Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 06:11 PM   #6681
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insufficient Funds View Post
Hell I'd pay the Flames $50 to fire him now.
However, in honour of your generous proposition:

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2018, 06:34 PM   #6682
Bar-Down
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
The thing with Mackinnon, Schenn, and Couturier were that before the changes were made, they were still very very good players. Mackinnon was the 1C on the Aves, Schenn was a 2C and put up two 55pt+ seasons prior, and Couturier was an elite shutdown C who was on a 45pt pace his prior 2 seasons.
Bennett isn't really like any of them. He doesn't have the high end offense like Mackinnon, isn't as consistent and well rounded as Schenn, and doesn't have the elite defensive prowess of Couturier.

If he does indeed "breakout" at some point, it will not be with the Flames. It'll be extremely hard for him to take that step in Calgary while being on the 3rd line.

Edit. It would of been nice to put Bennett in Frolik's spot while he was injured. See what he can do with some better players.
Yeah I wouldn't mind trying (once healthy):

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Bennett
Versteeg - Janko - Frolik
Brouwer - Lazar/Stajan - Hathaway
Old 01-27-2018, 07:08 PM   #6683
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we make a video or something to convince Tavares why he should come to Calgary?

I mean like do it in the summer or indoors but make it happen.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:11 PM   #6684
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was thinking when the Islanders come to Calgary, have signs and make him feel welcome or somehow convince him
Old 01-27-2018, 07:13 PM   #6685
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dollars to donuts JT stays out east
Old 01-27-2018, 08:15 PM   #6686
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
That kind of comment always reminds me of the hilarious trades from the Old Days and Minor League sports.

As far as hockey is concerned I do recall that one player was traded for a Team Bus and another was traded for a Steak Dinner.

The Calgary Cannons once traded a guy for 2000 Red Seats (I think? Memory is hazy on that one) but....that one sadly did not go well.
Chris Draper was traded fron WPG to DET for $1 in 1993.
That worked out pretty well for the Wings, he went on to play 1000+ games.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:59 AM   #6687
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Are you trying to say Gaudreau doesn’t hate losing?

I’d out him up as the most competitive player on this roster. Maybe Gio is tied with him.
No I wasn't, though I can see how it reads that way. I just meant that he was another non-gritty player in the general sense. Though I absolutely agree with you that his hate to lose meter red lines with the best of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2018, 01:36 AM   #6688
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on what people have said, it sounds like Tkachuk and Smith also hate to lose.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:40 AM   #6689
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would like to know does are elite number 1 Centre Monahan hate to lose? Some nights he looks like he has cement legs.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:50 AM   #6690
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
I would like to know does are elite number 1 Centre Monahan hate to lose? Some nights he looks like he has cement legs.
Just because a guy is not hyper emotional, breaking sticks or swearing or crying after a loss, does not mean that player accepts or is okay with losing. The players are expected to keep their emotions in check and stay focused on their assignments. Guys that get too emotional are easy to get off their game. I appreciate Monahan’s ability to keep his emotions in check, that is extremely important in tense moments and big games.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:37 AM   #6691
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
He has 18 this year. On pace for a career year though. His totals/projections are typically in the low 20s. He's right handed, Pisses teams off, bulldog mentality. If he's just a 20 goal scorer, that's still a mighty fine package. But if he starts putting up 25-30 plus like it seems he'll do this year, that's worth Brodie plus, IMO.

Health record has not been great though.
Always be leery of trading for a guy that is in the middle of a career year. Odds are they are going to regress to the mean and not maintain this new level of play. Conversely, picking up a player whose numbers are down a bit because his team is crap is usually a good investment. Brendan Gallagher is a player you stay away from because he is having a great year that exceeds any other he has had. All the things that work against him still exist because he is changing teams, and maybe more so amplified because if the existence of Gaudreau. Size does matter in pro sports, whether we like to admit it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Are they?

Flames just had the 2nd most number of prospects at the World Juniors with 6, behind only NJ.

Also ranked 5th best in 2017 from DobberProspects

http://www.dobberprospects.com/2017-...ects-rankings/

Ranked 8th best in 2017 and 2016 from TheHockeyWriters
https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-bes...-2017-ranking/
The cupboards need to examined a little closer me thinks. The representative numbers at the world juniors is very misleading. How many of the Flames prospects were guys who stirred the drink? How many of them are competing for similar positions. That is important to consider, especially as they go through development.

The Flames system has some really nice pieces to it. We are very lucky to have a stable of high quality defensemen with the likes of Valimaki, Fox, Andresson, and Kylington in the mix. Up front we have Dube as our single prospect that looks like a sure thing, and more in a checking capacity than a scorer. In goal we have Gillies and Parsons, but Parsons is years away and is showing he has a lot to learn. After those guys we have a mix of long shots. It would be nice if we had a couple of players that projected to be scorers, and didn’t have so many obvious roadblocks for them to achieve those expectations. That would make our system that much better and some of those prospects easier to trade.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:32 AM   #6692
Flame19,289
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Can we make a video or something to convince Tavares why he should come to Calgary?
We should highlight how Calgary has a stable arena situation with a modern, world-class building so Tavares won’t need to worry about where he’s playing over the next few seasons.

Oh, wait...
Old 01-28-2018, 08:00 AM   #6693
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Rangers ready to blow it up according to Foster Brooks.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/26/mcdona...to-blow-it-up/

Given the source, its grain of salt time, but how good would Rick Nash look as a RW on this club?

Grabner is another guy that should garner a lot of attention.
I wonder if the flames would look at a guy like Mats Zuccarrelo. He can bolster the PP, and has one year left on his current contract after this one at 4.5M. He is not the biggest guy but a good leader and could provide some good veteran presence on Jankowski and Bennett's line.

I don't think he would cost that much unless the rangers are retaining salary.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:01 AM   #6694
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coming out of the All Star break I am pretty happy with the makeup of the team with the exception of the PP (Fire Cameron into the sun already) and the defensive black hole that is TJ Brodie. I think there is enough scoring up front and the team has just missed burying their chances lately. Remember we will get Frolik and Versteeg back soon as well. As for Brodie after watching that video with OEL skating with Smith's kids it is obvious he is close with them, I wonder what we have to add to Brodie to get OEL out of Arizona. OEL has always been a fav of mine, really underrated because he plays in the desert but he is such a complete D man minus the physicality but he doesn't need to be because of his excellent stick work in defending. Obviously would have to get an extension done but I don't see that as an issue. I wonder if Brodie+Gillies gets it done.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:06 AM   #6695
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Coming out of the All Star break I am pretty happy with the makeup of the team with the exception of the PP (Fire Cameron into the sun already) and the defensive black hole that is TJ Brodie. I think there is enough scoring up front and the team has just missed burying their chances lately. Remember we will get Frolik and Versteeg back soon as well. As for Brodie after watching that video with OEL skating with Smith's kids it is obvious he is close with them, I wonder what we have to add to Brodie to get OEL out of Arizona. OEL has always been a fav of mine, really underrated because he plays in the desert but he is such a complete D man minus the physicality but he doesn't need to be because of his excellent stick work in defending. Obviously would have to get an extension done but I don't see that as an issue. I wonder if Brodie+Gillies gets it done.
Isnt OEL a free agent next year? Maybe trade brodie for help up front this year and just sign OEL next year

Dare to dream!
Old 01-28-2018, 09:25 AM   #6696
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you think it would make any difference who we trade for with the current coaching staff?

Too many ongoing head scratchers
Old 01-28-2018, 09:33 AM   #6697
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
If you think Brodie is a defensive black hole you need to spend a little more time watching OEL. He is atrocious behind his own redline. Yeah, the Coyotes suck, but a large part of them sucking is inability to play on the defensive side of the puck. Stay away from OEL.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2018, 09:33 AM   #6698
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Do you think it would make any difference who we trade for with the current coaching staff?

Too many ongoing head scratchers
My thoughts exactly. Really id like to see Dave Cameron replaced and see if a decent pp is enough.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:35 AM   #6699
iLoveLamp
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
That kind of comment always reminds me of the hilarious trades from the Old Days and Minor League sports.

As far as hockey is concerned I do recall that one player was traded for a Team Bus and another was traded for a Steak Dinner.

The Calgary Cannons once traded a guy for 2000 Red Seats (I think? Memory is hazy on that one) but....that one sadly did not go well.
There was a minor league ball player who was traded for 10 bat's in 2008, he ended up dying of an "accidental overdose" later that year

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Odom_(baseball)
Old 01-28-2018, 10:02 AM   #6700
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
If you think Brodie is a defensive black hole you need to spend a little more time watching OEL. He is atrocious behind his own redline. Yeah, the Coyotes suck, but a large part of them sucking is inability to play on the defensive side of the puck. Stay away from OEL.
I spend plenty of time watching Arizona and OEL and I strongly disagree with your assessment.
Closed Thread