Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 09:08 PM   #1641
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
You are okay chasing Morgan Frost as the offensive centerpiece of a Gaudreau trade who is worth far more than the 1st+3rd compensation the offer sheet would cost. Cirelli has 94pts in 168 games yet he is more of a gamble than a guy with 7 in 20?
Actually, that was not the intent of the trade. There was no centerpiece player. The Philly trade was a sum of its parts, getting three players who can contribute immediately and fill in the gaps the team is missing (RW, C, and RD) and have significant pieces going forward, two cost controlled.

For comparison, Frost is a way better prospect with much greater upside than Cirelli. Cirelli's best junior year was draft +2 when he scored 25 goals and 64 points. His draft +1 he scored only 21 goals and 59 points. Conversely, in his draft +1 Frost scored 42 goals and 112 points. In his draft +2 he scored 37 goals and 109 points in nine less games. During Cirelli's first season in the pros he scored 14 goals and 37 points in 51 games (.274 GPG, .725 PPG), good for 6th on a strong Syracuse team (3rd in the AHL). During Frost's first pro season he scored 13 goals and 29 points in 41 games (.317 GPG, .707 PPG), good for 2nd in scoring on a weak Leigh Valley team (26th in the AHL). Frost has 1st line potential and is on the same level as Cozens. Not sure Cirelli is at that level.

Cirelli has done well for himself, but he is surrounded by talent that gives him incredible opportunities. I'm skeptical he would step in and do the same with less talent to work with and less talent in front of him. I'm not sure he's a $5.5-6M player. He's a guy I would be bridging for sure and making certain he can play at the level of that salary. There is just a lot of risk to offersheet a third line player and give him big money.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:26 PM   #1642
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

What Cirelli essentially does is make Backlund expendable. Monahan/Cirelli 1/2 punch is really good, and I think the complaints about Monahan would go away with Cirelli hitting the ice the shift after. That would be a lot for opposing teams to deal with. Cirelli brings the 'pain in the ass to play against' factor that Backlund doesn't, without losing the defensive accumen.

Can't believe tampa stumbled into Point and now Cirelli when no one was looking.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:34 PM   #1643
BrownDrake
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
You are not getting couturier for Johnny.
Johnny does have 40 more points than him in 200 less games played. Gaudreau likely goes at least second overall in a redraft of 2011. He is more of a game breaker than Couturier, is say Philly has to add to that trade.

I should say 3rd, forgot Schiefle was in that draft
At 600 games Johnny probably has 550 to 600 points which is about 150 ish ahead of the top group in that draft

Last edited by BrownDrake; 07-13-2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:36 PM   #1644
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
What Cirelli essentially does is make Backlund expendable. Monahan/Cirelli 1/2 punch is really good, and I think the complaints about Monahan would go away with Cirelli hitting the ice the shift after. That would be a lot for opposing teams to deal with. Cirelli brings the 'pain in the ass to play against' factor that Backlund doesn't, without losing the defensive accumen.

Can't believe tampa stumbled into Point and now Cirelli when no one was looking.
Only 2 of their top 7 scorers was drafted in the 1st round.

Kucherov (3rd)
Stamkos (1st)
Point (3rd)
Hedman (1st)
Killorn (3rd)
Palat (7th)

Yeah, I know cutting if off at the top 7 was convenient.

For reference, 4 of the Flames top 7 were drafted in the 1st round. Out of the Oilers top 8 scorers, 7 were drafted in the 1st round, James Neal being the only one that wasn't (drafted in the 2nd round at 33 overall)
Old 07-13-2020, 09:39 PM   #1645
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownDrake View Post
Johnny does have 40 more points than him in 200 less games played. Gaudreau likely goes at least second overall in a redraft of 2011. He is more of a game breaker than Couturier, is say Philly has to add to that trade.

Couturier is one of the top 3 200’ centers in the game. His contract is dirt cheap. Flames would be adding to get him . That said I can’t see philly trading him.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:42 PM   #1646
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Philly is loaded at centre and picturing Johnny on the wing, their forward group would look very scary.

Add in the cost and likelihood to re-sign.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:43 PM   #1647
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownDrake View Post
To go along with his incredible cap hit ($4.33M for 2 more seasons) and playing the more valuable position, Couturier has basically been point-per-game the last three seasons while being one of the absolute best defensive centers in the NHL and being an analytical monster.

There is no way Philadelphia trades him one for one as amazing as Gaudreau is.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:57 PM   #1648
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Buy me Bonestorm Konecny or go to hell!
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2020, 11:07 PM   #1649
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Buy me Bonestorm Konecny or go to hell!
Brink + Patrick would also make me happy
Old 07-13-2020, 11:26 PM   #1650
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah its frustrating to see teams swimming in C depth that they unearth in later rounds and we can't even get an NHL C from the 4th overall.

If the Flames lucked out and landed Cirelli I don't move Backlund because of it. I keep him too. Thats a pretty sweet 1-2-3 punch Backlund has a full NTC anyways for one more season. I would move him at that point maybe, if someone like Dube or Ruzicka has developed enough to force him out.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:50 PM   #1651
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
How could Patrick make you happy at this point in time? He's been out long enough where one has to wonder if his career might be over.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:51 PM   #1652
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bobby Brink does seem like a great prospect. The Flames have historically been great at developing that type of player.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:53 PM   #1653
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Patrick with his injury/concussion issues scares me as a return.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:17 AM   #1654
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would in nice to keep the Emilio Petterson/Bobby Brink connection alive. Pretty sure they play on the same line.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:25 AM   #1655
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I wonder if Pittsburgh deals Matt Murray to Ottawa. That's a move that makes a lot of sense to me given that Ottawa could use a long-term goalie to help with their up-and-coming rebuild. Pittsburgh probably wants to roll with Jarry and DeSmith in net.

I could see a move like Murray to Ottawa for Tierney and Logan Brown.

Old 07-14-2020, 12:35 AM   #1656
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I wonder if Pittsburgh deals Matt Murray to Ottawa. That's a move that makes a lot of sense to me given that Ottawa could use a long-term goalie to help with their up-and-coming rebuild. Pittsburgh probably wants to roll with Jarry and DeSmith in net.

I could see a move like Murray to Ottawa for Tierney and Logan Brown.
For some reason, I looked in the Ottawa 'goalie of the future' Filip Gustavsson, and although he was an absolute monster in Sweden, he has had a rough ride his first two seasons in North America.

Matt Murray signed for 4 or 5 years at a sub-5 million salary could be pretty shrewd. He had a pretty bad year, and might go for it.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:35 AM   #1657
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It would in nice to keep the Emilio Petterson/Bobby Brink connection alive. Pretty sure they play on the same line.
They started the season playing on the same line but didn't play with each other 5v5 for the large majority of the season
Old 07-14-2020, 12:37 AM   #1658
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
How could Patrick make you happy at this point in time? He's been out long enough where one has to wonder if his career might be over.
How? From a pure talent perspective he would be one of the best things to get out there. He has just as much of a chance at panning out than a high draft pick today.

Also, people are making too much of him not being on the roster for the playoffs. He didn't have a high probability of playing this year regardless. From what O have read the Flyers have had zero issue not rushing this and really were treating him like the Flames treated Valimaki. He's not playing. Yes Valimaki 9s skating and on the roster but its also good for his rehab. From all accounts Patrick is trending properly and positively. Flyers fully expect him to be goo to go next year.

And as someone who wants Patrick on this team I am fully aware of the buyer beware sticker on him, but its as good a risk as drafting a player IMO.

Fact is, is the Flames will do their due diligence and if he comes over in a deal he will play.

Plus in my mind, he's not coming over alone. There'll be insurance pieces.

Patrick, Frost/Brink etc and a Pick? Yeah I'd do it.

I've also said I do a deal for Patrick alone. That how highly I rate and value the player and skillset.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:47 AM   #1659
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you have to at least throw an offer sheet to one of the following:

Barzal (NYI)
Pulock (NYI)
Cirelli (TB)
Cernak (TB)

Both teams are going to have to make tough decisions. You could even throw in Sergachev of the Lightning too if you really wanted him. I think Cirelli or Cernak would be a better fit. The cheapest one of the bunch would be Cernak.

My order of preference: Cirelli (cheaper than Barzal) > Barzal > Cernak (also cheaper than Pulok) > Pulock
Old 07-14-2020, 07:05 AM   #1660
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I'd love to see a healthy Nolan Patrick on the Flames. The thing is, do they know how to fix his condition? Doesn't sound like it to me. Not yet at least. A star 21 year old misses an entire season due to a 'migraine disorder' that we've heard little about in terms of treatment or prognosis? Something seems hinky to me. Frankly, I'd look at someone else from Philly.
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread