Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-15-2019, 08:40 PM   #2821
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

In the last election I had Jonathon Dennis running in my riding, a NDP candidate that really didn't make an impression and isn't running again. A Alberta Party candidate who really didn't make an impression because I can't remember receiving anything in the mail or a door knock or anything.


I couldn't vote for Dennis because he was a un repentent Redford screaming yoddle, and was under suspicion of domestic assault and had changed the legal limit law to the current stupid one, because I couldn't vote for him, I couldn't vote for the NDP candidate because she didn't resonate and I really didn't believe in the NDP platform. Didn't know enough about the Alberta Party.


The shame is that I couldn't vote for the communist party candidate because I firmly believe that a communist party member shouldn't be running in an election they should be conspiring to overthrow the government and then execute all of the rich land owners.


I actually honestly spoiled my ballot in the last election because the choices were so pathetic.
__________________
Passion is the source of our finest moments; the joy of love, the clarity of hatred, and the ecstasy of grief.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 08:50 PM   #2822
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant
 
PepsiFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I actually honestly spoiled my ballot in the last election because the choices were so pathetic.
Itís a shame more people donít realise that you donít actually have to vote in a leader or an MLA you donít like.

There are, in fact, options outside of ďUCP OR NDP,Ē and those options include spoiling your ballot when the choices suck.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:55 PM   #2823
transplant99
Fearmongerer
 
transplant99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Why don't you just come out and say it. I'm an open minded kind of guy and I'll vote for anyone, as long as they are not a Liberal, NDP, or Alberta Party candidate.
I already made it quite clear who i am voting for.

What's your made up angle now?
__________________
Quote:
Tkachuk is more like Marchand than the other guys though. He's really ****ing good. He's just a total butthole.
Unknown Kings fan
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:21 PM   #2824
8 Ball
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
A lot of people canít see past the leader of the party. Partly why people are so shocked about Trump winning. I may despise Kenny and everything but if I vote ucp it doesnít mean I support him. I support the polices of the party. I donít support essentially anything the NDP stands for so how would I vote for them even if I hate Kenny?

In the USA how do you expect someone who supports republican polices but hates trump to vote anyone but trump? Itís the nature of the system.
I think Canadians should try to ignore US politics. I know itís hard, but frankly itís embarrassing. Canadians should quit worrying about what their big brother to the south are doing, and consintrate on #### that is relevant here.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 09:24 PM   #2825
8 Ball
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Itís a shame more people donít realise that you donít actually have to vote in a leader or an MLA you donít like.

There are, in fact, options outside of ďUCP OR NDP,Ē and those options include spoiling your ballot when the choices suck.
Whatís the point of that?
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:36 PM   #2826
Joborule
Franchise Player
 
Joborule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

You might as well not vote if you're going to spoil your ballot. Why waste time?
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:46 PM   #2827
rubecube
Franchise Player
 
rubecube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
A lot of people canít see past the leader of the party. Partly why people are so shocked about Trump winning. I may despise Kenny and everything but if I vote ucp it doesnít mean I support him. I support the polices of the party. I donít support essentially anything the NDP stands for so how would I vote for them even if I hate Kenny?
Fair enough, but doesn't that mean you just support a party that supports a crooked leader? My point was more pointing out the hypocrisy of UCP supporters scolding Liberal supporters for continuing to support the party despite the allegations at Trudeau, and then turning around and having no problem doing the same for the UCP and Kenny.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:49 PM   #2828
Dion
Not a casual user
 
Dion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: A simple man leading a complicated life....
Exp:
Default

https://twitter.com/statuses/1106636180492304384
__________________
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:50 PM   #2829
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

I think the thing missing in the Kenny scandal is Kenny supplying the money for the illegal donations tomade to the kamakazi campaign.

If Kenny and Callaway got together to plan the kamakazi campaign and that is the extent to it I don’t think that is disqualifying.

If Kenny is part of the cover up or the illegal donations I don’t know how anyone can consider voting for him.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:53 PM   #2830
Dion
Not a casual user
 
Dion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: A simple man leading a complicated life....
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think the thing missing in the Kenny scandal is Kenny supplying the money for the illegal donations tomade to the kamakazi campaign.

If Kenny and Callaway got together to plan the kamakazi campaign and that is the extent to it I donít think that is disqualifying.

If Kenny is part of the cover up or the illegal donations I donít know how anyone can consider voting for him.
Should we not wait for the results of the RCMP investigation?
__________________
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:03 PM   #2831
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!
 
Ozy_Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
The irony of the call for balanced and informed voting - by the Calgary Sun of all sources - all while framing it in an opinion piece that reads like a hit job on the desperation of the NDP, is just hilarious.
Ozy_Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 10:12 PM   #2832
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Should we not wait for the results of the RCMP investigation?
Maybe,

We have an election coming up so we are forced to make a decision on that timeline. Ignoring it because it hasn’t finished is as dangerous as accepting it has truth. We have to make our best decision with the information available at the time.

I am comfortable with saying that no one should vote for Trudeau based on the justice committee testimony and Trudeau’s response. I think based on that testimony we can reasonably state that Trudeau directed his team to convince the AG to change her mind and moved her out of the way when she didn’t in order to appease doners and win elections. I don’t think that is being disputed so I don’t think we need to wait for an investigation to disqualify voting for Trudeau.

For me this will be the same with Kenny. If there is reasonable evidence that he was part of an illegal donation scheme to the other campaign we don’t need to wait for the RCMP to finish. Otherwise once the RCMP are done then we need to wait for the trial to be done and by then we are in year 2 of his term.

Also as with the Trudeau case NOT being charged with a criminal offence is not the standard I hold for elected officials. It is more than that.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 10:29 PM   #2833
Dion
Not a casual user
 
Dion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: A simple man leading a complicated life....
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Maybe,

We have an election coming up so we are forced to make a decision on that timeline. Ignoring it because it hasnít finished is as dangerous as accepting it has truth. We have to make our best decision with the information available at the time.

I am comfortable with saying that no one should vote for Trudeau based on the justice committee testimony and Trudeauís response. I think based on that testimony we can reasonably state that Trudeau directed his team to convince the AG to change her mind and moved her out of the way when she didnít in order to appease doners and win elections. I donít think that is being disputed so I donít think we need to wait for an investigation to disqualify voting for Trudeau.

For me this will be the same with Kenny. If there is reasonable evidence that he was part of an illegal donation scheme to the other campaign we donít need to wait for the RCMP to finish. Otherwise once the RCMP are done then we need to wait for the trial to be done and by then we are in year 2 of his term.

Also as with the Trudeau case NOT being charged with a criminal offence is not the standard I hold for elected officials. It is more than that.
If there is reasonable evidence, that might make me think twice before voting. Until then i'll just ignore the hysterical rantings of Notley.

Truth be told, I tend to focus on the issues and the platforms when making my decision. I was never much of a fan of Brian Jean but I did vote WRP last election based on their platform.
__________________
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:33 PM   #2834
Dion
Not a casual user
 
Dion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: A simple man leading a complicated life....
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
The irony of the call for balanced and informed voting - by the Calgary Sun of all sources - all while framing it in an opinion piece that reads like a hit job on the desperation of the NDP, is just hilarious.
The Sun did reports on the websites Notley created to smear Jason Kenney. I think they compared those websites to the National Enquirer and their brand of tabloid journalism
__________________
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:59 PM   #2835
robbie111
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

As a conservative it sickens me to hear what Kenney is accused of. Brian Jean is an honorable man and I'm worried what we are going to get with Kenney. I don't want Redford pt2 and can't vote NDP.

What I wouldn't give for Peter Lougheed pt.2 Why can't we find someone with foresight like Lougheed. Why are we always left with the lowest common denominator instead of an inspiring leader.

Last edited by robbie111; 03-16-2019 at 12:04 AM.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:08 AM   #2836
woob
First Line Centre
 
woob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Exp:
Default

LOL at Kenny quoting a Sun editorial piece. Hot garbage.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:33 AM   #2837
Weitz
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Fair enough, but doesn't that mean you just support a party that supports a crooked leader? My point was more pointing out the hypocrisy of UCP supporters scolding Liberal supporters for continuing to support the party despite the allegations at Trudeau, and then turning around and having no problem doing the same for the UCP and Kenny.
I mean sure. But you voted Green Party and claim to support pipelines.. so..?

What’s good for the goose amirite?

(Uber home from bar post)

Last edited by Weitz; 03-16-2019 at 12:37 AM.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:34 AM   #2838
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Should we not wait for the results of the RCMP investigation?
Has your position changed federally where we should wait for the results of an investigation there as well? The position of friends of mine seems to be that we need to get rid of the NDP, so we should look the other way here. I actually think a lot of people will do that.

Personally, I find it shocking. I donít think a bar of ďI would like a Premier not being investigated by the RCMPĒ is too much to ask. Same goes federally.

At the same time, itís a secret ballot, and I think a lot of people might say that outwardly, but be so against the NDP that theyíll vote UCP anyway. Itís basically the reverse of what happened in 2015 where people just didnít want the PCs and the Wildrose had just done the mass floor crossing as well, so they became the protest vote. I think the most Albertans donít want to miss this opportunity to vote against the NDP now.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:44 AM   #2839
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!
 
Ozy_Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Exp:
Default

I have very little doubt that people in this province would want Trudeau's ass removed and a bunch of Liberals in prison, but turn a blind eye to any chicanery Kenney is part of. As long as it suits a political narrative, he will have his blind supporters and he can do no wrong. And I do feel like there is "magic bullet" sentiment attached to that, like the UCP and Kenney will return Alberta to 2007-era prosperity again, when its just not in the cards.
Ozy_Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:59 AM   #2840
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger
 
MBates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
You might as well not vote if you're going to spoil your ballot. Why waste time?
As someone who strongly believes in the duty to exercise the right to vote that has been bought and paid for by armed conflict and selfless sacrifice of others, I disagree.

Upon attending your polling station and confirming you are validly entitled to vote, you can discharge your duty in two ways without voting for a candidate you cannot support in good conscience.

First you can decline to accept your ballot.

Second you can actually accept the ballot and then choose to send a message by purposefully spoiling the ballot. You can write a reason why you will not debase yourself by selecting any of the candidates to represent you if you want...or just doodle on it. Be creative if you want. Thereís not much chance more than one or two ballot counting people will ever see your handiwork but someone might enjoy it.

Regardless, both declined ballots and spoiled ballots are counted and officially made part of the election record:

https://www.elections.ab.ca/news-rep...voter-turnout/

One could fairly argue that rejecting or spoiling a ballot is far better use of time and a more genuine exercise of the right to vote than to pick a candidate you do not support in protest of something.

In my opinion the only unacceptable option is to stay home and allow your absence to be interpreted as someone who is content with the status quo because you were not even bothered enough to show up to be counted.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:20 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016