Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2020, 10:44 AM   #41
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
I sure enjoy the reffing in the world juniors. Your team just took a 5 minute penalty and you slash someone? Guess what, you get another 2 min. Call the rules by the book and enough with this game management bs.
I wonder if you still enjoy the reffing in the world juniors after Foote got a major and ejection for a completely clean hit.

Anyway, nobody should be surprised that Torts got fined. It doesn't matter if you are right or wrong in your complaints, the league nearly always takes a dim view of team officials publicly going after the officials.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:45 AM   #42
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
Not a big fan of the reffing either but sometimes the refs are put on the spot for rules that are difficult to interpret and/or follow.

For example, I don't see what's so special about 1.5 seconds lost in the last 20 seconds? I assume it's written in the rules somewhere, but where's the cutoff? You could have easily tacked that 1.5 seconds on due to a slow timekeeping finger much earlier in the period.
Personally, I think it all matters and the time should be accurate.

However, it's especially egregious when the whistle blows, and the time keeps counting down well beyond a reasonable margin of error. Over a second and a half is simply not acceptable any time of the game.

Would the extra second and a half made a difference in the outcome of the game?

Actually yes, the Jackets game winning goal was waved off due to the buzzer sounding by a mere fraction of a second.

I agree with that others are saying in terms of calling penalties.

A penalty in the 1st should be a penalty in the 3rd; a penalty even strength, is a penalty short handed.

It's not the refs deciding the game, is the players. The players are the ones doing the infractions.

That said, referees should be evaluated and scored on their performance. This keeps them sharp, and would help with consistency. Constant training, constant reviewing of footage. They need to be supported in order for this to work.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:54 AM   #43
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Thats right Corsi, no other league has a let the players decide the game argument to it.

In NFL there can be pass interference on the last play of the game that extends the game.

In EPL there can be penalty kick that extends the game.

A foul is a foul.

That would be an interesting rule to explore. If a trailing team is offended against, play shall resume until the penalty time has expired. Not suggesting it’s plausible, but could really give a neat dynamic; especially since teams can basically do whatever they want in the last 30 seconds to prevent a goal.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #44
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Personally, I think it all matters and the time should be accurate.

However, it's especially egregious when the whistle blows, and the time keeps counting down well beyond a reasonable margin of error. Over a second and a half is simply not acceptable any time of the game.

Actually yes, the Jackets game winning goal was waved off due to the buzzer sounding by a mere fraction of a second.

I agree with that others are saying in terms of calling penalties.

A penalty in the 1st should be a penalty in the 3rd; a penalty even strength, is a penalty short handed.

It's not the refs deciding the game, is the players. The players are the ones doing the infractions.

That said, referees should be evaluated and scored on their performance. This keeps them sharp, and would help with consistency. Constant training, constant reviewing of footage. They need to be supported in order for this to work.
They are though, it contributes to who works the playoffs/how long/how many regular season games you work etc. Which circles back to how this is how the NHL wants it done.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:44 AM   #45
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
They are though, it contributes to who works the playoffs/how long/how many regular season games you work etc. Which circles back to how this is how the NHL wants it done.
It obviously is not being enforced though as every game every night is having glaring issues with officiating. It is pretty obvious the NHL is instructing officials to manage games, Kerry Fraser has admitted as much. It is obvious there are different degrees of calls for certain teams as well. The rules for the Calgary Flames are not the same rules as for an original six team like the Detroit Red Wings. There are way too many issues.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:04 PM   #46
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have noticed that when and what they call a penalty often depends on the flow of the game. I don't know if it is how they are trained or if they are doing it subconsciously. Powerplays seem to be often be a reward rather than penalties being a punishment.

If a team is pinned in their own zone but hanging in there, the refs will call a weak penalty on the defending team as a reward to the more dominant team. If the game is flowing back and forth quickly, they let everything go. If both teams are having trouble gaining the zone, the whistles come back out. It has been that way for a long time, so I am thinking it might be league direction.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 01-02-2020 at 12:12 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:06 PM   #47
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I wonder if you still enjoy the reffing in the world juniors after Foote got a major and ejection for a completely clean hit.

Anyway, nobody should be surprised that Torts got fined. It doesn't matter if you are right or wrong in your complaints, the league nearly always takes a dim view of team officials publicly going after the officials.
Look, no one is asking for perfection. The ref made the call on the ice and determined it was a game misconduct. Maybe it was maybe it wasn’t (I wasn’t able to watch the game) but I highly doubt that call was made with the intent to manage the game.

I’m talking about the plays where there is a blatant penalty, replay shows the officials watching it and nothing is done because the offending team is down two goals in the third. The refs know if they make that call and the team now goes down three goals because of the ensuing power play, the game is pretty much over.

Call the infractions by the book and the players will adapt. I like corsi’s idea of a divers list. Another thing that pisses me off is when someone gets called for diving but the other guy still gets a tripping call. Just brutal and gives no incentive for players to stop diving.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2020, 12:21 PM   #48
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:05 PM   #49
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder if crowd funding to pay this fine by fans from around the league, not just in Columbus, would signal to the NHL that we are all tired of officiating in this league. I'd throw in twenty bucks or so if I thought it would accomplish that.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:08 PM   #50
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

The NHL thinks game management is good for business. It might be counterintuitive however, as it seems most fans are quite pissy. The comments on the announcement of the fine on the twitter feed from the NHL is hilarious, for example.

Might be time to let the game be the game. If a team is meant to be blown out, well, let them.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:44 PM   #51
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
That would be an interesting rule to explore. If a trailing team is offended against, play shall resume until the penalty time has expired. Not suggesting it’s plausible, but could really give a neat dynamic; especially since teams can basically do whatever they want in the last 30 seconds to prevent a goal.
I've always thought it would be interesting if the defending team had to gain possession of the puck outside their zone to end the game once the clock shows 0:00. Offensive team cannot take their puck back to their own zone (simply send it back to your own zone to end the game if you're ahead).

It's actually pretty amazing that we get as many buzzer beaters as we do...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 03:14 PM   #52
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't I say this league is turning into a WWE kind of entertainment? The NHL makes TO into the center of this world! $20K - that's worth 2-cents for Torts!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:18 AM   #53
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I've always thought it would be interesting if the defending team had to gain possession of the puck outside their zone to end the game once the clock shows 0:00. Offensive team cannot take their puck back to their own zone (simply send it back to your own zone to end the game if you're ahead).

It's actually pretty amazing that we get as many buzzer beaters as we do...
It would never happen but how crazy would it be if a rugby union rule was followed? The rule is that after the time expires, the game continues until there is a whistle or the ball goes out of play. That could make for some crazy in a one goal game.

On thread, I don’t care what the refs call just make it consistent for both teams.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:51 AM   #54
motorcrosser
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I like the shake of the Timmy's cup on the podium. They have Tim's in Columbus?
Yes they do. They tried to open them here in Indy, but it didn't work. Never mind that they put them in awful locations.

Sent from here.
motorcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:20 AM   #55
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
It would never happen but how crazy would it be if a rugby union rule was followed? The rule is that after the time expires, the game continues until there is a whistle or the ball goes out of play. That could make for some crazy in a one goal game.

On thread, I don’t care what the refs call just make it consistent for both teams.
Exactly what I was thinking, but it shouldn't be as simple as flipping the puck out or icing it, since those are 'infractions' in hockey, whereas kicking the ball out is a regular part of rugby.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:34 PM   #56
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
Look, no one is asking for perfection. The ref made the call on the ice and determined it was a game misconduct. Maybe it was maybe it wasn’t (I wasn’t able to watch the game) but I highly doubt that call was made with the intent to manage the game.

I’m talking about the plays where there is a blatant penalty, replay shows the officials watching it and nothing is done because the offending team is down two goals in the third. The refs know if they make that call and the team now goes down three goals because of the ensuing power play, the game is pretty much over.

Call the infractions by the book and the players will adapt. I like corsi’s idea of a divers list. Another thing that pisses me off is when someone gets called for diving but the other guy still gets a tripping call. Just brutal and gives no incentive for players to stop diving.
While I agree in principle, the simple fact is, it's not that easy. Consider the year after the Wild went out and deliberately broke Gaudreau's hand. The league modified the slashing rule, and told the officials to call everything. We didn't even get halfway through the pre-season before everybody was complaining about it - players, officials, coaches and even fans. So they dialed it back. And within a couple years, that call is practically non-existent again.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:11 PM   #57
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Is that a real thing?

I’d buy one
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2020, 06:46 PM   #58
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Exactly what I was thinking, but it shouldn't be as simple as flipping the puck out or icing it, since those are 'infractions' in hockey, whereas kicking the ball out is a regular part of rugby.
Interesting though if it was done exactly like that; it would force possession and much like calling a delayed penalty, a player would need to have possession to flick it over the glass. The idea of extending a game for a penalty is interesting as well.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:30 PM   #59
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post

Actually the odds are long that it would not have.

If the Refs took even a fraction of a second to add time to the clock, everything would have turned out different from that moment on.

Torts rant, while technically correct, was completely wrong.

The injury to Korpsi would likely not have occurred simply because the time would have been different. But for all we know, he could have suffered a even more serious injury.

If Torts hadn’t screamed at the Refs, Korpi would likely still be playing.

And perhaps Elvis and the BJ’s wouldn’t have 2 wins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:29 PM   #60
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
Interesting though if it was done exactly like that; it would force possession and much like calling a delayed penalty, a player would need to have possession to flick it over the glass. The idea of extending a game for a penalty is interesting as well.
I don't just want possession, but possession outside your zone...I'd also have this apply for a delayed penalty whistle to blow.

In my fantasy chaos world penalties would be 1-3-5 minutes (3 for dangerous plays and infractions on scoring chances, 1 for most everything else) - both icing and puck over glass would be called the same - you get 3* instances per period, after that, each one is a 1 min penalty (ie. common fouls in basketball over the limit = free throws). [* maybe 4 or 5? no idea on current frequency of icing)

Perhaps then you could 'ice' the game if you are under the limit, but otherwise you're going on the PK.

Puts more power in linesmen's hands...but I root for chaos, so why not. With [non-traditional] OT loser points, I don't mind introducing non-traditional drama to the end of games.