Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #21
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gulutzan cost us the use of an elite defenceman for 2 years with his Eakins like coaching.

People wanted to trade him for peanuts, believing he regressed as a player rather than blame the atrocious misuse under GG.

Not just Brodie regressed poorly, so did Giordano, and Hamonic. Giordano was still good, but he wasn't forced to change how he played aside from cutting his offence in half. Hamonic looks like the player we traded a first rounder and 2 2nd picks for without regret again.

Just so happy to see a GG-free Brodie tearing it up.

Last edited by Firebot; 11-20-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #22
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

I remember after the first game of Gulatzan’s tenure... why did he break up Gio & Brodie?
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:40 PM   #23
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
I remember after the first game of Gulatzan’s tenure... why did he break up Gio & Brodie?
He "spread out the wealth" with Gio, Brodie, Hamilton each on their own pairing.

Which theoretically might be smart....if real life was EA sports.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 04:49 PM   #24
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

You know the really stupid thing about GG? GG stubbornly refused to move Brodie back to his preferred right side all season long. But then once Brodie was knocked out for the rest of the season with a concussion, GG had to switch up the pairs and put defensemen on their non-shooting sides -- I think it was Stone (right shot) put on the left with Andersson (also right shot).
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:07 PM   #25
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
He "spread out the wealth" with Gio, Brodie, Hamilton each on their own pairing.

Which theoretically might be smart....if real life was EA sports.

GIo and Hamilton were on the same pairing. It was about handedness. The truly amazing thing is that Gulutzan refused to try Brodie on his off side, even though he had proven success there.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:13 PM   #26
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
GIo and Hamilton were on the same pairing. It was about handedness. The truly amazing thing is that Gulutzan refused to try Brodie on his off side, even though he had proven success there.
Talking about specifically game 1 of the dark GG era.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:28 PM   #27
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Brodie. Still the most offensively dynamic defencemen on the Flames.

I do think that playing on the left hurt him, but I really believe it was the systems that really hurt his game. With a system that fits him better (and most of the defencemen on the team, if not all), it is no surprise that he is looking great again and positively impacting games more and more regularly again.

He is a treat to watch again. I was really cringing at the thought that the Flames may end up trading him away. So glad when it was Hamilton and not him.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 05:50 PM   #28
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can see Brodie's confidence growing with every game. Over the last handful, he has arguably been as good as he was pre GG. It's great to see. He and Giordano are a legit top pairing on a contending team.

It's like we got Lindholm, Hanifin AND Brodie in the trade!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 06:57 PM   #29
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
You can see Brodie's confidence growing with every game. Over the last handful, he has arguably been as good as he was pre GG. It's great to see. He and Giordano are a legit top pairing on a contending team.

It's like we got Lindholm, Hanifin AND Brodie in the trade!
We also got Hamonic, who plays extremely well with Hanifin. With Brodie, not so much.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:18 PM   #30
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
His fiance was diagnosed with MS in October 2015.
i dont ever want to presume something about a players personal life, because we really have no idea what goes on behind closed doors, however.......

brodie's play utterly fell of a cliff around the time this was made public. i am very very happy for him that he's been able to find a way to get back to where he was like when he looked like a norris caliber defenseman. whatever the reason for the drop off, i think everyone - player, club, fans - can all be over the moon that brodie is back to the quality of play we came to expect from him
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:11 PM   #31
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Mark Giordano appreciation thread. I was ready to give up on Brodie earlier this year, but just having Gio there has allowed him to become so comfortable again, and he's returning to the strong play of three years ago.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #32
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have to admit he's really settled down in the last few weeks. I think whats happened is he simplified his game. Less is indeed more with TJ.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:12 PM   #33
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am very glad that the Brodano pairing picked up where they left off. Hanifin-Hamonic is an extremely nice fit as well so it is safe to say our blue line is much improved from last year

I do think Brodie will be trade bait next summer. He will be entering the last year of his deal and is due for a raise to 5.5-6.5M per for 5-6 years. With Hanifin signed long term, Valimaki, Andersson, Kylington I can easily see Brodie being the odd man out. Gio is not going anywhere. Hamonic brings a needed element and wants to be in Western Canada so I think he is re-signed.

At the draft trade Brodie for a 1st to help stockpile the cupboards and free up $4.65M for Tkachuk’s extension and number 1 goalie. Definitely keep him for this season though.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:03 AM   #34
minnow
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He had a couple of years that seemed to be full of great turmoil, the MS, a marriage, a child, all while GG is messing with two years of his prime.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:13 AM   #35
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Mark Giordano appreciation thread. I was ready to give up on Brodie earlier this year, but just having Gio there has allowed him to become so comfortable again, and he's returning to the strong play of three years ago.
Come on now, can you give Brodie himself credit or just Gio ?

Nobody will deny Gio is amazing. So let’s acknowledge how well Brodie plays with Gio in the Brodie thread
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:30 AM   #36
GaiJin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Brodie seems to be skating back at speed now and with more confidence. The only problem is on the breakout, he's a one trick pony and most teams have him scouted out as to how he exits the zone, he needs to mix it up a bit so he doesn't get picked off in the neutral zone so much.
GaiJin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:18 AM   #37
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Glad to see both Gio and Brodie excelling. The team needs that. And even better to see Hamonic really stepping up and playing great with Hanifin. And can't forget the rookies who are also playing great.
Yup, I haven't felt this good about our defense since maybe ever, and that's also a statement about our coaching.

While Brodie immediately looked better with Gio, he also had some pretty rough games and looked quite sloppy at times. While a new system and new partner play big roles here, it seems like some mental stuff has also been fixed during the season.

Hamonic is another player who has taken
a clear step forward recently, Hanifin seems to be progressing, and when you add how comfortable our rookie D pairing looks, and Gio in full beast mode, that's all of our defense playing more or less to their potential at once, and getting better.

That doesn't happen by accident, there has to be some good coaching going on right now. Huska likely deserves some credit (he's the defense guy, right?), and Peters obviously.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2018, 08:40 AM   #38
Movechkin
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I love that Brodie is back! Sure some may say he's a benefactor of playing with Gio, but I think they both benefit from playing with each other. They compliment each other and have chemistry with each other. It's no surprise Gio is back to Norris level Gio and Brodie is back to awesome Brodie at the same time.
Movechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #39
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Brodie has definitely turned his game around with Gio this year, but I still do not like some of the very poor turn overs he serves up nearly every game coming out of the defensive zone. Hopefully he can continue to shore this aspect of his game up as he settles into his old role. His success is clearly tied to playing with Gio, who makes everyone around him better but you can't complain too much if it's working and the team is winning.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:20 AM   #40
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Brodie is now 6th in the NHL in +/-

Only one point out of second, and three away from first.

Last edited by troutman; 11-22-2018 at 10:24 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote