Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2020, 12:56 PM   #241
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
That's fantastic that you took me so literal. It's not like teams have ever exaggerated their numbers on attendance, right?

Have you been to a weekday game recently? Use your eyes and look around next time. Or go over to the ticket exchange forum on CP and see how cheap the tickets are being sold.
Well, the tickets on the exchange have already been purchased. Every team not named Toronto has plenty of empty seats on weekdays. The Flames rank 7th in the NHL in ticket sold attendance, that is not a problem.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 02:18 PM   #242
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

On a different broadcaster, maybe we'll actually get a post-game show with analysis and post-game interviews... instead of stupid Rogers cutting out to their Sportsnet Central show (or whatever its' called).

When the Flames play a US-team and you watch their feed, they always have an extended post-game show to breakdown the game. Sportsnet pretty much kills the coverage as soon as the players get off the ice.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shadowlord For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 02:33 PM   #243
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
I continually read that Rogers Sportsnet is losing money yet I can not find anywhere that they are in fact losing money. From their last full year financials (2018) released in January 2019 it looks like Rogers made over $400 M in profit. A lot of that is attributed to wireless, which is to be expected, but they state an increase in cable revenue.

The biggest cash drain appears to be the large contracts given to "personalities" handed out by the former President, sometimes to the tune of 60% over market value. When he was called in to the board and told to reduce these contracts by up to 20% to reflect market value he decided to quit and walk away with the comment "I am a builder not someone who tears things down". They just weren't making what they expected.

https://about.rogers.com/wp-content/...ss-Release.pdf
How can you not lose money when you drop $5.2billion onto a declining sport. The NHL was only hoping for around $3.2 billion when negotiations started.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:41 PM   #244
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Maybe Rick Ball would go work for TSN and still do Flames games.

Can do without Cassie thank you.
I heard that Cassie is joining the panel tonight for the entire HNiC broadcast. Probably a test run for a potential move from Flames games to the national scene. I personally don't like it as I think she is a weak personality and her commentary is lacklustre.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 02:54 PM   #245
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
On a different broadcaster, maybe we'll actually get a post-game show with analysis and post-game interviews... instead of stupid Rogers cutting out to their Sportsnet Central show (or whatever its' called).

When the Flames play a US-team and you watch their feed, they always have an extended post-game show to breakdown the game. Sportsnet pretty much kills the coverage as soon as the players get off the ice.
I always assumed that as long as the show "was still the game", they were still under the NHL's domain...so they "end" the game (losing the NHL's rights over what they say/do in the process) and then go to their own spiel, over which they have total control. No idea, though, if that is really so.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:00 PM   #246
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just don't get the Cassie hate on CP. It surprises me - a lot. And not in a good way.

Don't like her? Mute the broadcast - you know who the players are anyway.

Or play the radio and listen to Wills/Loubo (no thanks, unless there is no other choice, for me).

Or stream the out-of-town feed for their audio. There are lots of choices. (Whining should not be one of them.)

Personally, I'd love to see a channel where there was only a video feed with the sounds of the game/arena and no announcers/colour.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 03:26 PM   #247
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

1) This feels like a negotiation tactic.
2) The Flames' national rights would still be with Sportsnet so it would be an interesting dynamic.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:34 PM   #248
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Awesome. Hope it goes to TSN.
This. I'd really miss Ball/Hrudey, but Chris Cuthbert doing games, then throwing it back in between periods to Duthie, McKenzie & crew for analysis instead of Eric Francis..yes please
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #249
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
I just don't get the Cassie hate on CP. It surprises me - a lot. And not in a good way.

Or play the radio and listen to Wills/Loubo (no thanks, unless there is no other choice, for me).

Or stream the out-of-town feed for their audio. There are lots of choices. (Whining should not be one of them.)

Personally, I'd love to see a channel where there was only a video feed with the sounds of the game/arena and no announcers/colour.
A good analyst adds to the enjoyment of the game by outlining things that are not easily picked up by the viewer. It has nothing to do with knowing the players - it's about passing on deeper insights to the viewers
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #250
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
How can you not lose money when you drop $5.2billion onto a declining sport. The NHL was only hoping for around $3.2 billion when negotiations started.
I am just saying that we keep hearing about them losing money and yet can find no definitive proof. From Rogers audited financials they still make money on their media division, just not as much. They also raised the dividend that they pay out.

Now are the "personalities" overpaid, for sure. And a further clearing out of deadbeats after this season would be great, Ron MacLean. I never watch Sportsnet unless I watch the Flames or Oilers (for losses) games so I don't care too much, as long as my dividends keep increasing
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:46 PM   #251
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I would pay good money for this option.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 03:47 PM   #252
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I would pay good money for this option.
Almost perfect way to watch, but I would listen to Mike Emrick do play by play alone.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:47 PM   #253
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Everything about Sportsnet NHL broadcasts is terrible. The production and on air personalities are hard to watch. Hrudey is one of the worst color guys in the business.

I would be very excited if they moved to TSN.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 04:11 PM   #254
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Your argument makes no sense. People shouldn't complain about Cassie because we can mute the broadcast or listen to the radio? WTF. I think Cassie is average at best. Frankly not sure how people can think she is good or great at her job. Maybe the standards for local hockey broadcasts are too low. I'm not a huge fan of Hrudey either, but he is a step up on Cassie.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 04:13 PM   #255
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like they did in Winnipeg TSN would likely want all broadcast rights which could eventually spell the end of the fan 960, I have to say it wouldn't break my heart to lose Wills
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:19 PM   #256
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I dont understand why there is no pregame coverage....Why is it the Misplays of the month or whatever for the 30 mins before a game?!
gt4flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gt4flames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 04:25 PM   #257
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
2) The Flames' national rights would still be with Sportsnet so it would be an interesting dynamic.
Is it interesting though? Isn't that the exact situation that Winnipeg, Montreal and Toronto are in right now? Or is there something I'm missing?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:43 PM   #258
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default I hate Sportsnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
A good analyst adds to the enjoyment of the game by outlining things that are not easily picked up by the viewer. It has nothing to do with knowing the players - it's about passing on deeper insights to the viewers

Cassie Campbell is by no means going ‘rogue’ in failing to do that.
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 04:47 PM   #259
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt4flames View Post
I dont understand why there is no pregame coverage....Why is it the Misplays of the month or whatever for the 30 mins before a game?!

For the same reason why most stuff is crap.

$
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:51 PM   #260
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Tbh I kind of miss the days where there was a variety of different flavours of Flames coverage. Some days you got Loubo/Kerr on SN, sometimes Hughson on CBC, sometimes Cuthbert on TSN. Helped keep things interesting. I wouldn't mind returning to a split system.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote