Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2019, 05:45 PM   #21
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Troy View Post
NHL mandated loss, felt like one of those NBA games where they rested all the stars. Outside of Tkachuk, Lindholm and Gio, Flames don’t have a lot of guys that step up when the going gets tough...
I disagree. I said it before and I will say it again. Giordano has played like trash for most of this season.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 05:45 PM   #22
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames have great talent on their team, so they could still easily grab a Playoff spot despite this God awful 5v5 play, but based on their metrics, their 1-3-1 record in their last 5 games is much more indicative of their play than their 7 game win streak when Ward first took over.

This feels like a combination of Gulutzan and Hartley.

Gulutzan hockey was just as boring as what we're watching right now, but at least the Flames generally outplayed their opponents during Gulutzan's final year but were killed by puck luck, which corrected itself in a massive way the following year under Peters.

But statistically, this is much closer to the Hartley era. Only difference is Hartley coached a team with no talent to an unsustainable season and a second round appearance before their unsustainable play inevitably caught up to them the following season.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 05:47 PM   #23
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Holy overreaction Batman. A split on 2 games within 20 hours isn’t the end of the world. I don’t like the amount of shutouts this year either, but at the end of the day, they’re still in a playoff spot and are 8-3-1 over their last 12. Beat Edmonton on Friday and tonight’s game is forgiven.
This is why the Flames have been mediocre for decades and fans like you continue to eat it up. Do you forget that the Flames were on a 6 game losing streak just a few weeks ago? Why not add that to the record instead of cherry picking?

Or are you just happy the Flames crawl and scratch to the plauoffs? How about actually being a fricken contender for once? (Before you go on about last year, they sucked #### after the allstar break.. which continued in the playoffs)

Last edited by keenan87; 12-23-2019 at 05:50 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 05:48 PM   #24
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
The Flames have great talent on their team, so they could still easily grab a Playoff spot despite this God awful 5v5 play, but based on their metrics, their 1-3-1 record in their last 5 games is much more indicative of their play than their 7 game win streak when Ward first took over.

This feels like a combination of Gulutzan and Hartley.

Gulutzan hockey was just as boring as what we're watching right now, but at least the Flames generally outplayed their opponents during Gulutzan's final year but were killed by puck luck, which corrected itself in a massive way the following year under Peters.

But statistically, this is much closer to the Hartley era. Only difference is Hartley coached a team with no talent to an unsustainable season and a second round appearance before their unsustainable play inevitably caught up to them the following season.
8-3-1 using real stats that actually matter...so far so good for Ward
Old 12-23-2019, 05:48 PM   #25
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
Somewhat an expected outcome given the short turnaround.

I would love a league explanation on the non call where Johny was tripped and it should have been a 5-3. Cassies logic made absolutely no sense at all with "well maybe the ref thought Talbot had got in the way of the wild player".

Very well could have been a turning point in the game for the flames, was once again watched by the official so no excuse to "miss it" and was as black and white of a trip as it gets.

I swear I heard “2 penalties” yelled out after Gaudreau fell. Seems the refs changed their minds. I mean you can’t give a team a full 2:00 five on three, regardless of how egregious the 2nd penalty was. The constantly changing standard for penalties is ridiculous. Just call them as you see them, zebras.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:49 PM   #26
Saint Troy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I disagree. I said it before and I will say it again. Giordano has played like trash for most of this season.
His play has dipped for sure, but to question his level of competitiveness is a joke.

Saint Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saint Troy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 05:49 PM   #27
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

A team can be tired and still put in a good effort and just run out of gas. I didn't see that today.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #28
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is why the Flames have been mediocre for decades and fans like you continue to eat it up. Do you forget that the Flames were on a 6 game losing streak just a few weeks ago? Why not add that to the record instead of cherry picking?

Have a drink man, you’re wound awfully tight. Seems like you expect them to go 82-0 and after any bad game the team should be blown up.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #29
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fans like you freak out after every loss...teams lose games.

Season as a whole hasn't been near good enough but the last 14 or so games have been really good for the most part.

And FYI what fans think has no effect on how the team plays
Old 12-23-2019, 05:52 PM   #30
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Like I said, this is similar to the Hartley era so far where the Flames' record and second round appearance was not nearly indicative of their play, and they inevitable crashed the following season.

Only difference is Hartley had no talent to work with, whereas Ward has a lot of talent to work with. It's great they're 8-3-1 under Ward, but it's also completely unsustainable if their play 5v5 continues, as shown by their 1-3-1 record their last 5 games.

Luckily there's still half a season to hopefully correct whatever this mess is that we're seeing 5v5 and get a good solid system in place before the Playoffs, if we're lucky enough to make it there.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 05:52 PM   #31
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pathetic effort. Predictable result. Everytime the Flames have a chance to pass the Coilers they crap the bed.

Feel bad for Talbot. He was good, but pretty much everyone else was crap.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to old-fart For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 05:52 PM   #32
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fans like you freak out after every loss...teams lose games.

Season as a whole hasn't been near good enough but the last 14 or so games have been really good for the most part.

And FYI what fans think has no effect on how the team playa
Getting shutout 5 times in the past 18 games is not "really good".
Old 12-23-2019, 05:53 PM   #33
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Lol..team sucks less than 24 hours after shelling a club in a building they have a tough time in.

Sure.

This was disappointing but also totally forgivable.

None the less, Merry Xmas CP!
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 05:53 PM   #34
Phaneuf_Phan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Before the puck dropped, nobody was complaining about the back to back.
Phaneuf_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phaneuf_Phan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 05:54 PM   #35
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf_Phan View Post
Before the puck dropped, nobody was complaining about the back to back.
not true - lots of people complained - its not an excuse but it is a disadvantage to the team having that schedule
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 05:58 PM   #36
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner View Post
not true - lots of people complained - its not an excuse but it is a disadvantage to the team having that schedule
I am sorry but that is not a winning mentality. Every team gets advantages and disadvantages.. gotta play through it.

Personally, there are some days when I work 18 hours.. and I do that a few days in a row. If I make a mistake, my boss doesn't just give me a free pass.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:59 PM   #37
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Pretty much every team in the league will have a 8-3-1 run over 82 games. The whole point of looking at other stats is to make better guesses as to whether the team will maintain that form or not. I’m still ambivalent about ward but the underlying stats are clear. Ignoring them isn’t going to make them or their predictive qualities go away
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jore For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 05:59 PM   #38
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcli View Post
Playing B2B is a reason not not an excuse. Remember these players are professionals training all summers for fitness. Completely disappearing after a good game is inexcusable. Not only they cannot generate scoring chances but also they can hardly make a pass. I say this team is as bad as the Oilers except our goal tenders are better.
Look at the distance between the two cities on this back to back.... It’s one thing to play Philly and then Pittsburgh the next day but Dallas to Minny in less than a day is borderline inhuman.
Dragomir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dragomir For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 06:00 PM   #39
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guys were probably tired after the B2B they played hard against Dallas. Looked to me like they were out of gas.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:02 PM   #40
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am sorry but that is not a winning mentality. Every team gets advantages and disadvantages.. gotta play through it.

Personally, there are some days when I work 18 hours.. and I do that a few days in a row. If I make a mistake, my boss doesn't just give me a free pass.

What kind of job do you have where you have to be 100% error proof all the time? Even doctors make mistakes from time to time.

It’s almost as if NHL teams go through peaks and valleys throughout the season and have good stretches followed by bad ones.