Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 07:29 AM   #5481
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now the only guy I want to add is Tavares... thanks for setting me up for disappointment
Old 01-11-2018, 07:35 AM   #5482
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eklund speculating cgy could be the next team to make a move after the hawks trade last night. Claims he's hearing flames may be looking at Pacioretty....

Ugh
Old 01-11-2018, 07:38 AM   #5483
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Eklund speculating cgy could be the next team to make a move after the hawks trade last night. Claims he's hearing flames may be looking at Pacioretty....

Ugh
It is Eklund...

Pacioretty is an interesting player... the Habs have been god awful this year and every single player has underperformed.. with their GM feeling pressure Tre could find a good deal with Pacioretty who has put up 30+ goals consistently.

Should be interesting.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:38 AM   #5484
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:

Ugh
I don't believe Eklund has ever been right about a Flames trade?
Old 01-11-2018, 07:39 AM   #5485
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How any fan who is watching the games can complain about Bennett over the last 2 months is beyond me.

He's been dynamic, physical, and a chance creator every game.

I also think he's been extremely unlucky in not collecting more points but the bad bounces will even themselves out, I have little doubt in that.
Hit another post last game. He's playing great but just not getting the puck luck. I feel that 3rd line has for the most part outplayed the lines they have matched up against so while the production hasn't been there when you consider the age of the players it's pretty encouraging.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:44 AM   #5486
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If the Flames happen to get into the playoffs, it's lines like the Bennett-Janko-Hathaway unit that win you games/series. When the well is dry for Johnny and Mony in tight checking games, it's Bennett's line that will wear teams down on the cycle and pop in that big goal.

There may be some bad puck luck right now but I'm plenty encouraged from what we see out of that unit. Good things are sure to come.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:45 AM   #5487
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would take Pacioretty, but I wouldn't be willing to give up enough to get him.

Porier and a years worth of smoked meat from Schwartz's is the most I would do.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:45 AM   #5488
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie could be a good starting point in a trade for Pacioretty.. plus he still has one more season after this and is still 29 ~ right in his prime years. Would be nice to have a hired gun brought in to be just that. Less pressure here on him than being thee guy in Montreal.. Definitely an interesting player to think about bringing in.

Brodie + Frolik + Klimchuk for Pacioretty + mid pick?

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Pacioretty- Backlund - Tkachuk
Bennett - Jankowski - Hathaway
Mangiapane - Lazar - Brouwer

Giordano - Hamilton
Kulak - Hamonic
Andersson - Stone
Bart

Smith
Rittich
Old 01-11-2018, 07:47 AM   #5489
Toonage

Exp:

Moving Brodie out leaves a giant gap on LD and you can't argue that GG doesn't want LD/RD pairings.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 07:50 AM   #5490
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Hit another post last game. He's playing great but just not getting the puck luck. I feel that 3rd line has for the most part outplayed the lines they have matched up against so while the production hasn't been there when you consider the age of the players it's pretty encouraging.
Thats the last thing Calgary needs at this point as they have had way more than their fair share of posts/crossbars etc than the vast majority of teams...at least this season and specifically since midway through November.

He is having one of those seasons that guy have, and I would love him as a Flame as he is a tremendous player, but the timing and acquisition cost make him unattainable IMO.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #5491
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Moving Brodie out leaves a giant gap on LD and you can't argue that GG doesn't want LD/RD pairings.
There is no doubt but with so much D coming up in the system and with us have a solid top 3 still our D is better than a good majority in the league.

Valimaki
Kylington
Andersson
Fox
AOM
Wotherspoon

1 or 2 of those guys are going to graduate and to get a guy of Pacioretty's calibur you have to give to get... I use Brodie in the above trade because we would be dealing from a position of strength.. but I do acknowledge that GG loves is LD/RD shots on the backend.

At this point Brodie + Frolik + prospect is the most I'd be willing to see in a trade for MP and seems close to what the asking price would essentially be.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #5492
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Thats the last thing Calgary needs at this point as they have had way more than their fair share of posts/crossbars etc than the vast majority of teams...at least this season and specifically since midway through November.

He is having one of those seasons that guy have, and I would love him as a Flame as he is a tremendous player, but the timing and acquisition cost make him unattainable IMO.
I thought he was talking about Benny
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to H2SO4(aq) For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 08:01 AM   #5493
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't believe Eklund has ever been right about a Flames trade?

He actually had the Phaneuf stuff right well before anyone else, and everyone dismissed him (...rightfully so)
Old 01-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #5494
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
I thought he was talking about Benny
To illustrate how bad Bennetts production offensively has been this season...Pacioretty is clippin along about 66% of his normal output and is still squashing Sam's numbers at this point.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #5495
Flames_F.T.W
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
He actually had the Phaneuf stuff right well before anyone else, and everyone dismissed him (...rightfully so)
If I recall correctly, he was spouting Jokinen to Calgary long before it happened... although I'm sure a lot of people saw a fit with Calgary needing a #1C at the time
Old 01-11-2018, 08:13 AM   #5496
Toonage

Exp:

I'm still going to dismiss Eklund. At my own peril I suppose.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:21 AM   #5497
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
There is no doubt but with so much D coming up in the system and with us have a solid top 3 still our D is better than a good majority in the league.

Valimaki
Kylington
Andersson
Fox
AOM
Wotherspoon

1 or 2 of those guys are going to graduate and to get a guy of Pacioretty's calibur you have to give to get... I use Brodie in the above trade because we would be dealing from a position of strength.. but I do acknowledge that GG loves is LD/RD shots on the backend.

At this point Brodie + Frolik + prospect is the most I'd be willing to see in a trade for MP and seems close to what the asking price would essentially be.

Good lord man that is an awful deal. Brodie AND Frolik +?

Also the Flames D strength is the right side. We have Hamilton, Hamonic, Stone all 27 or younger and our closest prospect to making the jump is Andersson whonis also a right shot. On the left side we have 34 year old Gio, 27 year old Brodie, Kulak and then Valimaki. Kylington is a left shot and Fox is a right shot. If GG is married to his L-R pairs then moving a right shot makes more sense.

If the Flames want to acquire that big piece for the top line like a Marner/Nylander then Dougie is the ask. The way Ferland has played I don’t think a top line winger is the biggest need. I don’t see the Flames moving Hamonic at all and Stone is not what the Habs want.

If they are dealing for Pacioretty perhaps a sending a couple of top prospects is the way they make it happen. The ask from the Hans though is a top goal scorer and we do not have one to give.

Janko abd Bennett should not be traded at all and they would be the players I could see the Habs wanting the most.

If there is a deal to be made between the Habs and Flames the good news is Treliving seems to be on the winning end of most of his blockbusters and Bergevin seems to be on the losing end.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:23 AM   #5498
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Why is everyone so keen to dump Brodie?

He has struggled but it has coincided with GG moving him to the left side. Lately, i've been noticing how often Brodie ends up on the right side of the ice when defending or starting a play. I think he's trying to send a message.

Brodie is a very good defenceman, a top 2 on most teams and in my opinion, he is the second best defenceman on the Flames behind only Giordano.

I would not be trading Brodie straight up for Pacioretty, let along adding to it.

Defensemen and Centremen are always more important and valuable than wingers. Wingers are at the bottom of the list in terms of importance and we aren't even talking about an elite winger here. He's just a 30 goal 60 point winger. Brodie is a better defenseman than Adam Larsson. Larsson got the Devils Taylor Hall. Hall is much better than Pacioretty and team has greater control too.

If i'm trading Brodie, i'm expecting nothing less than a Taylor Hall type asset in return. Not a second line winger with one year left on his deal.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #5499
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
I'm still going to dismiss Eklund. At my own peril I suppose.
There is NO peril in dismissing that fraud.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #5500
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Hate to pile on but there's definitely a pattern with the poster. He's continually beats the "Sam Bennett is a bust drum", "Dougie Hamilton is overrated drum", and "TJ Brodie is overrated drum" over and over. Now I do personally think Brodie is overrated by Flames fans and he's the first blue liner I would ship out of here in a trade but to me he's still a very good hockey player and good enough to fetch a 1st round pick in a trade. Same with Backlund in that I don't feel he's worth close to $6 million a season like some but that doesn't mean I undervalue his worth or am going to point out in game threads every single mistake he makes like a certain poster does with Bennett, Hamilton, etc. This is a Flames forum and posters get tired of hearing the same recycled "this player is no good" posts over and over especially when they are good players.
I know I have a reputation for coming down on negative posters - but this is an organization that hasn't done much for decades - so someone having a pessimistic view is valid. I choose to be a glass half full guy, but the half empty view is not without merit. And I know that.
But there is a small sub set of posters who are quiet when the team or player is doing well, and then are right there like a dirty shirt when something goes wrong.
So either
- They aren't really fans of the team (the ricardo is actually a Jets fan theory)
- They have a particular dislike for a player, and would rather see them fail even though them succeeding would be better for the team
- They simply care more about being right than having their team or the player in question succeed and make them wrong

I have a feeling, more often than not, it is the final one.
But I'm just trying to understand b/c I don't get it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread