Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 11:38 AM   #3681
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The trade no one brigade should prepare themselves for the inevitable trade of Flames depth at D for more scoring.

Something has to happen if the prospects continue to develop as they have been.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 11:40 AM   #3682
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
The return would be enormous. Hamilton would return nearly any winger in this league, the exception being guys in the tier of Kucherov.

And that plays a role in why it makes sense to trade him - it's not because CP thinks he's a whipping boy and doesn't value him, it's exactly the opposite.

Nashville didn't trade Seth Jones because he was a whipping boy and not valued... they traded from a position of strength, and the return for Seth Jones was Ryan Johansen, their #1C. Was anyone in Nashville pining for Seth Jones, as that team played their way into the SCF last season, Ryan Johansen largely carrying their offense on the way there?
Thank you. It's hard to get through to the crowd on CP once they smell blood over something and start mashing the keys, lol. This is why I brought up Hamilton for Marner, not because I felt like trading a good player for no reason.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:41 AM   #3683
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
The return would be enormous. Hamilton would return nearly any winger in this league, the exception being guys in the tier of Kucherov.

And that plays a role in why it makes sense to trade him - it's not because CP thinks he's a whipping boy and doesn't value him, it's exactly the opposite.

Nashville didn't trade Seth Jones because he was a whipping boy and not valued... they traded from a position of strength, and the return for Seth Jones was Ryan Johansen, their #1C. Was anyone in Nashville pining for Seth Jones, as that team played their way into the SCF last season, Ryan Johansen largely carrying their offense on the way there?
Exactly and from that perspective I understand it but it’s no big secret that there have been a number of Dougie haters around these parts and it’s completely unwarranted.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:42 AM   #3684
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
The trade no one brigade should prepare themselves for the inevitable trade of Flames depth at D for more scoring.

Something has to happen if the prospects continue to develop as they have been.
Yep, and it's a great thing to have happen. When we trade a top four D man and get a scoring forward back it will be because Anderson or someone else has jumped in and not looked back and everyone should be giddy with excitement when it happens not frothing that "OMG a good player was traded, WHY?????!!!! He was good!!!!".
Old 11-11-2017, 11:44 AM   #3685
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If Brodie for Marner was on the table you make that trade all day long. Upgrades the top 6 and gives a chance like Anderson or Kulak to step into the 3-4 Pairing. Flames have a surplus of young dman coming up in the system.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 11:48 AM   #3686
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Okay so....wtf CP? Yeah I know it's fun to speculate about getting another star forward. But we don't need one at all! Not only that but the idea of trading a top pairing d-man makes literally no sense. If the team is going to aquire help up front, it's not going to be in exchange for top players. It'll be similar to what Nashville gave up for Turris. Picks (don't have any) prospects (meh).

What we should be discussing is if and how we'll move Versteeg, Brouwer and Stajan. And who replaces them.

Heck, finding a good backup goalie is more important than getting a top line forward.

Don’t forget Nashville’s previous trade of Jones for Johannson. Worked out pretty well for them.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:48 AM   #3687
ThaBrink
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
If Brodie for Marner was on the table you make that trade all day long. Upgrades the top 6 and gives a chance like Anderson or Kulak to step into the 3-4 Pairing. Flames have a surplus of young dman coming up in the system.
The only thing that worries me there is that leaves Bartkowksi back in the lineup if we get any injuries
Old 11-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #3688
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBrink View Post
The only thing that worries me there is that leaves Bartkowksi back in the lineup if we get any injuries
Not quite. Kulak Hamonic and Stone Anderson. Bart still can remain 7th defencemen.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #3689
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol. Yeah the Flames are dying to trade arguably the best defenseman this org has had since the days of MacInnis for a small scoring winger who has one more point in two more games. Even if Marner were a future superstar, that trade doesn't remotely fit this organization's size MO under Burke. This is the same organization that thought Troy Brouwer was an upgrade on Jiri Hudler. The same organization that waived Paul Byron. The same organization that traded away Baertschi/Granlund for scraps instead of seeing what they could do with an opportunity. The same organization that force fed us Top 6 Forward Joe Colborne for three years. The same organization that let Gaudreau contract negotiations go to the final day of training camp and came out of it with only a six year deal instead of the 8 year deal that gave us the longest window to contend. The same organization that still hasn't signed arguably the best player in the WHL, their own prospect.

Gaudreau is great but predates Burke and the acquisition cost at the point of his signing was not a top pair defenseman, it was an ELC for a Hobey Baker winner. We are not about to flip Brodie for Mitch Marner if it is on the table. Knowing this org though they would mull over Brodie for JVR though.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 11-11-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #3690
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Trading T.J. Brodie would be one of the dumbest things this organization could do at the present moment. I'd rather trade literally anyone else, except Gaudreau.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:17 PM   #3691
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Trading T.J. Brodie would be one of the dumbest things this organization could do at the present moment. I'd rather trade literally anyone else, except Gaudreau.
You would trade Tkachuk before Brodie?
Old 11-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #3692
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
You would trade Tkachuk before Brodie?
No, I say they hold roughly the same value. I certainly wouldn't trade either.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #3693
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
This is asinine. You trade Tkachuk and Monahan before Brodie?
Old 11-11-2017, 12:20 PM   #3694
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Lol. Yeah the Flames are dying to trade arguably the best defenseman this org has had since the days of MacInnis for a small scoring winger who has one more point in two more games. Even if Marner were a future superstar, that trade doesn't remotely fit this organization's size MO under Burke. This is the same organization that thought Troy Brouwer was an upgrade on Jiri Hudler. The same organization that waived Paul Byron. The same organization that traded away Baertschi/Granlund for scraps instead of seeing what they could do with an opportunity. The same organization that force fed us Top 6 Forward Joe Colborne for three years. The same organization that let Gaudreau contract negotiations go to the final day of training camp and came out of it with only a six year deal instead of the 8 year deal that gave us the longest window to contend. The same organization that still hasn't signed arguably the best player in the WHL, their own prospect.

Gaudreau is great but predates Burke and the acquisition cost at the point of his signing was not a top pair defenseman, it was an ELC for a Hobey Baker winner. We are not about to flip Brodie for Mitch Marner if it is on the table. Knowing this org though they would mull over Brodie for JVR though.
This isn't remotely true. this is Trelviings team and any time someone uses Burke and his Truculence against an argument is grasping at straws.

Versteeg is here, many average sized players are here under Burke and his penchant for Truculence. You could negate Brouwers size and they'd still sign him as he was the best RW in the ufa market that year. And his resume despite his stint in CGY warranted taking a shot at him. Hindsight is always 20/20.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:20 PM   #3695
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
No, I say they hold roughly the same value. I certainly wouldn't trade either.
You said you'd literally trade anyone instead of Brodie not named Gaudreau.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 12:27 PM   #3696
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

One trade I could see happening would be Brodie for Mark Stone.

This is the last year of Stone's contract and I can't see Melnyk shelling out the ~7 million that he's worth to extend him. Thomas Chabot isn't looking quite as hot as everyone expected, so there's still a gap in Ottawa's top 4. Brodie has a very reasonable contract for another two years after this one and plays very similarly to Karlsson (though several notches below in skill level). This could allow Ottawa to almost always have a dynamic attacking defenseman available, which would let them play more up-tempo hockey. Dion Phaneuf and Cody Ceci are decent players, but they don't control the play like Brodie does.

For Calgary, Stone fills the biggest hole on this team and can dominate on any line. Kylington is NHL ready even if the coaches don't seem to think so and Kulak can survive in a top 4 role alongside a good defenseman like Hamonic. Valimaki will be pushing next year as well, though he could still be another year out. They have the cap space to extend Stone and need more forward firepower which Stone can provide.

Obviously with the way Stone has started the season, the Flames would likely add but by the end of the year/at the draft I feel like their values will be similar.

Either that or Dorion doesn't sign Stone and Brad steals him dougie style.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #3697
jayswin

Exp:

I betcha Ottawa will keep Mark Stone at pretty much any cost.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #3698
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Lol. Yeah the Flames are dying to trade arguably the best defenseman this org has had since the days of MacInnis for a small scoring winger who has one more point in two more games. Even if Marner were a future superstar, that trade doesn't remotely fit this organization's size MO under Burke. This is the same organization that thought Troy Brouwer was an upgrade on Jiri Hudler. The same organization that waived Paul Byron. The same organization that traded away Baertschi/Granlund for scraps instead of seeing what they could do with an opportunity. The same organization that force fed us Top 6 Forward Joe Colborne for three years.

Brouwer was an upgrade on Hudler given Jiri is out of the league entirely.
Baertschi was traded for a second
Granlund for a former first rounder
Hardly scraps
And you are slamming the organization for force feeding Colborne. It wasn’t this management for much of that and the current gm walked away from the player altogether
Just a complete misrepresentation of each situation.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 12:33 PM   #3699
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
One trade I could see happening would be Brodie for Mark Stone.

This is the last year of Stone's contract and I can't see Melnyk shelling out the ~7 million that he's worth to extend him. Thomas Chabot isn't looking quite as hot as everyone expected, so there's still a gap in Ottawa's top 4. Brodie has a very reasonable contract for another two years after this one and plays very similarly to Karlsson (though several notches below in skill level). This could allow Ottawa to almost always have a dynamic attacking defenseman available, which would let them play more up-tempo hockey. Dion Phaneuf and Cody Ceci are decent players, but they don't control the play like Brodie does.

For Calgary, Stone fills the biggest hole on this team and can dominate on any line. Kylington is NHL ready even if the coaches don't seem to think so and Kulak can survive in a top 4 role alongside a good defenseman like Hamonic. Valimaki will be pushing next year as well, though he could still be another year out. They have the cap space to extend Stone and need more forward firepower which Stone can provide.

Obviously with the way Stone has started the season, the Flames would likely add but by the end of the year/at the draft I feel like their values will be similar.

Either that or Dorion doesn't sign Stone and Brad steals him dougie style.
Yes but do we have room for Stones contract? We have to resign Backlund imo and need to be prepared for a similar deal for Tkachuk. That’s why I think if the team does end up moving one of the top 4 to make room for one of our prospects then itll have to be for a prospect/picks, which is why I like the idea of a salary controlled Brady Tkachuk. Unless we can magically get rid of Brouwers contract.
The Following User Says Thank You to jonkaupp For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 12:48 PM   #3700
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
The actual weird CP thing is that you can never have adult discussions about anything without everyone jumping in and getting upset and offended at even the possibility of anything happening.

Everyone gets emotional and doesn't even realize what's being said through their anger.

For example "Maybe we could be like Nashville and trade star for star because we may need to upgrade (NOT NOW!) in the future to take that next step"

returns a bunch of "HAHAHA you want to trade a good defenseman WHY???? Are you stupid?!" "and WHYYYYY do we want to trade such a good defenseman??!!" "You don't trade good players when you have them, why are Flames fans so STUPID this way?".

It's like all reading comprehension and ability to have polite, constructive discussion about things that don't have to actually happen because we're not the GM goes out the window when people's backs get up for no reason.
Thanks. Jesus it's annoying.

This time last year:

1. We didn't have Hamonic
2. We didn't have Stone
3. Andersson was a rookie in the AHL
4. Fox was a freshman in college

Andersson has since gone on to have a VERY strong AHL season, and has also looked great in a couple NHL games.

Fox has since gone on to have a historic season in the NCAA.

The Flames have also traded for Hamonic, and traded for and extended Stone.

If the two youngsters continue to impress, and Hamonic and Stone continue to show their abilities as very solid top 4 NHL Dmen throughout this season, it is very possible the Flames look to move a RHD for some top 6 help up front NEXT off season.

If they explore that possibility, they will find that Hamilton would bring back the best piece in return, and if they believe the trade makes the team better DESPITE losing Dougie they will consider pulling the trigger, without a doubt.

It's called dealing from a strength to address a weakness and make the team better.

It's not called trading away a good young top pairing Dman because we don't like him and/or we are stupid and don't know what we are doing.

Personally I don't WANT to see Dougie traded. I hope he's a Flames for 10 more years and wins multiple Cups here. But my biggest concern is the team itself, and if moving him down the road makes the team better and more likely to win a Cup the so be it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread