Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 07:49 AM   #8421
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Our first round pick will highly probably never play in the NHL consistently and Dube is enormously overrated on this site. But for the hell of it even if you’re right, which is improbable, are you aware of what Panarin is?

Here are people Panarin is tied in points with: Marchand, Ovechkin, Tkachuk, Aho.

I would do that trade in a heartbeat and I loathe giving up our first. Stone is replaceable by multiple people and Dube is a fringe NHLer.

You’re talking about acquiring a bonafide NHL (super?) star. Like... holy smokes. Really? I borderline am wondering if you’re drunk here.
Are you assuming we resign Panarin while managing to keep Tkachuk locked up long term as part of this?

Because as it stands we'd be trading all that for 25-40 games of Panarin depending how deep we go.

I wouldn't do that for a Panarin rental myself, I'd rather package that into a young long term asset.
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 07:55 AM   #8422
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Are you assuming we resign Panarin while managing to keep Tkachuk locked up long term as part of this?

Because as it stands we'd be trading all that for 25-40 games of Panarin depending how deep we go.

I wouldn't do that for a Panarin rental myself, I'd rather package that into a young long term asset.
I don't think Mr.Coffee understands the difference between a rental and a player under contract.
The Following User Says Thank You to goflamesgo18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 07:56 AM   #8423
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would personally take stone over panarin if we're willing to trade a lot... much more of a chance that he might take some sort of small discount to stay as a western Canadian boy but no hope of panarin staying.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 08:03 AM   #8424
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

on 960 Friedman says Flames are looking for LHS D.

speculates about Adam McQuaid but not sure he would be a fit because he is a righty

Flames looking for depth forwards - question is how big they go.

Doesn't think Flames will add a big piece unless they go for Simmonds. Also talked about Neal returning to form would be huge.

Boomer says he was talking with Jim Playfair and they speculated on Simmonds.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:19 AM   #8425
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
on 960 Friedman says Flames are looking for LHS D.

speculates about Adam McQuaid but not sure he would be a fit because he is a righty

Flames looking for depth forwards - question is how big they go.

Doesn't think Flames will add a big piece unless they go for Simmonds. Also talked about Neal returning to form would be huge.

Boomer says he was talking with Jim Playfair and they speculated on Simmonds.
Ugh. Please no. This infatuation with Simmonds is garbage.

If you get a depth LHD it does potentially open up trading one of valimaki or kylington though. Not sure I'd want to but they are damn good trading chips
Old 02-01-2019, 08:20 AM   #8426
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Trade Valimaki or Kylington for a depth D?
Old 02-01-2019, 08:21 AM   #8427
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
No

No no no no no no no no

Why? They are the future
Old 02-01-2019, 08:21 AM   #8428
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
No

No no no no no no no no

Why? They are the future
Thats what I'm saying. Look at the post above mine.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:24 AM   #8429
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, sorry. Should be a reply to the other post
Old 02-01-2019, 08:24 AM   #8430
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post

If you get a depth LHD it does potentially open up trading one of valimaki or kylington though. Not sure I'd want to but they are damn good trading chips
Trade our depth D for depth D?
Old 02-01-2019, 08:25 AM   #8431
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

Thet arent trading Valimaki for sure....and very unlikely Kylington and not for only a depth piece.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #8432
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

He worded it poorly but he’s saying that if one can acquire depth D it opens the door to trade one of the young defenceman for a bigger fish/top 6 forward. But then you’re once again left without depth and you’ve downgraded your defence. Not a great plan.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #8433
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Friedman started the LHD rumour months ago, and he is the only one still saying it. Either he personally sees it as a hole in the roster, or he thinks 9 D deep isn't enough for a playoff run. Or he knows that Stone has a chance of being out for the season.

Anyway, until someone else of repute chimes in that this LHD thing has legs, I will always wonder.

Kylington and Valimaki in Stockton as depth isn't the worst idea, but honestly are we going to find a real upgrade to the position to push them down? They have been playing well, when healthy. I don't want to see a vet, just because he's a vet and that it the main part of what he brings.

A potential face puncher? A better Prout?
Old 02-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #8434
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Our first round pick will highly probably never play in the NHL consistently and Dube is enormously overrated on this site. But for the hell of it even if you’re right, which is improbable, are you aware of what Panarin is?

Here are people Panarin is tied in points with: Marchand, Ovechkin, Tkachuk, Aho.

I would do that trade in a heartbeat and I loathe giving up our first. Stone is replaceable by multiple people and Dube is a fringe NHLer.

You’re talking about acquiring a bonafide NHL (super?) star. Like... holy smokes. Really? I borderline am wondering if you’re drunk here.
Not saying it's not a fair trade. I really don't think either side would do the deal for different reasons. Yes, he's a great player, but there is no chance Panarin is back next season if he's traded to the Flames. Dube will be a lot more than a fringe NHLer and I think Treliving believes that as well. Which is why I don't think he will mortgage the future for slightly improved chances of winning the cup in one season. It's short-sighted thinking.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:28 AM   #8435
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Friedman started the LHD rumour months ago, and he is the only one still saying it. Either he personally sees it as a hole in the roster, or he thinks 9 D deep isn't enough for a playoff run. Or he knows that Stone has a chance of being out for the season.

Anyway, until someone else of repute chimes in that this LHD thing has legs, I will always wonder.

Kylington and Valimaki in Stockton as depth isn't the worst idea, but honestly are we going to find a real upgrade to the position to push them down? They have been playing well, when healthy. I don't want to see a vet, just because he's a vet and that it the main part of what he brings.

Actually it was LeBrun who first reported the LHD rumor. And he has been calling a lot of Flames moves in the past few years.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 08:29 AM   #8436
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Lol no! That's stupid. Acquire a solid LHD to caddy one of them during the playoffs, trade the other as part of a package for someone like mark stone. I thought my preference would be to keep vali but kylington has looked way better than I anticipated.

Reasons not to acquire simmonds:
- -42 over last three seasons
- in last 2 playoff appearances, has only 4 assists and 0 goals in 12 games as a top 6 forward. His last 'good' playoffs were 5 years ago.
- slower skater and seems to have pretty high contract expectations
- where would he go on the roster? Wont produce much of anything on the 4th line but he doesn't deserve to bump anyone else down.
- I really think that people think hes tough mostly because hes black, which is hella uncool. Hes not overly big or heavy, and though he hits well and fights occasionally I would say hes closer to a kunitz type than a reaves. Or like scott hartnell but smaller. No disrespect to wayne, but I think hes been miscast because of skin colour.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 08:35 AM   #8437
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
He worded it poorly but he’s saying that if one can acquire depth D it opens the door to trade one of the young defenceman for a bigger fish/top 6 forward. But then you’re once again left without depth and you’ve downgraded your defence. Not a great plan.
I will reply to this one but the reply should service all of the replies I originally got.

I think it could shake out like this:

3rd round for depth lhd

Dube+kylington+1st for premium piece (Couturier?? Lol probably not)

Your d depth would still be intact- the lhd acquired in trade 1 is the 7th dman on the squad behind valimaki-andersson. Him and stone give you injury insurance.

Kylington, dube and our 1st are formidable pieces that could potentially get us a young player with term, a other potential homerun for this core. It also is unlikely to really alter the team culture dramatically.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:38 AM   #8438
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Friedman started the LHD rumour months ago, and he is the only one still saying it.
No he isn't, it has been speculated by many.

Quote:
Either he personally sees it as a hole in the roster, or he thinks 9 D deep isn't enough for a playoff run.
Or he knows that Stone has a chance of being out for the season.
Yes there is a chance Stone doesn't come back, but it sounds very good that he will.

Quote:
LeBrun and others have said as much as well. It certainly would make some sense.

Quote:
Look how many guys we have starting that have never even played one NHL playoff game...which is why a vet who has been through it makes a whole lot of sense. The playoffs are not the regular season and as we all witnessed the last time this club was in them, they got pushed around mercilessly at times. This club is even softer than that one was. Bringing in a couple crash and banger/heavy types who have been through the rigors is something this club could most certainly use. There will also be attrition in any sort of lengthy playoff run and more NHL players around to fill them the better and no one says any one added or on the edge of the team has to play every game.

Quote:
Possibly but very doubtful they want a pure tough guy for the playoffs. Guys that will go when challenged? Sure, but that wont be their primary talent.

Last edited by transplant99; 02-01-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:45 AM   #8439
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Is Simmonds not very good now, or isthe issue the assets it would take to acquire him? He is a player I have always coveted and wanted on the Flames.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:45 AM   #8440
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
- I really think that people think hes tough mostly because hes black, which is hella uncool. Hes not overly big or heavy, and though he hits well and fights occasionally I would say hes closer to a kunitz type than a reaves. Or like scott hartnell but smaller. No disrespect to wayne, but I think hes been miscast because of skin colour.
What the hell are you talking about?
Closed Thread