Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-29-2018, 04:55 PM   #141
Aleks
Scoring Winger
 
Aleks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Exp:
Default

I have Eternal, it was like $7 when I had a 1 or 3 connection before, but now I rock a 5 connection, yearly pay and then split it with my sister and her husband, so half of $90USD. Have no complaints, but its difficult getting subs

Edit: added photo of quality on a 65" tv. Not sure if Tapatalk will dump the quality of it

Edit2: it did.
__________________
In case of hurt feelings, please visit You are Not Alone forums

Last edited by Aleks; 10-29-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:45 AM   #142
dino7c
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
I have Eternal, it was like $7 when I had a 1 or 3 connection before, but now I rock a 5 connection, yearly pay and then split it with my sister and her husband, so half of $90USD. Have no complaints, but its difficult getting subs

Edit: added photo of quality on a 65" tv. Not sure if Tapatalk will dump the quality of it

Edit2: it did.
So an illegal stream you split with someone...

Not really a fair comparison with a legit service...and it's iptv, might look "fine" but reliability and quality takes a hit for sure.

If it works for you that's great
__________________
#MakeTheFlamesGreatAgain
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:50 PM   #143
Aleks
Scoring Winger
 
Aleks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
So an illegal stream you split with someone...

Not really a fair comparison with a legit service...and it's iptv, might look "fine" but reliability and quality takes a hit for sure.

If it works for you that's great
Yah, I never once said it was a legal stream. And frankly, its grey market as ad revenue pays for the content. You pay the cable company for distribution, and still have to watch the ads, so I guess I'm winning. I ran IPTV side by side with my Shaw account back when I was still paying for TV, to test reliability. I realized I didn't need to watch real housewives and nitpik about true HD. You're kind of being a snob here, over frickin cable. More $$ in my pocket while you get bent over. The service I use has been high enough quality to convert nearly every single person that's watched it with me, or at work, with not a single comment on quality
__________________
In case of hurt feelings, please visit You are Not Alone forums
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:25 PM   #144
dino7c
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Yah, I never once said it was a legal stream. And frankly, its grey market as ad revenue pays for the content. You pay the cable company for distribution, and still have to watch the ads, so I guess I'm winning. I ran IPTV side by side with my Shaw account back when I was still paying for TV, to test reliability. I realized I didn't need to watch real housewives and nitpik about true HD. You're kind of being a snob here, over frickin cable. More $$ in my pocket while you get bent over. The service I use has been high enough quality to convert nearly every single person that's watched it with me, or at work, with not a single comment on quality
Some people have higher standards for sports viewing...you get what you pay for.
__________________
#MakeTheFlamesGreatAgain
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:35 PM   #145
Aleks
Scoring Winger
 
Aleks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Some people have higher standards for sports viewing...you get what you pay for.
Keep forming an opinion without actually even seeing it. Are you one of those guys who online reviews products based on what you think of it, even though you've never tried it? You don't even know what you're talking about
__________________
In case of hurt feelings, please visit You are Not Alone forums
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:18 AM   #146
dino7c
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Keep forming an opinion without actually even seeing it. Are you one of those guys who online reviews products based on what you think of it, even though you've never tried it? You don't even know what you're talking about
I've seen the best streams...where do you think these feeds are coming from? They are re-streaming legit sources. Anyway it is what it is...there is a downgrade, people can decide themselves if it's worth the cost savings.

You can negotiate with either of these companies and get a decent package for slightly more money than the high end internet packages alone. You also have access to SN Now and TSN whatever included.

Again if you are happy with it that's great, just giving the facts for people that may be on the fence.

This is sports only...you can download/stream any show at top quality for free, a live stream is a different ball game.
__________________
#MakeTheFlamesGreatAgain
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:38 PM   #147
Aleks
Scoring Winger
 
Aleks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Exp:
Default

Nice anecdote, but sorry you're still basing your opinion on not seeing whats on my TV, therefore its irrelevant. Telus is IPTV and compressed their streams all the time, I remember that clearly when I had their service. Shaw was compressing theirs as well on numerous channels. If you think you're getting "true full HD", you won't be unless you're getting it on a stored data source locally read. All streamed data, transmitted to your cable box is encoded, encoding and compression results in loss. Either way, we are going in circles here, if you've got Shaw or Telus, I've had both on my current setup, and I've seen and compared. You don't have my service so you can't comment other then anecdotally and without any validity, so just give it up.

My internet costs $60/month, I have had negotiated channel packages, and they still cost much more than what I'm paying. I cancelled early, paid a penalty, got a better deal on internet and came out way ahead. Shaw advertises "limited" TV at a regular rate of $120/mo with internet and 28 channels. Promo rates don't count, those are just to get you signed up. By their site I calculate on the packages alone its $131 just to add the channels I currently get (but I get 4x as much) to the base TV package with internet. If you honestly feel that its worth paying that much to Shaw or Telus for marginally different (or better as you seem to feel) service, please spend away. I spoke with my wallet and was unhappy with the service and cost provided, and until they offer reasonably priced a la carte service there isn't a chance I'll be back.

I can bring TV with me anywhere I travel, I can watch it on my phone (without georestriction), I have the exact same interface as a cable box with EPG and information, I have every single movie channel, NHL, NFL, NBA, MLB, you name a network or channel, international or otherwise and its there. This isn't some dark age in IPTV. Sure some of the players in the game might be shady, but someone has to give cable something to think about.

Now that we are far enough off topic, I'll still say Shaw wins just because of Shaw Open sites being more accessible in more places. Bringing it back
__________________
In case of hurt feelings, please visit You are Not Alone forums
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:31 PM   #148
dino7c
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Loll why bother...you want to think your grey market service that is re-streaming legit sources isn't suffering any kind of quality or reliability hit than so be it.

Live sports is all I am talking about...tv shows or movies you can get free I wouldn't advocate paying extra for any of those.

Also, if you like game threads streaming isn't good because of delays. Just some facts for anyone weighing the pros and cons. Not trying to convince anyone happy with their current setup.

Telus and Shaw both give you access to Sportsnet/tsn streaming services assuming you have those channels. Good for when you have to catch a game on your phone.

Bottom line, between Telus and Shaw just go with whoever gives you the best deal.
__________________
#MakeTheFlamesGreatAgain

Last edited by dino7c; 10-31-2018 at 04:52 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:49 PM   #149
keratosis
First Line Centre
 
keratosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Not sure
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Lol why bother...you want to think your grey market service that is re-streaming legit sources isn't suffering any kind of quality or reliability hit than so be it.
He's happy with it, in the big picture does it really matter?
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by Bingo.
Maybe he hates cowboy boots.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:00 PM   #150
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day
 
jayswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Will Telus generally give existing customers the new customer bundle deals if you're leaving otherwise?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:13 PM   #151
Weitz
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Will Telus generally give existing customers the new customer bundle deals if you're leaving otherwise?
Were moving this weekend and my wife tried that and badgered and complained hoping they would do something saying we would go to Shaw if not etc..

They wouldn't budge. Dropped a bit but not enough. So I opened an account in my name with the new bundle and she will cancel hers when we move since we didn't actually want to go to Shaw. I've heard conflicting reports through where some people were successful though.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2019, 04:27 PM   #152
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day
 
jayswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Were moving this weekend and my wife tried that and badgered and complained hoping they would do something saying we would go to Shaw if not etc..

They wouldn't budge. Dropped a bit but not enough. So I opened an account in my name with the new bundle and she will cancel hers when we move since we didn't actually want to go to Shaw. I've heard conflicting reports through where some people were successful though.
How much did they offer off?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:35 PM   #153
Weitz
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
How much did they offer off?
I think she got it down to $120 or so for essentials + pick 6 with 150/150 internet for 6 months then back to the 160 or so it was.

But we got the same tv with 300/300 for $105 for 6 months then 135 for 18 months after I think.

Rough numbers from what i can remember.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 11:45 AM   #154
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback
 
moncton golden flames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Exp:
Default

i just got telus purefibre and have experienced great speed. also getting it for only $10/mth keeps my expectations tempered.
__________________

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:40 PM   #155
Tyler
Franchise Player
 
Tyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

I'm moving to a new community and they have one of those 1 year free for Telus or Shaw. I'm currently with Telus and really don't want to move, but I'll probably save quite a bit of money the first year. Thoughts?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:33 PM   #156
White Out 403
Franchise Player
 
White Out 403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I'm moving to a new community and they have one of those 1 year free for Telus or Shaw. I'm currently with Telus and really don't want to move, but I'll probably save quite a bit of money the first year. Thoughts?
Why not take the free Telus?
__________________
Maya Angelou sucks.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:02 AM   #157
Tyler
Franchise Player
 
Tyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Why not take the free Telus?
Pretty sure you need to be a 'new' customer
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:44 PM   #158
White Out 403
Franchise Player
 
White Out 403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Pretty sure you need to be a 'new' customer
No. Just call.
__________________
Maya Angelou sucks.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:06 PM   #159
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy
 
ken0042's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:
Default

When I moved I was given 1 free year of Shaw. I paid Telus something like $7 per month to keep my email addresses.

But I agree to call, if you tell them you have the option of a free year of Shaw, they would want to keep you as a customer instead of losing you.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 05:30 PM   #160
Tyler
Franchise Player
 
Tyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Good news!

Quote:
Thank you for contacting TELUS via e-mail. We regret the delay in our response.



I understand your concern. To answer your question, Yes it is available for existing customer moving to another location provided that the address is qualified to the offer. It is also available only to the first occupant of each suite of the building, regardless of wether you are the owner or the renter.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:45 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016