggest I want the team I cheer for to be bad and lose to somehow validate my posts on an Internet forum. That makes zero sense.

I’m not minimizing the good parts, the good parts are just minimal.
You still don't get it.

Disagree with whoever you want. Be as negative as you want. Hell make stuff up if you want.

But learn to not insult others that disagree with you in the future or you're going to get hammered for it.

You told someone they don't know anything about hockey, called me disingenuous and clearly haven't learned a thing from either misstep.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2019, 01:33 PM   #9240
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread