Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #1001
MoreDrank
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Slightly concerned about how easy the NCAA seems to be for Gaudreau at this point.

Don't want bad habits and complacency to set in.

Granted some NCAA teams are bad, but I think at this point if you are the Flames you want him to start playing a higher level of hockey as soon as possible.
I got impression from the comments that management made during the prospects camp that they really wanted him this year (READ: Begged him to go pro). The decision was up to him and he wanted to stay at BC for the reasons we all know.

As far as bad habits/complacency goes, if he's as competitive and creative as a hockey player as we hope, he'll find a way to step-up his game.
MoreDrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #1002
Mitch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I agree sureLoss but is he able to pull the same moves against the other top teams D? Army isn't exactly a high ranked team are they? He is scoring at 2 points per game right now though I believe.. so he must be consistent on the score sheet if nothing else.

He is able to both wrap up his degree this year AND play with his brother, two things he said he wanted to return to college to accomplish. All signs point to him turning pro in under 5 months..
Against teams strictly in Hockey East Conference, he has the highest PPG of any player... 6 points in 3 games. He seems to be doing well against all teams.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/conferenc...ast/2013-2014/
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #1003
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Slightly concerned about how easy the NCAA seems to be for Gaudreau at this point.

Don't want bad habits and complacency to set in.

Granted some NCAA teams are bad, but I think at this point if you are the Flames you want him to start playing a higher level of hockey as soon as possible.
Wonder if there is any chance at all he could pull a Kariya and sign midway through his season? I know Kariya was on the Olympic team and then just decided not to return to Maine, but I wonder if the Flames would want or even try to get him to leave during this season if he continues to show that he is this much more dominant than everyone else.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #1004
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Of course not every game is this easy, but he is simply too good for the NCAA now - he was the most talented player last year - and is now trying to go end to end on a regular basis (and usually does!)

The Flames need to get him out of there and into a higher league ASAP, which would mean at the end of this season.

Another year there would be detrimental to his development
I dunno did you read a different post then respond to mine? Nowhere did I say I was supporting him staying an additional year, I was simply talking about the reasoning behind him being there this year, and that I believe he will turn pro in the spring.. I don't think him being there for another 5 months is going to ruin his development. He is having fun and he earned this, in the spring he will get a taste of pro hockey and all will be well.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #1005
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Johnny skates through 3 defenders as if it is nothing

Old 11-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #1006
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I agree sureLoss but is he able to pull the same moves against the other top teams D? Army isn't exactly a high ranked team are they? He is scoring at 2 points per game right now though I believe.. so he must be consistent on the score sheet if nothing else.

He is able to both wrap up his degree this year AND play with his brother, two things he said he wanted to return to college to accomplish. All signs point to him turning pro in under 5 months..
He won't finish his degree this year, he still has a another year if he wants the degree.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #1007
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He won't finish his degree this year, he still has a another year if he wants the degree.
Depending on his course load, he could always do summer classes and graduate in the summer.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #1008
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Depending on his course load, he could always do summer classes and graduate in the summer.
Anyone know what kind of degree he's going for? If it's something without a huge course load, he might he able to finish this year. Still, he hasn't given any indication that he's going to forgo his last year of college.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #1009
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dont most athletes usually go for those generic "communications" degrees?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #1010
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
That might be difficult to guess, NCAA regulations only require a student athlete to finish 60% of their degree by the end of their third year.

He chould still have up to 40% of his courses remaining.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #1011
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
I seem to remember reading somewhere that he was a pretty crappy student. Hopefully he flunks out.
At this point, I think he could send a 40 year-old Japanese woman to take all of his tests, and I doubt anyone would even question it.

I'll ask the same question I asked about Gillies last week, how many prostitutes would you have to send to his dorm room before the NCAA ruled him ineligible to play?
Old 11-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #1012
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Anyone know what kind of degree he's going for? If it's something without a huge course load, he might he able to finish this year. Still, he hasn't given any indication that he's going to forgo his last year of college.
Got me curious

Gaudreau - Communications major
Arnold - Communications major
Jankowski - Management major
Gillies - Management major
Gilmour - no major declared
Harrison - undecided
Agostino - Political Science major
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #1013
megatron
First Line Centre

Exp:

Those goals are awesome. Seriously.

Quote:
Johnny skates through 3 defenders as if it is nothing

Old 11-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #1014
megatron
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Got me curious

Gaudreau - Communications major
Arnold - Communications major
Jankowski - Management major
Gillies - Management major
Gilmour - no major declared
Harrison - undecided
Agostino - Political Science major
No comp sci majors?
Old 11-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #1015
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Any real time link to those goals. Looks like keystone cops.
The whole game is archived here: http://www.bceagles.com/allaccess/?media=409881

The game starts about 30 minutes in. Johnny's first goal is around the 35:30 mark, and his second is at about 41:30.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #1016
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't Communications a major a lot of athletes take because it's easy?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #1017
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man lets get this kid to the flames ASAP.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #1018
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Johnny's been pretty much a Goal per game player, let alone point per game, since the WJCs last year. I'm gonna be getting aroused every damn game next season watching him do that stuff in Flames silks. TSN's going to need a "Best of Johnny" segment every week once he's in the bigs, with full reaction sound bits from the crew during every new clip. The collective drool from all corners of the league is going to be a thing of beauty.

On another note, I wonder if someday Arnold and Gaudreau could be linemates on the Flames. Seem to have developed some real chemistry together down there. Arnold seems to be fast enought to actually react and finish off Johnny's incredible plays and knows where to be. Maybe they could be a thing at the next level.. But of course he looked good with Monahan too in camps.

Last edited by djsFlames; 11-10-2013 at 11:17 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #1019
herashak
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
On another note, I wonder if someday Arnold and Gaudreau could be linemates on the Flames. Seem to have developed some real chemistry together down there. Arnold seems to be fast enought to react and finish off Johnny's incredible plays. Maybe they could be a thing at the next level.. But of course he looked good with Monahan too in camps.
yeah i was thinking, seeing how johnny is a top six guy and arnold is a bottom six guy at the next level. We could really spread the offense if he is getting shut down and game planned around in the top 6, just throw him down with arnold getting worse d pairings in a few years.
herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #1020
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
yeah i was thinking, seeing how johnny is a top six guy and arnold is a bottom six guy at the next level. We could really spread the offense if he is getting shut down and game planned around in the top 6, just throw him down with arnold getting worse d pairings in a few years.
Can't really put a cap like that on Arnold's potential this early. He's REALLY passed under the radar with this fanbase, and being in J.Hockey's shadow down there, but yeah I supposed he's most likely to top out as a 3C guy, but we should see how he looks playing pro hockey to get a better gauge on him. If Johnny becomes a full time NHLer, I expect it would mean that his skill/dangle game translates and he's a bonafide top 6 guy, so the only way he'd line up with Arnold would be if we implemented that kind of strategy or Bill steps up his game to another level. We've basically rolled 3 offensive lines since last season anyways. But I was just thinking about the probable chemistry the two have found playing with eachother 3 years. Arnold must be really familiar with how Johhny operates and has obviously learned how to compliment it now.

Last edited by djsFlames; 11-10-2013 at 11:40 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gaudreaumania