Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-15-2019, 04:52 PM   #1281
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
I don't have to wash quite that often, but I do like to keep it clean and presentable. Doesn't it make you laugh when you stop for gas, and the pump tries to sell you a $14.99 touchless car wash?
Oh yeah, and there's always a line anyway so I wouldn't use it if it was free.

And I drive a Dodge. I know where dirt gets in between the panels. Touchless never gets it totally clean.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #1282
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
What if you don't even bother rinsing under there? Do you think it would cause problems?
I don't do much in the summer, but I try my best in the winter to get the salt off. My truck is bad for having slush pockets that hold ice, dirt and salt. Sometimes gravel...But no matter what I think it's a good idea to try to get as much salt off as you can.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #1283
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suppose if the "wax" is high pressure its not much diff from using the rinse option, but lets not kid ourselves, this isn't a real wax or sealant, nor should it be expected to be as such. If there was any sort of "miracle" sealant that sprayed on like that, it would be commonplace.

Sure there are spray on SiO2 (Silica dioxide) sealants that are common in the detailing industry, but they are expensive and definitely would not be pumped out at that volume or that price, so really, you're probably just getting high pressure water with something akin to RainX diluted to the Nth degree. So definitely doesn't replace properly wax/sealing your vehicle.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:04 PM   #1284
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The one I go to you know when the "wax" starts flowing. Shortly after the water beads off. So it's got something in there...I guess that would probably be fine to do the undercarriage with.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:09 PM   #1285
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I suppose if the "wax" is high pressure its not much diff from using the rinse option, but lets not kid ourselves, this isn't a real wax or sealant, nor should it be expected to be as such. If there was any sort of "miracle" sealant that sprayed on like that, it would be commonplace.

Sure there are spray on SiO2 (Silica dioxide) sealants that are common in the detailing industry, but they are expensive and definitely would not be pumped out at that volume or that price, so really, you're probably just getting high pressure water with something akin to RainX diluted to the Nth degree. So definitely doesn't replace properly wax/sealing your vehicle.
Well yeah, it's not the same as a karate kid wax job, but it's got something in it that makes the water bead off. Point is, some people think that they have to use straight up water (and spend an extra 2 minutes) washing off the soap, before they switch to high pressure wax. I'm saying that's just a waste of time and money, as well as my time, waiting behind you in line.

Also, the foam brush is a scam. HP soap x2, then rinse with HP wax. That's how a DIY car wash should go. It's like 7 minutes for a road salty/silty/dirty full sized truck.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 05:16 PM   #1286
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The one time every month or two I get my car washed I just go through one of the automatic ones that does it for me.

Y'all are wasting a lot of water.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:30 PM   #1287
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
The one time every month or two I get my car washed I just go through one of the automatic ones that does it for me.

Ooh. We have an internet preacher that does not know that some people actually have to do a lot of driving, and therefore their vehicles get way dirtier, way quicker. I'm sure it's nice to merely drive to the LRT and park while it's still frozen, and then drive home after the roads have been dried up by the daytime sun. I bet washing once every month or two works for you. Guess what? Some people clock 100-200km per day.

Do you also talk down to families with more children for washing more dishes? Shut your yap.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #1288
OMG!WTF!
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Ooh. We have an internet preacher that does not know that some people actually have to do a lot of driving, and therefore their vehicles get way dirtier, way quicker. I'm sure it's nice to merely drive to the LRT and park while it's still frozen, and then drive home after the roads have been dried up by the daytime sun. I bet washing once every month or two works for you. Guess what? Some people clock 100-200km per day.

Do you also talk down to families with more children for washing more dishes? Shut your yap.

And now you're wasting gas? Gawd man!
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #1289
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well yeah, it's not the same as a karate kid wax job, but it's got something in it that makes the water bead off. Point is, some people think that they have to use straight up water (and spend an extra 2 minutes) washing off the soap, before they switch to high pressure wax. I'm saying that's just a waste of time and money, as well as my time, waiting behind you in line.

Also, the foam brush is a scam. HP soap x2, then rinse with HP wax. That's how a DIY car wash should go. It's like 7 minutes for a road salty/silty/dirty full sized truck.

Don’t pay for the foam brush. Use it for free after your have a good amount of soap on the car from the HP soap. Once it expires use the foam brush and after that rinse with the wax.

I know there are arguments against using the foam brush cause of debris, but if your paint job is already full of micro-scratches, who cares.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:49 PM   #1290
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The foam brush is great for people that hate their cars. I cry a little inside when a see a person in a car was with a new car using the brush on their paint.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 06:02 PM   #1291
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

All this talk of cleaning cars - does anyone have a good resource to show someone how to buff out small scratches, then how to wax a car? I've never done more than use one of those wand places...
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:04 PM   #1292
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I mean I get it, a lot of truck drivers have delicate masculinity to begin with so it's easy to see how a little dirt and grime must be utterly intolerable.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:46 PM   #1293
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wash my vehicles when they get dirty. Sometimes it's twice a day, sometimes it's twice a month.

Quote:
I mean I get it, a lot of truck drivers have delicate masculinity to begin with so it's easy to see how a little dirt and grime must be utterly intolerable.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:19 PM   #1294
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Lol, what? Having to visit multiple sites daily, and therefore driving way more than the average commuter is a truck guy thing? Go play with your hamsters.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:44 PM   #1295
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
All this talk of cleaning cars - does anyone have a good resource to show someone how to buff out small scratches, then how to wax a car? I've never done more than use one of those wand places...
Go to YouTube. Chemical guys channel is one I like, they do push thier products, but it is to be expected.

The Dallas paint correction guy is alright, but I find the way he talks annoying.

There are dozens of others out there.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:21 PM   #1296
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:

The automatics are the biggest scams out there. They do a horrible job of getting all the dirt and grime off your vehicle and the price you have to pay is criminal. A wand wash will do a far better job and at half the price.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:04 PM   #1297
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
Junkman 2000 for the win.

He has made lots of really informative videos on the subject.

Check him out.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Junkman2000

1st part in the series on polishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP-eAddv2sk
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:31 PM   #1298
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
The automatics are the biggest scams out there. They do a horrible job of getting all the dirt and grime off your vehicle and the price you have to pay is criminal. A wand wash will do a far better job and at half the price.
They are only good when your car is dusty or lightly dirty in the summer. I feel the CO-OP ones do a decent job even the best automatic car washes are not great for cleaning winter dirty cars.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:54 PM   #1299
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Lots of water moving in the afternoons now. Perfect for taking the boy out and racing sticks and seeds in the melt water channels. One of my favorite things to do this time of year!

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 05:21 PM   #1300
Ped
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Lots of water moving in the afternoons now. Perfect for taking the boy out and racing sticks and seeds in the melt water channels. One of my favorite things to do this time of year!

For a moment I was wondering why you were posting this in the car wash thread and then I remembered it was originally the weather thread.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote