Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Calgary Bid on the 2026 Olympics
Yes 286 46.28%
No 261 42.23%
Determine by plebiscite 71 11.49%
Voters: 618. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 07:51 PM   #2081
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
They cut 500 units (1,000 beds).
Is there a good summary of everything that was put in and out at the last minute? I’ve been going off tweets and various news reports but some kind of amendment to the bid document would help a lot.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:37 PM   #2082
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Moran said so on the radio this morning.
Do we have confirmation outside of the comment on the radio? She also still claimed that 10:1 ROI.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:45 PM   #2083
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pinder and Steinberg (Pinder being a huge skeptic in particular) had John Furlong from VANOC on. Really, really worthwhile listen.

Touches on Vancouver's Budget, Calgary's extraordinary safeguards in its budget, IOC, use of old facilities (including McMahon), and so forth.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/pinder-...ancial-impact/
Old 11-02-2018, 08:45 PM   #2084
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do people think that the games won't go over budget?
Old 11-02-2018, 08:54 PM   #2085
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Do people think that the games won't go over budget?
^ Have a listen to the above. It may allay some of those concerns.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:59 PM   #2086
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Do we have confirmation outside of the comment on the radio? She also still claimed that 10:1 ROI.
They said this to City Council as well
Old 11-03-2018, 12:43 AM   #2087
slots881
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Can anyone or most people even name the 3 other cities that have hosted multiple winter games?
Hint: They probably aren’t on your ‘tourist’ list.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:11 AM   #2088
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slots881 View Post
Can anyone or most people even name the 3 other cities that have hosted multiple winter games?
Hint: They probably aren’t on your ‘tourist’ list.
I've never been to Lake Placid but I hear it's very nice, but you're wrong on the other two, St. Moritz is all about tourism and Innsbruck is a true hidden gem in the middle of Europe. all 3 would never host again because of their size though
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 02:15 AM   #2089
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is anyone else still completely undecided?
Old 11-03-2018, 02:20 AM   #2090
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have actually been to Innsbruck. It reminded me of a larger Banff.

Innsbruck was planning on bidding for 2026 but pulled out at the last minute because they didn't have the local support. The problem with their plan was that because the city is so small, many of the big ticket events would have been held elsewhere in Austria or Germany. The hockey tournament would have been held in either Vienna or Munich. Speed skating would have been at an old outdoor oval that has been covered in Germany.

If the Swiss bid had gone through, their plan was to use the old sliding track at St Moritz. It's the only natural ice track still in use.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:05 AM   #2091
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is more to life than what lies on a spreadsheet that just tells you part of a story. Yes, budgets matter, but if you slavishly live by a budget or decide you don’t even want to provide a budget because the bottom line is all you live for, you end up missing out on the best things in life.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 07:06 AM   #2092
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
I am undecided.

I think there are a lot of tangible and intangible benefits from the Olympics but not at any cost. I was 15 years old in 88 and the atmosphere in the city and the impact afterwards was pretty incredible. Calgary changed forever, for the positive, after those Olympics. Calgary wouldn't be Winnipeg if not for those games but it probably would be Edmontonish. Not sure if this budget Olympics would have the same sort of impact on the City though.

I appreciate that security overruns are covered by the Federal government but there seems to be risk associated with other potential cost overruns. The insurance policy seems dubious. Also not really pumped about a slightly renovated McMahon being the center piece to an international event.

The interview on the FAN posted a little earlier is a good listen. It alleviated some of my concerns but not all.

Last edited by Red Slinger; 11-03-2018 at 07:09 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Slinger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 08:07 AM   #2093
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I've been going back and forth on it a lot. After listening to John Furlong on the Fan 960 some of my concerns are at ease.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:58 AM   #2094
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

If it helped the Flames/City get the new arena/entertainment district built then I would consider voting yes. Otherwise no. I’m not sure why the new arena area wasn’t at least put forward as an option/talking point. Money for a 5000 seat arena is a waste and much better spent on the Victoria park complex. The city should have at least had options priced to build the new arena and stadium instead of wasting it on more upgrades .
Old 11-03-2018, 09:04 AM   #2095
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Very much so.

For me I have to say that my major issue concerning my vote can be summed up by 'Head vs. Heart.'

Do I want the Olympics? If it gives me what I want for our City, then sure. Normally I can take or leave the Olympics. I watch Hockey and thats about it, but to host it would be an incredible experience.

So my Heart says Yes.

But when I look through the budgets, the lack of promised infrastructure, the likelihood of cost overruns, sharing with Whistler and just the general state of our economy and our ability to actually, truly afford it....

My Head says No.

Now it all depends on which one I choose to vote with or some of the information thats going to come out in the next few weeks.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-03-2018, 09:12 AM   #2096
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
According the poll attached to the thread, there's 11.5% of people still completely undecided, Sarcasm aside, the lead for the Yes vote on the poll has shrunk from 8% to 4% in the past couple weeks, but that would make sense given how poorly run the last couple weeks have made the BidCo appear to be. Certainly it couldn't have inspired more confidence they'll do a good job. I think most of us wish they'd push this back, there truly is no rush given the other two bids are basically dead at this point. If the IOC is serious about their new vision or whatever, they should be fine with us not being ready until we're ready. We're their only option at this point after all.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:19 AM   #2097
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes. I am still undecided.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:21 AM   #2098
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

What was the process for securing Olympic hockey tickets for 2010? Would there be any chance the average fan here could attend a Team Canada game or would they be prohibitively expensive?
Old 11-03-2018, 09:28 AM   #2099
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
According the poll attached to the thread, there's 11.5% of people still completely undecided, Sarcasm aside, the lead for the Yes vote on the poll has shrunk from 8% to 4% in the past couple weeks, but that would make sense given how poorly run the last couple weeks have made the BidCo appear to be. Certainly it couldn't have inspired more confidence they'll do a good job. I think most of us wish they'd push this back, there truly is no rush given the other two bids are basically dead at this point. If the IOC is serious about their new vision or whatever, they should be fine with us not being ready until we're ready. We're their only option at this point after all.
You can’t push back 2026 unless you’re even more almighty than you already think you are.

The Olympics has to be awarded on the schedule they award them or you just limit the host’s ability to complete all of the construction etc. on time and then you just ruin budgets by forcing everything to be on overtime.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #2100
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
What was the process for securing Olympic hockey tickets for 2010? Would there be any chance the average fan here could attend a Team Canada game or would they be prohibitively expensive?
They will be sold as a lottery, so everyone gets the same shot at them.

As for costs, its a wide range but expect TC tickets to command the most...and according to BidCo prices won't change based on NHL participation or not.

Vancouver IIRC was about 200- 500 a seat depending on the game, though that may have been after market prices as i wasnt there but my brother was and i think those were the numbers he told me.