Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2019, 06:06 PM   #41
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
What kind of job do you have where you have to be 100% error proof all the time? Even doctors make mistakes from time to time.

It’s almost as if NHL teams go through peaks and valleys throughout the season and have good stretches followed by bad ones.
Sorry, maybe I should clarify. Mistakes are okay to an extent... but very few jobs will give you a pass if the effort and work ethic isnt there.

Which imo was the case for the Flames today
keenan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:06 PM   #42
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
This is why the Flames have been mediocre for decades and fans like you continue to eat it up. Do you forget that the Flames were on a 6 game losing streak just a few weeks ago? Why not add that to the record instead of cherry picking?

Or are you just happy the Flames crawl and scratch to the plauoffs? How about actually being a fricken contender for once? (Before you go on about last year, they sucked #### after the allstar break.. which continued in the playoffs)
Not sure what effect u think we have on flames management and the on ice product but ur wrong

As fans of pro sports teams we can do 1 of two things, pop a blood vessel when they don’t play well or just shrug it off because ultimately what we think doesn’t matter and it’s just a bunch of 20 year olds slapping a peice of rubber around with a stick

If fan outrage is what made teams better than Vancouver should be swimming in cups after they set their downtown on fire
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 06:06 PM   #43
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am sorry but that is not a winning mentality. Every team gets advantages and disadvantages.. gotta play through it.

Personally, there are some days when I work 18 hours.. and I do that a few days in a row. If I make a mistake, my boss doesn't just give me a free pass.
Do you work for Josef Stalin? You're boss sucks.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 06:06 PM   #44
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf_Phan View Post
Before the puck dropped, nobody was complaining about the back to back.

Do people usually complain before they trip and fall? Not sure what your point is but I am pretty sure the players were physically and mentally tired.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:10 PM   #45
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

No doubt the team was tired, but inconsistent effort is an ongoing problem with this team - so I'm not as willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.
At minimum they should have come out in the first with a lot of energy.
If this team was consistently putting the effort in - I would be willing to attribute this one to the travel.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 06:13 PM   #46
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
Not sure what effect u think we have on flames management and the on ice product but ur wrong

As fans of pro sports teams we can do 1 of two things, pop a blood vessel when they don’t play well or just shrug it off because ultimately what we think doesn’t matter and it’s just a bunch of 20 year olds slapping a peice of rubber around with a stick

If fan outrage is what made teams better than Vancouver should be swimming in cups after they set their downtown on fire

Your post made me chuckle but some fans do like to wallow in misery; Interesting especially after how happy everyone was with the Dallas effort.

The Flames have had to deal with some changes and adversary, being fatigued after a a quick back to back is understandable.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 06:13 PM   #47
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
No doubt the team was tired, but inconsistent effort is an ongoing problem with this team - so I'm not as willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.
If this team was consistently putting the effort in - I would be willing to attribute this one to the travel.
After travel and 8 hours of sleep that's 10 hours left to prepare, eat, maybe practice and then it's puck drop again.

People looking for more heart and hustle are out to lunch. This schedule is garbage.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank MetaMusil For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 06:14 PM   #48
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The effort just isn't there enough. They have some games and periods where they are putting in the work but those have been few and far between. It's deeper than the head coach. This core just isn't invested into doing whatever it takes to win games.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 06:18 PM   #49
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The effort just isn't there enough. They have some games and periods where they are putting in the work but those have been few and far between. It's deeper than the head coach. This core just isn't invested into doing whatever it takes to win games.
Agreed. As I said earlier in the week
"hating to lose" is easy
"Committing to win" is the tough work.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 06:26 PM   #50
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Gross.

The pitiful offence this year is on Treliving for doing nothing to address it during the offseason when it was apparent from February onward that the Flames lack dynamic scorers.

Man, do we ever need a win over Edmonton on Friday.
Old 12-23-2019, 06:26 PM   #51
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I am sorry but that is not a winning mentality. Every team gets advantages and disadvantages.. gotta play through it.

Personally, there are some days when I work 18 hours.. and I do that a few days in a row. If I make a mistake, my boss doesn't just give me a free pass.
if you read what i said - its not an excuse it is a disadvantage. I guess after you work 18 hours a day for a few days in a row - you are as sharp as the first day?
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:29 PM   #52
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Flames 0 Wild 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post

Can you provide an example of another NHL team that has demonstrated the kind of effort you’re looking for on a start less than 20 hours after the finish of the previous game with significant travel against a rested opponent? This was a much worse situation than a simple back to back because of significant travel, the very early start, and the rested opponent. This game was the next best thing to a guaranteed loss before it even started. There’s a difference between a lack of will and the body simply having insufficient recovery time. Frankly, early starts on back to back games should probably be banned because of the very significant advantage they provide to the rested team. And I believe we’ve already had a few of them this season.

Last edited by Macindoc; 12-23-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 06:30 PM   #53
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Getting shutout 5 times in the past 18 games is not "really good".
Well I said 14 games and check the record...it is really good
Old 12-23-2019, 06:31 PM   #54
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really listless game from Monahan. Wasn't thrilled with Tkachuk either. But the whole team was standing still.

Some credit to Minny, they kept the play along the boards where they flat out dominated.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 06:33 PM   #55
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This team lacks toughness. Right now the Caps are down 5-0 but they're still going for it and hitting guys. When the going gets tough the Flames go butter soft and fold.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:34 PM   #56
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
This team lacks toughness. Right now the Caps are down 5-0 but they're still going for it and hitting guys. When the going gets tough the Flames go butter soft and fold.
Caps are down 5-0 in the second period and they are your example of effort and not quitting lol

#### this place

Flames out hit the Wild by the way...the Wild who were rested and have 2 home losses this season
Old 12-23-2019, 06:38 PM   #57
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Caps are down 5-0 in the second period and they are your example of effort and not quitting lol

#### this place

Flames out hit the Wild by the way...the Wild who were rested and have 2 home losses this season
People have different opinions than your never ending rainbows and everything is sunshine view, deal with it. And damn do you cry and whine when people don't agree.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 06:39 PM   #58
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m hardly going to roll out the “bad luck” element, however, last year, Flames took their opportunities and made the most of them earlier in the games. All of a sudden the momentum swings and the direction of the games changes when they played with a lead or if they tied it up.

This year, they don’t take that opportunity and then they are playing from behind, or get behind, and then the whole atmosphere of the game changes. Look at last night. Without those two PP goals in quick succession, it would’ve gone into the 3rd period tie game and who knows.

They had the lead because of the PP but 5 on 5 looked nothing better than Dallas, but overall were rewarded and had the lead and the perception is that they are back after they win. Tonight, I don’t think they played much worse overall, but no PP goals, missing a couple good chances, but are being chastised for lazy and uncommitted when they lose.

Imo, they, all season, and certainly under Ward, look like generally the same team as last year, but are scoring that one less goal and not scoring it at the critical time of the game they did last year, and don’t seem to have that timing.

Tonight,if they go up 1-0 early in the second they likely win 3-1 and cruise to that win, which is what they would’ve done last year, without looking any better on the ice, or more exciting then they did in this 3-0 loss.

Tonight, can’t say the Wild looked like the better team really at any point, but Flames had chances which would’ve given them a lead and didn’t.

In general, again, I don’t see a massive difference in the team over last year, as far as work ethnic or anything like that...the big change is they aren’t getting that timely goal which breaks the game open, and it’s almost like they are just expecting it to happen naturally as it did last year. Last night they got those goals and forced the other team to catch up, and tonight, had to play catch-up, but I don’t think the style or effort was that different.

Last edited by browna; 12-23-2019 at 06:44 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:40 PM   #59
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boy, some of the folks here need to take it easy. The team played its second game in less than 24 hours and are looking forward to a nice break for the holidays. Yeah, they may have been looking ahead to the holidays and maybe they were slow and tired, but guess what, it happens. These games happen, hopefully some here can also take a nice break and relax a bit!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 06:41 PM   #60
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

I've noticed Hamonic has mastered the old Bouwmeester flamingo move.

He's bad, it should be Hanifin/Rasmus.

Treliving still needs to unload some dead weight, but can he do it?
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank MetaMusil For This Useful Post: