Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 10:23 AM   #5881
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

So... Bennett + + + for Kane?... where does Kane play? That’s a big overpayment for a player for your 3rd line or 2b line..

If you’re thinking Kane plays on the top line, why? Kane has 16 goals and no sure chemistry with Johnny and Monny, when Ferland has 19 goals and proven chemistry...

So.. what would be the point of this deal? I don’t get it.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:36 AM   #5882
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
But....it was you who brought them up? I'm just saying that teams have been able to build around players making that ~17% of the cap since the cap was institutionalized. Including multiple divisional, conference and President Trophy winning teams. I don't see a reason why that can't be the case today. Especially for a player of Tavares' calibre. You just need to build around them properly. Again, though, I think 15M is high.

Chicago won the conference last year with Kane and Toews making 10.5M each on top of Seabrook's terrible 6.87M contract. With competency, it's easier to build around a great player(s) making a ton than it is building a balanced team (which pretty much requires an expansion draft to do at all) without a bonafide top tier player.
I brought them up as a reason to NOT sign Tavares for 15 M... that the Oilers were going to get hammered by the cap once McDavid's contract kicked in.

while the Oilers might have junk eating up space, they suck.

Calgary has legit players taking up space, which is why they are currently contending for a spot...

I don't think it would be smart for Calgary to sign a 15 million dollar player, and frankly, don't think they can with the contracts coming up in the next two years.

you think otherwise.

I'll leave it at that

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 01-19-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:47 AM   #5883
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
I brought them up as a reason to NOT sign Tavares for 15 M... that the Oilers were going to get hammered by the cap once McDavid's contract kicked in.

while the Oilers might have junk eating up space, they suck.
They suck because of the people around McDavid, not McDavid himself. #### he's making under 0.925M in cap this year, I guess no one should sign Tavares to 1M?

Oilers suck because they suck, it's an organizational thing. Using them as a basis for any other argument is unfair. Look at other teams that are paying top tier players 10M+ (in actual cap or cash) and you'll notice it's very much doable to build around high priced contracts.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #5884
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane_Flame View Post
I live in Vancouver and someone close to his family mentioned to him that Evander is interested in the Flames as a possible landing spot. Says he is not keen to necessarily play too close to home but likes where the Flames are headed and thinks it might be a good compromise. Mentioned that he heard Flames are willing to part with Bennett as his contract will most likely be pricey and a blue chip defensive prospect. I would think it might also take a pick of some sort. Think this is even possible?

Take with a grain of salt.
I went to school with one of Evander's family members. I know Kane has interest in the Flames and the Flames have interest in him. He wants to play closer to home just not in Vancouver. My guess is the Flames try and sign him July 1. But he goes to a team in California.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2018, 10:58 AM   #5885
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane_Flame View Post
I live in Vancouver and someone close to his family mentioned to him that Evander is interested in the Flames as a possible landing spot. Says he is not keen to necessarily play too close to home but likes where the Flames are headed and thinks it might be a good compromise. Mentioned that he heard Flames are willing to part with Bennett as his contract will most likely be pricey and a blue chip defensive prospect. I would think it might also take a pick of some sort. Think this is even possible?

Take with a grain of salt.
I donate my jersey to goodwill and become a Vegas fan if they make that trade.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #5886
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would you rather have Tavares for $12 million per or Backlund and Kane for $6 million per each?

No assets given up, all signed as UFA's.

7 year term for Tavares, 6 year terms for Backlund and Kane.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:44 AM   #5887
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Would you rather have Tavares for $12 million per or Backlund and Kane for $6 million per each?

Tavares. He's way better than Backlund, and we could just slot an ELC winger by Tavares (like Mangiapane).
Old 01-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #5888
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Tavares for sure, in my opinion. He'll make his whole line better, adding to the "value".
Old 01-19-2018, 11:48 AM   #5889
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tkachuk - Tavares - Pylon
Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Bennett - Jankowski - Frolik

No matter who is in that #1 RW spot, that is a huge upgrade to this team.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #5890
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Tavares because I don’t think Kane is worth $6M and not consistent enough for that contract. I also think 6x6 is too rich for Backs. $12 for Tavares is steep but he is a superstar and Monahan as the number 2 centre sets up and elite team.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #5891
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's not forget Brouwer/Stajan are taking up 7.5 in cap space this season. Give me a 10+M player over a few of those clowns any day.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:54 AM   #5892
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

For consideration, the last 3 seasons:

Tavares -> 86 goals, 191 points
Backs + Kane -> 114 goals, 243 points

So technically, you are getting more bang for your $12 million by going with the duo over Tavares, but JT would certainly elevate whatever wingers you put on his line allowing you to keep Johnny and Mony together for another elite 2nd line.

I think I go with Tavares as well.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #5893
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sign Tavares, sign Backlund, trade Backlund for asset.

We all know it will take just about max for him to choose to come here over somewhere more desirable.

I think 12.5 in on the low end.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #5894
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Marry Tavares...kill um...no wait....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2018, 12:01 PM   #5895
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post

Exactly, you can even rotate kids in there, Give Klimchuk, Poirer, David Moss in that spot.

Huge upgrade on the powerplay as well, which is really what we need.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #5896
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Tavares because I don’t think Kane is worth $6M and not consistent enough for that contract. I also think 6x6 is too rich for Backs. $12 for Tavares is steep but he is a superstar and Monahan as the number 2 centre sets up and elite team.
Between '14/'15 and '17/'18, Evander Kane has 58 even strength goals. That puts him firmly in the top 50.

He's also put up .34 Goals Per Game. That places him 36th in the league during that time period. To question his consistency is off-base.

Kane produces as a top line winger, no matter how you cut it. His next contract will also carry him through some prime years into his early 30s. Evander Kane is most definitely worth 6M per.

Mikael Backlund is also worth 6M per. Kyle Turris just signed a 6x6 deal with Nashville, and that's about as perfect as a comparable contract can get.

I don't think there's a hope in hell that Tavares chooses to sign in Calgary. It's a pipe dream.

Evander Kane and Mikael Backlund at 12M could happen, and heck - I'd like it to happen - but having both of those players in at 6M will put us in a tight spot moving forward once Ferland, Bennett and Tkachuk need their new contracts.

Running a group of forwards that looks like this:

Bennett - Jankowski - Kane
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Mangiapane - Lazar - Hathaway

would be outstanding, but again - difficult to maintain cap-wise.

Last edited by ComixZone; 01-19-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:08 PM   #5897
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tavares in a heartbeat. After that you trade Stone for a pick and call up Rasmus Andersson and then trade for Hoffman in the off season

Tkachuk - Tavares - Hoffman

When Ferland, Tkachuk and Bennett's contracts are up you part ways with Brodie/Smith and promote whatever prospects you didn't trade for Hoffman (Fox, Gillies, Kylington, Valimaki)
Old 01-19-2018, 12:08 PM   #5898
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post

Tkachuk - Tavares - Brouwer/Mangiapane
Hathaway-Hrivik-Lazar/Mangiapane/Brouwer

You keep Brouwer for his last year or buy him out. I think at his current level of play, he doesn't hurt the line for a year. Mangiapane could pan out. Or you sign a guy to be a Maroon (but not Maroon).
Old 01-19-2018, 12:17 PM   #5899
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I will take option 3. Sign Backland for 6x6, don't give up assets for anyone with an attitude problem and no term, let anyone thats thinks they are worth as much as Monahan and Gaudreau combined collect their checks elsewhere, and continue to develop from within. If you need to add pieces, figure out what you have first, and do your dealing on the draft floor instead of the trade deadline. And full stop on signing UFAs that are over 30 years old.

Last edited by FlamesFanTrev; 01-19-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:28 PM   #5900
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
I will take option 3. Sign Backland for 6x6, don't give up assets for anyone with an attitude problem and no term, let anyone thats thinks they are worth as much as Monahan and Gaudreau combined collect their checks elsewhere, and continue to develop from within. If you need to add pieces, figure out what you have first, and do your dealing on the draft floor instead of the trade deadline. And full stop on signing UFAs that are over 30 years old.
The Penguins resigned Malkin to a higher cap hit than Crosby. Adding 2 more cups I'm sure Sid doesn't care

Also I'm sure Monahan and Gaudreau will get their pay days too. If you can add a Tavares who basically carries 2 average players too ppg totals you add that guy if possible. Odds are he doesn't choose Calgary anyways
Closed Thread