Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2020, 02:35 PM   #1281
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post
Nope, size is no issue at all. I would like to use a controller sometimes, I generally gamed on a PS4 so that's where my brain went for a controller.

Sorry if I am not fully understanding ill do a bit of googling tomorrow, because I do want to get this purchase right.

Are you saying I should get a larger case so I can fit a different motherboard in it?
Yes, get the version of the case that will support ATX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post
I was considering upgrading to a Ryzen 3700 and a bit better video card.

I get it may not be the best time to buy a computer but I do need something other than a crappy tablet and phone I'm reduced to now. So I'm kinda stuck with the situation so I'm trying to do the best I can for upto $2k (not including a monitor)
Ryzen 3700 may not be available right now. Ryzen 3800x the faster clocked equivalent is available and provides a slight increase in performance. For future proofing either would be suitable.

Bonus points no need to get another heatsink for it when running stock.

available motherboards are also ok for running stock.

ryzen 3600 does show benefits of 3200mhz ram.

video card is a problem as the x060 part will usually give the equivalent performance of the x070 part of the previous generation.

2060 ko will run COD MW with ray tracing 1080p 60fps. however it's kind of a dicey proposition to think it will run the following equivalent graphics at full on 1080p 60fps. maybe the gigabyte 2070 for 570$.
Spoiler!

processor wise it's kind of difficult to justify 9600k as 9400 will perform just as close, in gaming (consider that ai turn time for a 9400 is just .09 seconds slower than a 9600k in civ 6) https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...k-cpu-review/3 ignore the fact that the graphic card is a 2080ti used but the performance metrics are pretty close especially at 1080p, with none of the frames dipping into slide show territory (except maybe ashes of the singularity but that's an rts and won't be weighted for this value proposition)

3300x bottleneck video
Spoiler!

i5-9400 2060 ultra benchmarks at 1080p
Spoiler!
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliche For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 04:06 PM   #1282
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Anyone here put an m.2 card in an enclosure to use as portable storage? If so, how did it work out and what enclosure did you use.

I'm failing to see why you would ever want or need to have an M.2 drive in a portable enclosure. The whole point of them is access speed, specifically for the operating system, which would be lost by converting it to a USB 3.0 drive (640 MB/s vs NVME M.2 at 3500 MB/s). A regular SATA SSD enclosure would be cheaper and more reliable
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:14 PM   #1283
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post

I'm failing to see why you would ever want or need to have an M.2 drive in a portable enclosure. The whole point of them is access speed, specifically for the operating system, which would be lost by converting it to a USB 3.0 drive (640 MB/s vs NVME M.2 at 3500 MB/s). A regular SATA SSD enclosure would be cheaper and more reliable
But that wouldn’t be as cool!

Edit: seriously, the enclosures exist so someone must buy them. I haVe a portable SSD but m.2 would be more pocketable. It’s just something I’d like to try.

Last edited by DownInFlames; 06-08-2020 at 06:04 PM.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:04 PM   #1284
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
But that wouldn’t be as cool!

Edit: seriously, the enclosures exist so someone must buy them. I haVe a portable SSD but m.2 would be more pocketable. It’s just something I’d like to try.

Out of curiosity I did some price matching. StarTech has an M.2 enclosure on Amazon for $45, and the cheapest 1TB M.2 drive on Memory Express is $160. Yet if portable is all that you need then just spend an extra $15 for this

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Catego...9-599348aa4029
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2020, 06:52 AM   #1285
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Well, this is what I wound up going with. Bigger case, bigger processor better video card. I would have liked the next step up in a video card but it was not in the budget. I think they wanted like $350 for the next step up. I can upgrade that later on if needed.

I do appreciate the help, I would have wound up with something I was not happy with so thanks for the help
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Deviaant For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2020, 02:45 PM   #1286
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice build!!!
Old 06-10-2020, 03:33 PM   #1287
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I figure I should probably get a better monitor than the one I was looking at before.

The linked monitor looks nice. It seems to be reviewed pretty well too. Next step after this seems to be a 4k uhd monitor and I don't think 4k is something I'd get full use of out of my computer. Id rather have a setup that does 1080p really nicely, than a set up that does 4k alright. Those are my thoughts behind this monitor anyhow.

Monitors are proving tough to find in stock at some places.

Old 06-11-2020, 01:20 PM   #1288
doublej_23
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hey guys just looking for a second opinion. I have an older machine:

CPU: i7-3770K
Mobo: Intel DZ77GA-70K
RAM: Patriot 16GB DDR3
GPU: GTX 970 OC
HD: 128GB Intel SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda

I know its time to upgrade, my thinking is to replace the graphics card first when the 3000 series launches and either grab a 2070S or a newer 3000 series card. Not sure if anyone is in my situation with older CPU hardware and a newer GPU so I'm trying to gauge how quickly I should expect to have to upgrade my CPU etc to keep up with the newer GPU.
doublej_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:44 PM   #1289
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej_23 View Post
Hey guys just looking for a second opinion. I have an older machine:

CPU: i7-3770K
Mobo: Intel DZ77GA-70K
RAM: Patriot 16GB DDR3
GPU: GTX 970 OC
HD: 128GB Intel SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda

I know its time to upgrade, my thinking is to replace the graphics card first when the 3000 series launches and either grab a 2070S or a newer 3000 series card. Not sure if anyone is in my situation with older CPU hardware and a newer GPU so I'm trying to gauge how quickly I should expect to have to upgrade my CPU etc to keep up with the newer GPU.
You’ll lose some performance due to CPU bottlenecking. It’s tough to say how much but I checked one site and it says up to 25%.

https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Cor...R/00214olu/16/

You’ll still see a noticeable improvement over your current card. I gave my old system with that CPU to my brother and he put a 1060 in it and he’s happy.

And when you feel like upgrading the CPU (and mobo and RAM) you get an even bigger boost. It’s free real estate!
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 09:20 AM   #1290
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You’ll lose some performance due to CPU bottlenecking. It’s tough to say how much but I checked one site and it says up to 25%.

https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Cor...R/00214olu/16/

You’ll still see a noticeable improvement over your current card. I gave my old system with that CPU to my brother and he put a 1060 in it and he’s happy.

And when you feel like upgrading the CPU (and mobo and RAM) you get an even bigger boost. It’s free real estate!
its a 3770k I would replace graphics card and overclock the CPU to alleviate bottleneck issues until it dies.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 09:32 AM   #1291
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone here put an m.2 card in an enclosure to use as portable storage? If so, how did it work out and what enclosure did you use.

I bought an enclosure for this reason, then didn't really use it...

I bought a m.2 drive then realized my mobo was one gen too old and didn't have a slot! whoops... may use it if I ever upgrade my mobo/cpu.

My current rig I built:
Win 10 (no key)
MSI Z87-GD65 mobo
i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50Hz
SSD
Radeon RX Vega 64

16 GB DDR4 Ram

I game at 1440 resolution right now comfortably. Haven't tried overclocking the CPU or GPU yet.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:16 AM   #1292
doublej_23
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
its a 3770k I would replace graphics card and overclock the CPU to alleviate bottleneck issues until it dies.
I think this idea makes the most sense, I'll pick up a new heatsink and video card and OC the unit for now. Might get a few more good years out of it.
doublej_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:27 PM   #1293
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't say how much of a bottleneck a 3770k would have, but I'm upgrading from a 6700k this year because it's bottlenecking my 2080 (and I need more CPU overhead for Ableton).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:36 PM   #1294
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
...so you're the guy who bought the last X570-E at Mem Express?

...you son of a....
Update: That board had a defective DIMM B-channel, it wouldn’t post if any B_1 or B_2 DIMM slots had memory installed. A_1 and A_2 were fine, and it isn’t the RAM, as I had MemX verify the board was the problem. So I’m waiting to hear back on Monday what their ETA is, but I might be exchanging it to an Aorus Elite X570 board plus a WiFi & BT card.

So you’re welcome for saving you from that headache.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:50 AM   #1295
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So I should be getting my new computer shortly. Annoyingly we had to upgrade the video card, power supply and case because they had none and we're going to not be getting any of the ones I had selected. But they gave me a good deal on the upgrade costs. So whatever.

I'm assuming this is just going to come with Windows 10 loaded and that's it. I don't know where to go from here.

For a brand new computer which programs are you installing right away. I assume an anti virus of some sort. All I know is Norton, should I buy that or is there an "ahem" online solution. What other daily use programs are you running?

Super excited about my computer, set up my chair yesterday. I picked up a Nobel Chair from Newegg. Comfy as heck and it does not look like it belongs in a vehicle from the Fast and the Furious.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:04 AM   #1296
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Windows built in antivirus is good enough for most people if you aren't doing to mcuh shady stuff. I like to download HW monitor and Crystaldiskmark. I do this to make sure the temps are under control, and to make sure my drives are setup properly and getting the right speeds. Sometimes BIOS defaults aren't optimized. Make sure you get the newest drivers, run your windows updates and you should be good.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2020, 01:03 PM   #1297
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Visit www.Ninite.com and select all the tools you may think are helpful. Boom, all setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2020, 02:02 PM   #1298
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, hadn't seen that one before.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:03 PM   #1299
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As fuzz mentioned, the windows antivirus is usually all you need. If you do want a little more piece of mind there are plenty of free ones online that are more than capable (and way better than Norton which is just awful in so many ways).

Bitdefender, Avast, AVG to name a few.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:07 PM   #1300
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

"good enough"

zamler is offline   Reply With Quote