Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #81
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

The four is nice, but lighter and thinner would be great.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #82
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
But if they change it every year people have to buy all new cases and accessories every year.
they dont see this as a bad thing...
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #83
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
But if they change it every year people have to buy all new cases and accessories every year.
I think the majority of the market for that is unlicensed aftermarket anyway so Apple doesn't care too much about that.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #84
Jing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think the replaceable battery should only be an issue if the battery life is not sufficient for heavy use, otherwise I don't think it is a huge issue.

My guess is that the 5 is an incremental upgrade, probably throw in a 3G+ modem, NFC, 8 mp camera and a slightly larger screen, possibly in the 3.7 to 4" range.
Jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #85
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if an iPhone is normally released at the end of June/beginning of July, at one point does it become obvious that that isn't going to happen this year? As in, if we haven't heard anything official from Apple, it isn't going to happen.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #86
Jing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
So if an iPhone is normally released at the end of June/beginning of July, at one point does it become obvious that that isn't going to happen this year? As in, if we haven't heard anything official from Apple, it isn't going to happen.
The current rumor is that it will be released in September/October as I believe there is an Apple event around that time.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #87
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know about those rumours, but were the old iPhones even officially announced by now if they were released in July?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #88
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
I know about those rumours, but were the old iPhones even officially announced by now if they were released in July?
I believe they are generally announced in May (WWDC?). The difference this time around is that usually there are leaks from the part manufacturers (Apple orders 5 million of something for example). That hasn't happened yet which leads people to believe that they aren't in production.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #89
Jing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I believe they are generally announced in May (WWDC?). The difference this time around is that usually there are leaks from the part manufacturers (Apple orders 5 million of something for example). That hasn't happened yet which leads people to believe that they aren't in production.
You are correct in regards to the announcement at WWDC. Makes sense, since they just released the iphone4 on Verizon, that make a lot of ticked off customers if you went ahead and released a new iPhone right after that release.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #90
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the irony thread; as this does have a bit of an ironic twist.

My 3GS was approaching it's first birthday, and of course the battery life isn't quite what it used to be. Based entirely on this thread I made an appointment at the Genius Bar of the Apple store to have them look at the phone to see if the battery qualified to be replaced. I will give credit where it is due; the "genius" who was looking after me also noticed a signal strength issue; so he didn't just replace the battery; he gave me a whole new phone. Yes, still another 3GS- but that's good enough for me.

So here's the ironic part. I'm in there to get my battery replaced; based upon our discussions here about whether the iPhone should have a user removable battery. Well, the guy looking after me had been entering everything onto his iPhone; and it crashed in the middle of helping me. He was unable to bring it back by doing a soft reset; to which I sarcastically said "maybe you need to remove the battery to do a hard reset." His response "Yeah, I'll do that after we are done."
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #91
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I think the majority of the market for that is unlicensed aftermarket anyway so Apple doesn't care too much about that.
Apple should care. If someone has an accessory, such as an alarm clock, they are more likely to buy another Apple product come time to upgrade simply so their alarm clock doesn't also need to be upgraded.

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #92
rawr
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Apple has never really said "We will release a new iPhone in June". They have sent out press releases for events but many times the content of that event is unknown although they will hint at certain things.

In all likelihood, based on the rumors and chatter thus far, iOS5 announcement in the keynote at WWDC June, and iPhone 5 announcement in September (traditionally when new iPods are announced)
rawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #93
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary_User View Post
Apple should care. If someone has an accessory, such as an alarm clock, they are more likely to buy another Apple product come time to upgrade simply so their alarm clock doesn't also need to be upgraded.
But if they bought something other than an Apple product, they would need a new alarm clock or case anyway. Plus, I'm not sure many Apple users really hold off on upgrading their iPhone/iPod ONLY because they would have to buy new accessories.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #94
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
But if they bought something other than an Apple product, they would need a new alarm clock or case anyway. Plus, I'm not sure many Apple users really hold off on upgrading their iPhone/iPod ONLY because they would have to buy new accessories.
My car's iPod plug doesn't support the new Nano, Touch, or iPhone 4. I'm not spending another $250 to get a new system that supports them so I will keep using my now ancient iPod.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #95
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
Sorry I may not have been totally clear. If their old alarm clock worked with a new Apple product a user is really likely to buy a new Apple product over a competitors.
If a user has to upgrade their phone and alarm clock because a new product cycle came out, they are more likely to look at Apple and its competitors and really evaluate which product is right for them.

If the alarm clock still works it's an incentive for them to stick with Apple products. If they have to upgrade all their accessories as well there is no incentive to stick with Apple products.

I don't have any accessories for my phone at the moment. The only things I have is about $20 worth of apps. My phone contract is up in a year. I will be looking into all of my options when upgrading.

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #96
Young-Sneezy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

im beta testing the 5 right, and its a beasttttt
Young-Sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #97
Jing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young-Sneezy View Post
Most of the rumors state it is a slight upgrade (ie 3gs over 3g) with the addition of the a5 processor and better cameras (probably the 8mp cameras from Sony). Care to make any additional comments?
Old 05-15-2011, 03:16 PM   #98
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I call bull****
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oilyfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #99
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
If you were, that statement would be a violation of your BETA TESTER NONDISCLOSURE AGREEMENT, and if you didn't sign one of those, your not testing one, and if you did have fun with getting sued!
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #100
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
If you were, that statement would be a violation of your BETA TESTER NONDISCLOSURE AGREEMENT, and if you didn't sign one of those, your not testing one, and if you did have fun with getting sued!
I don't think he said anything that gave it away. He misspelled "beast" which was describing it so technically he didn't describe it.

No suing.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote