Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2023, 11:19 AM   #1901
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Headed to Halifax tomorrow morning with my son for a hockey tournament. I love these trips with him. We have such a great time and I love watching him play I know these trips are starting to come to an end too. He's 14 and headed to U18 AAA next year and they will start travelling with the team instead of with parents.

We've travelled far and wide for hockey and have made some just exceptional friends along the way I'll miss it when its over

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TimSJ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 11:38 AM   #1902
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSJ View Post
Headed to Halifax tomorrow morning with my son for a hockey tournament. I love these trips with him. We have such a great time and I love watching him play I know these trips are starting to come to an end too. He's 14 and headed to U18 AAA next year and they will start travelling with the team instead of with parents.

We've travelled far and wide for hockey and have made some just exceptional friends along the way I'll miss it when its over
Hmmm, I hated that when my kids were in team sports. My son had the misfortune of being on a soccer team that made it to provincials. I couldn't believe how quickly a large chunk of the parents coalesced into a weird parental cult that revolved around 12-year-olds kicking a ball. Like, you weirdos. Did none of you have friends before this four-month season? And then of course you never see them again after the season is done because you had one thing in common that's now over.

Both my son and I were confused the whole time as to what was happening. Like, he was just in it because a girl he liked said she was into soccer so we signed him up. I was just there because I was his ride and liked watching him have fun. What a mistake. If you didn't jump into this cult they thought you were the strange one. That was a nightmare.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 12:06 PM   #1903
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Hmmm, I hated that when my kids were in team sports. My son had the misfortune of being on a soccer team that made it to provincials. I couldn't believe how quickly a large chunk of the parents coalesced into a weird parental cult that revolved around 12-year-olds kicking a ball. Like, you weirdos. Did none of you have friends before this four-month season? And then of course you never see them again after the season is done because you had one thing in common that's now over.

Both my son and I were confused the whole time as to what was happening. Like, he was just in it because a girl he liked said she was into soccer so we signed him up. I was just there because I was his ride and liked watching him have fun. What a mistake. If you didn't jump into this cult they thought you were the strange one. That was a nightmare.
Ha ha ha ha. Post of 2023 so far.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 01:37 PM   #1904
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is philosopher-level brilliance. Holy ####.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 01:44 PM   #1905
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I truck through my thirties and I've started to address some of my underlying mental health problems, I'm completely coming around to Sliver's point of view.

So much of life's troubles are self-inflicted.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 02:06 PM   #1906
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bizarre as it sounds there are some parts of the post I can relate with. I love sports but I just don't get soccer. No amount of watching it has changed the fact that watching soccer to me looks like watching paint dry. My youngest boy played soccer for four years and while I have no problems watching my boy play I had much more fun watching him play football or lacrosse. I could tell that a lot of parents were soccer fans and I just didn't fit into the soccer culture so it was the one kids sport where I felt like an outsider of a parent.
Old 01-10-2023, 02:14 PM   #1907
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching kids play soccer if the worst punishment in the world . No wait - watching kids play baseball is
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 02:15 PM   #1908
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Watching kids play soccer if the worst punishment in the world . No wait - watching kids play baseball is
I'm still sad my boys didn't play baseball. Is it me or is it not as popular to play with kids these days?
Old 01-10-2023, 02:19 PM   #1909
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm still sad my boys didn't play baseball. Is it me or is it not as popular to play with kids these days?
The appeal of soccer is that it is cheap. Baseball, while not as costly as hockey is still pretty expensive.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 02:25 PM   #1910
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
The appeal of soccer is that it is cheap. Baseball, while not as costly as hockey is still pretty expensive.
And ####ing horrible.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 03:19 PM   #1911
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Baseball is the best spectator sport played by amateurs.
Old 01-11-2023, 12:51 PM   #1912
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

man soccer sucks balls

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 12:53 PM   #1913
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Watching soccer if is the worst punishment in the world .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
There are other cheap, better sports.

For example Rugby.

My boy just made a U18 team, is has just turned 17 yesterday & is off to a tournament in Mulletville (boo). The cost all in, bus/hotel/meals is $300 for a tournament that runs Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

AAAAAAAnd it is fun to watch

Quote:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2023, 01:18 PM   #1914
Guest1

Could be worse... you could be at a stinking hot pool and sitting on hard benches just to watch a race that could last no more than 30 seconds (or if you're reeeeeeally lucky you could get to watch the 1500 for a boring to some 18+ minutes of back and forth)
My daughter quit swimming last year because of a coaching issue and I would give anything to see her race again. Swim meets make me happy
But now she is focusing on soccer, which is her dad's sport. While I do enjoy watching her play, I do see Sliver's point. But I also see it in other sports (including swimming) as well. There are crazy parents in every sport.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 06:42 PM   #1915
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife is 5 months pregnant and healthy with our perfect little baby boy (our first) and she loves me enough to let me go on a 2 day ice fishing trip with the boys this weekend.

Things are pretty great
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2023, 09:09 AM   #1916
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
My wife is 5 months pregnant and healthy with our perfect little baby boy (our first) and she loves me enough to let me go on a 2 day ice fishing trip with the boys this weekend.

Things are pretty great
Enjoy, dude. Your life is going to be a mfing sleepless nightmare soon enough.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2023, 09:56 AM   #1917
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Things are pretty great
It's soon going to be a workout that never ends and a jet lag that doesn't go away.

I kid, I kid. It only lasts around 18-20 years from what I hear.

The thing about sleep deprivation though, when things are awesome, they're occasionally a special level of euphoric.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 11:07 AM   #1918
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Things are pretty great
Quote:
Enjoy, dude. Your life is going to be a mfing sleepless nightmare soon enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
It's soon going to be a workout that never ends and a jet lag that doesn't go away.

I kid, I kid. It only lasts around 18-20 years from what I hear.

The thing about sleep deprivation though, when things are awesome, they're occasionally a special level of euphoric.
PB14 don't listen to these negative nellies.

Enjoy all aspects of parenting and having a new child. I didn't appreciate it enough when I was in the middle of it.

If I was to give you advice it would be:

1 - There will be difficult times, but remember nothing lasts forever.
2 - drown them with love, even when they make it difficult.

have fun!

Quote:
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2023, 07:19 PM   #1919
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cranking some Isaac Hayes tunes at home.
Making sure the wife hears it.

Try it.
It’ll spark some conversation
And laughs. Maybe.
Who needs Netflix.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2023, 12:08 PM   #1920
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife and I firmly committed to actually holding a New Year’s Resolution of being much healthier. Reduced probably 90-95% of our sugar, way lower carbs, healthy eating, no snacking, no alcohol, starting to exercise more — and we’re actually sticking to it. First 10 days or so were very difficult, like a shock to the system.

But now I’m starting to feel a lot more normal. And I hit a big milestone — already down 10 lbs! Very motivated to keep it up

Edit: forgot to add that my wife is down 7lbs too, which percentage wise is actually a little more than me, so we’re both pleased!

Last edited by OutOfTheCube; 01-22-2023 at 07:58 PM.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post: