Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-02-2020, 02:43 PM   #241
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Agree to disagree. We're not a two man team. If Gaudreau is traded there will be value coming back. The Flames are extremely deep in young defensemen that will replace Giordano in time.

Sky ain't falling for me. Sorry pessimists, we just don't have the same view of the Flames. The Flames are an inconsistent deep team that has a wealth of assets in terms of valuable NHL players including young valuable players with good contracts, draft picks and some prospects.

They can compete for years to come potentially. Why even be a fan if you think their chance is 0 after the rebuild? Seems ridiculous. That's not realism, that's pessimism. Why be pessimistic about something you're cheering for? Seems painful.
The truth, as almost always, is somewhere in the middle... The Flames are probably right in that sweet, sweet 13-18 slot. Some decent young players, some stars, some players on the upswing, some players on the downswing. Nothing special, pretty thin prospect base. I expect this team to be "average" for the foreseeable future. What I do think is that last year was seemingly the sweet spot. Peak Giordano, peak Backlund, some good cheap, young players, seemingly good chemistry (at least until the AS break). Needed some help to push it over the top. Didn't happen and I think now we need major surgery to get back to "serious contender" status, which may be very, very hard.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2020, 03:35 PM   #242
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
The truth, as almost always, is somewhere in the middle... The Flames are probably right in that sweet, sweet 13-18 slot. Some decent young players, some stars, some players on the upswing, some players on the downswing. Nothing special, pretty thin prospect base. I expect this team to be "average" for the foreseeable future. What I do think is that last year was seemingly the sweet spot. Peak Giordano, peak Backlund, some good cheap, young players, seemingly good chemistry (at least until the AS break). Needed some help to push it over the top. Didn't happen and I think now we need major surgery to get back to "serious contender" status, which may be very, very hard.
I don't think last year was the sweet spot as one more forward wouldn't have salvaged our first round disaster. I think last year and this year have proved we don't have quite the right makeup.

Now where the pessimists and I differ is that I think Treliving knows there's problems with the core and has the assets required to fix it. I don't think our window is closing. Most of our best players are just about to enter their prime. The present and the future are still bright. Lindholm, Tkachuk, Monahan, Gaudreau, Valimaki, Hanifin, Andersson are all A level assets in my opinion. You choose the right ones to build around, deal the others and we're fine. I think we have some good young 2nd-3rd line depth coming up in Mangiapane and Dube. We have some good veteran leadership with Backs and Gio. It seems like goaltending may be solved long term with Rittich looking like a #1 and Zagidullin, Gillies and Parsons are doing relatively well this year. We have almost every piece we need do we not?

Imagine for a second Treliving makes another Hamilton type trade but this time with Gaudreau.

You can't let the emotional rollercoaster of losses convince you the team sucks. It doesn't suck, its a good team that's stumbled a few times this season and has dealt with a lot of adversity.

I dunno, I really can't comprehend the posters who are all doom and gloom and wallowing in their predictions of endless crappiness. Miserable way to view things imo. Why not try and look on the bright side? Why not recognize all the great young talent on the Flames? There may need to be some tweaking but Treliving has done a lot of good here and there are reasons to think he'll continue to shape the roster in good ways.

I mean you'll never convince people. Everyone has their own world view and view of the Flames and logic isn't going to change the emotional ones. But I'd rather cheer for the Flames than wallow in misery. I tend to believe it's a choice we all make unless we're clinically depressed.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 01-02-2020 at 03:37 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2020, 04:36 PM   #243
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
That’s exactly what I did, if you must know. And I’ve been much happier not allowing myself to get emotionally invested in a team I see as a rudderless ship heading into another extended span of mediocrity.
you guys are hilarious...you come to CP everyday to tell us how much you don't care
Old 01-02-2020, 04:56 PM   #244
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
you guys are hilarious...you come to CP everyday to tell us how much you don't care
Meh. It's possible to be interested in the "team building"/off-ice/draft/trades/management/coaching/etc aspect of it without being invested in on-ice. I was there for the latter Sutter years and Feaster right until the miracle Hartley season when they sucked me back in...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2020, 06:12 PM   #245
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

It’s kind of hard to explain. Yes, Dino is right of course I care. But I also weirdly don’t at the same time. I find it tough to get too riled up about the team because it looks like it’s’ best players literally don’t give a ####. Which does impact my give a ####. Trades like today help, but at the end of the day with this team it just feels like forever in purgatory and we will never truly “get there”. So that’s what I mean, I care, but, meh.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:14 PM   #246
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Dp
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote