Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Ivrnet

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2019, 04:19 PM   #3121
agulati
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I don't know how valid a 10 year old study/plan will be for the actual project. It definitely is an excellent resource, but once the project is a go, I'm sure the construction bidders/city/province will want as updated a study as possible.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #3122
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

My understanding when that was done was that they wanted planning to be far enough along that when funding was available it was not going to have to go back to square one.
__________________
Air Canada - We're not happy until you're not happy.
Telus - Almost as bad as Winnipeg.
Calgary Roads Dept - Ya, we'll get to that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 05:21 PM   #3123
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster
 
Mazrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Gary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
I don't know how valid a 10 year old study/plan will be for the actual project. It definitely is an excellent resource, but once the project is a go, I'm sure the construction bidders/city/province will want as updated a study as possible.
Taking a project off the shelf is a lot of work, regardless of how complete it was when it was shelved. Rest assured at this point, some of the decision making would be re-thought to further optimize the designs. Any approvals with utilities or environmental regulations would need to be redone. It can be a lot of rework.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:32 PM   #3124
Ironhorse
Franchise Player
 
Ironhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Watch SNC Lavalin get the engineering and construction contract...
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:33 PM   #3125
powderjunkie
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Exp:
Default

In my Sim-City Fantasy land I've always thought doing something with the southern section of Barlow Trail like an elevated toll free-way would be a great way to mitigate this. More expensive, but with some revenue recovery, and without the decade long headache that will be involved in upgrading two river crossings and the Glenmore nightmare.

Is there any chance they're able to widen Peigan Trail and kill a light or two to help get more people out to the Ring Road?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:21 PM   #3126
4X4
One of the Nine
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Exp:
Default

Widening Peigan is such a no-brainer, I can't believe it hasn't happened yet. It's one lane each direction, except at lights, yet it's connected to Stoney AND Deerfoot. If a road is connected to Stoney, there should be standards. 53' trucks pulling off 52nd should not be the pacesetters for the whole stretch, and vice versa between 52nd and 36th. It's pretty pathetic, actually.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 06:32 AM   #3127
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Taking a project off the shelf is a lot of work, regardless of how complete it was when it was shelved. Rest assured at this point, some of the decision making would be re-thought to further optimize the designs. Any approvals with utilities or environmental regulations would need to be redone. It can be a lot of rework.
Ok, and Iím no expert so I trust the experts on these things, but is it seriously 4 years of work? That seems laughable. Surely they could prioritize one interchange, take a year and get that started or something like that? Like I say, I donít know, but it sure feels like a long time to rework things and get shovels in the ground.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:07 AM   #3128
Tyler
Franchise Player
 
Tyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Ok, and I’m no expert so I trust the experts on these things, but is it seriously 4 years of work? That seems laughable. Surely they could prioritize one interchange, take a year and get that started or something like that? Like I say, I don’t know, but it sure feels like a long time to rework things and get shovels in the ground.
Financially, they're probably pretty tapped paying for the Ring Road. This is likely around when that projects are complete and money is freed-up
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #3129
Lubicon
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
In my Sim-City Fantasy land I've always thought doing something with the southern section of Barlow Trail like an elevated toll free-way would be a great way to mitigate this. More expensive, but with some revenue recovery, and without the decade long headache that will be involved in upgrading two river crossings and the Glenmore nightmare.

Is there any chance they're able to widen Peigan Trail and kill a light or two to help get more people out to the Ring Road?
If by 'they' you mean the Province then the answer is no. If by 'they' you mean the City then this should totally be a priority. Simple and easy to do, the right of way is there and there would be little impact on existing traffic. They could probably do this one in a single construction season.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 01:10 PM   #3130
powderjunkie
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Ok, and Iím no expert so I trust the experts on these things, but is it seriously 4 years of work? That seems laughable. Surely they could prioritize one interchange, take a year and get that started or something like that? Like I say, I donít know, but it sure feels like a long time to rework things and get shovels in the ground.
The start date doesn't matter nearly as much as the end date (or more specifically, the total project time). I'm fine with delayed start if it means the whole thing takes 3 summers instead of 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
If by 'they' you mean the Province then the answer is no. If by 'they' you mean the City then this should totally be a priority. Simple and easy to do, the right of way is there and there would be little impact on existing traffic. They could probably do this one in a single construction season.
Great point, it's so easy to forget when looking at Deerfoot in the heart of the city. Perhaps/hopefully the long lead time is also to give the city time to do some upgrades/preparations in advance of this disruption.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #3131
Lubicon
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Exp:
Default

Lost in all the excitement of the West RR and SW RR this announcement has largely gone un-noticed. New interchange to be built at 14 St NW. If this goes like the one they did at Centre Street there should be very little disruption on Stoney itself and goes to show the benefit of some advance planning. Of interest is there will not be traffic lights along 14 St to control the intersections but rather traffic circles. That part of the project is a City project however. Interesting concept and i will be curious to see how it works.

https://www.calgary.ca/Transportatio...-14-St-NW.aspx
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 02:13 PM   #3132
TorqueDog
#1 Goaltender
 
TorqueDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Lost in all the excitement of the West RR and SW RR this announcement has largely gone un-noticed. New interchange to be built at 14 St NW. If this goes like the one they did at Centre Street there should be very little disruption on Stoney itself and goes to show the benefit of some advance planning. Of interest is there will not be traffic lights along 14 St to control the intersections but rather traffic circles. That part of the project is a City project however. Interesting concept and i will be curious to see how it works.

https://www.calgary.ca/Transportatio...-14-St-NW.aspx
Oh yeah, that useless part of 14 Street NW that confused the hell out of me when Stoney first opened. "Oh sweet, I can exit to 14th from here and get back to downtown!" Noooope.

They should have called it something else like Evanorama Hillston Blvd NW or something similarly community themed.
__________________
If the Flames are playing, GO FLAMES GO.
If the Jets are playing, GO JE-... nm, ғ**ĸ the Jets.
GO FLAMES GO.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 02:13 PM   #3133
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player
 
Jimmy Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Lost in all the excitement of the West RR and SW RR this announcement has largely gone un-noticed. New interchange to be built at 14 St NW. If this goes like the one they did at Centre Street there should be very little disruption on Stoney itself and goes to show the benefit of some advance planning. Of interest is there will not be traffic lights along 14 St to control the intersections but rather traffic circles. That part of the project is a City project however. Interesting concept and i will be curious to see how it works.

https://www.calgary.ca/Transportatio...-14-St-NW.aspx
My sister-in-law lives in Evanston, so this will come in handy. Both for access to/from Stoney, but also getting across Stoney to the businesses in Panorama. I think that the roundabouts, if you can call them that, will be just fine there.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:32 PM   #3134
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sector 7-G
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Oh yeah, that useless part of 14 Street NW that confused the hell out of me when Stoney first opened. "Oh sweet, I can exit to 14th from here and get back to downtown!" Noooope.

They should have called it something else like Evanorama Hillston Blvd NW or something similarly community themed.
The NW has a fine tradition of seemingly contiguous, yet totally not, major thoroughfares.
__________________
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:37 PM   #3135
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player
 
Jimmy Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
The NW has a fine tradition of seemingly contiguous, yet totally not, major thoroughfares.


I Sarcee what you did there.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 08:41 PM   #3136
Ducay
Franchise Player
 
Ducay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Exp:
Default

Is that the Stoney interchange that has all the ramps & earthworks done, but everything is just grassed over? Just before Deerfoot

Edit: nope, looks like they did a similar thing in building the cloverleaf/crossing earthworks at 14th as well.

Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:42 PM   #3137
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sector 7-G
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I Sarcee what you did there.
Well......Bowness points for you...
__________________
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 09:25 PM   #3138
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Well......Bowness points for you...
I suppose you haven't been to the eastern quadrants, as that's Barlow you.
__________________
Air Canada - We're not happy until you're not happy.
Telus - Almost as bad as Winnipeg.
Calgary Roads Dept - Ya, we'll get to that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 09:55 PM   #3139
powderjunkie
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Exp:
Default

TIL 14 street arbitrarily starts and stops in the north, just like in the south.

Sarcee Trail, Barlow Trail, 37 St SW, I'm sure there are a few other prominent ones? Is Calgary somewhat unique in this regard?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:02 PM   #3140
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Centre street, too. I think it has at least 5 segments. Five!
__________________
Air Canada - We're not happy until you're not happy.
Telus - Almost as bad as Winnipeg.
Calgary Roads Dept - Ya, we'll get to that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:40 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016